Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished up the install for my AddW1 oil catch cans. Install was fairly easy they now have the mounting brackets designed for the K5. They're even planning to use my install photos for the official installation guide!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok call me ignorant but what is this and what does it do?
So as your engine runs a little bit of oil and fuel vapor slip out without being combusted and your pcv and ccv route these back into your intake to be combusted for emission reasons. However this gunks up your intake manifolds over time so putting a catch can I between the valve and the intake filters out that oil and fuel vapor. GDI engines like ours are especially bad.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
Wolf Grey K5 GT-Line, Magnetic Black 370z
49 Posts
Looks good! The red clamps are a nice touch, in the sea of black plastic covers and hoses. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good! The red clamps are a nice touch, in the sea of black plastic covers and hoses. :ROFLMAO:
Thanks! I just ordered another set to put on the other can and a couple of single clamps to go on the other ends of the hoses. Definitely livens up the engine bay a bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably nothing. I just think the ones I got are more aestheticlly pleasing. Plus they have custom brackets for the K5 where as the Amazon one you'll have to make your own bracket 🤷

·
Registered
43 Posts
My comment was not meant to offend. Each person is different and each is entitled do what's best for them.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Are the 1.6t gdi and mpi like the 2.5T?
As I understand it, the 1.6T engine is only GDI while the 2.5T engine is GDI and MPI (a.k.a. dual injection). Since the 2.5T is dual injection by design, that engine doesn't need to worry about an oil catch can.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
434 Posts
As I understand it, the 1.6T engine is only GDI while the 2.5T engine is GDI and MPI (a.k.a. dual injection). Since the 2.5T is dual injection by design, that engine doesn't need to worry about an oil catch can.
That's what I was trying to get to.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
74 Posts
excuse my ignorance; but what does this catch can do that much cheaper doesn't? Amazon $26

The important part that you can't see is the baffling inside the catch can. Likely the cheaper one is not as efficient at separating the oil from the air mixture and/or not regulating the systems pressure properly. Not to mention the original set is a dual can system. If you put a catch can on that doesn't have decent baffling, it will just route everything back into the intake with no pressure management, which is not good

1 - 20 of 21 Posts