Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before I purchased my K5, I looked into the difference in the 1.6T and the 2.5T. One of the main differences besides the displacement was that the 1.6 T is GDI (gas direct injection) while the 2.5T is Dual Injection (GDI and multi-port injection).

From what I understand, carbon build up is one of the drawbacks of a GDI engine. A dual injected engine has its ports cleaned by having fuel regularly injected through it so they don't have to worry about carbon build up.

The question I have is this: how regularly should we have the port cleaned in order to prevent carbon build up to become a problem? I know doing so can also help prevent the engine from making a hard knocking sound.

I'm just wondering so as to have some preventative maintenance done to my car and keep it running longer.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GTLine AWD
37 Posts
From what I understand in the manual, using "top tier" gas helps and Kia sells an additive as well.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line FWD
46 Posts
So before I purchased my K5, I looked into the difference in the 1.6T and the 2.5T. One of the main differences besides the displacement was that the 1.6 T is GDI (gas direct injection) while the 2.5T is Dual Injection (GDI and multi-port injection).

From what I understand, carbon build up is one of the drawbacks of a GDI engine. A dual injected engine has its ports cleaned by having fuel regularly injected through it so they don't have to worry about carbon build up.

The question I have is this: how regularly should we have the port cleaned in order to prevent carbon build up to become a problem? I know doing so can also help prevent the engine from making a hard knocking sound.

I'm just wondering so as to have some preventative maintenance done to my car and keep it running longer.
Did you figure out what to do about this one yet? the OM recommends to add fuel additive at every 6k interval which sounds like every oil change.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Joonx86
I ended up doing an intake cleaner just a little over 3,000 miles. There was white smoke coming out of the exhaust afterwards so that was a good sign.

I'm just going to keep up with the intake cleaning at every 3,000 miles or so.

As for additives, I've always been filling up with Chevron since before I got the car. The Chevron gas station nearby is usually priced the lowest in my area, alongside Wawa's down the street, so that's the gas I usually get. It should help keep the cylinders clean for a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Joonx86
I ended up doing an intake cleaner just a little over 3,000 miles. There was white smoke coming out of the exhaust afterwards so that was a good sign.

I'm just going to keep up with the intake cleaning at every 3,000 miles or so.

As for additives, I've always been filling up with Chevron since before I got the car. The Chevron gas station nearby is usually priced the lowest in my area, alongside Wawa's down the street, so that's the gas I usually get. It should help keep the cylinders clean for a while.
What brand intake cleaner did you end up using/ recommend?

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What brand intake cleaner did you end up using/ recommend?
I used the STP Car Intake Cleaner. It's pricey compared to the others but it also comes with a nozzle that hangs from your hood and a timer that sprays for you. I don't have a long enough reach to reach around my windshield and hood to spray while I rev the engine from the driver seat.

I'm gonna try to see if I can take off the nozzle mechanism from the empty can and reuse it next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts