Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first oil change done at 6k miles at the dealership. I paid for the oil change and tire rotation but declined the $80 fuel additive they recommended as I was unsure exactly what it was. Do they use a Kia factory additive or can I buy the additive myself and do it to my own car? What alternatives work similar that I could perform myself? My understanding is that fuel additives help clear up the carbon build up in the engine, correct? Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
116 Posts
I use Royal Purple Atomizer, bc it has PEA, and have done 3 now, just had my oil changed for the second time. It's purpose is to clean the fuel system, more specifically the injectors and valves where the fuel mixture hits, and carbon can build up over time. Something something GDI motor, to make it short. The idea is using it early in the engine life is preventative, to keep carbon build up from accumulating. If there is a lot of carbon built up later in the engine life, a fuel injector cleaner is not going to get it clean. You'd have to walnut blast it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
^^How exactly is the cleaner cleaning the valves if the engine is GDI? In a port injection engine fuel flows around the valve. Cleaning is a byproduct of this process. In gdi, fuel is injected directly into the engine, never touching the valve backsides.

To the OP, IMO stick with a top tier fuel and you should be fine. Try to minimize short trips so engine does fully warm up and operate at operating temp for some period of time.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is the 1.6T is gdi only, not gdi and mpi like the 2.5T is.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
940 Posts
I'm not sure either... lol

I personally use a dedicated intake cleaner that cleans both the throttle body and intake valves by spraying into the air intake after the MAF sensor. It's made specifically to clean up and prevent carbon build up in GDI engines and also contains PEA.

A fuel system cleaner is mixed in with your fuel in the fuel tank and, therefore, gets direct injected with the rest of the fuel and never really touches the throttle body nor behind the intake valves. It's still good to use for cleaning other elements like the PCV, spark plugs, injectors, cylinders and valve face, and some other things during the gas exhaust process, though.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
940 Posts
Sorry yeah, getting back on topic, additives is only really needed if you often fill up at gas stations that don't use Top Tier gas. Typically, this means the gas already has cleaning agents mixed in (i.e., Techron, V-Power).

Check out TopTierGas.com for a list of known Top Tier Gas partners. You'd be surprised at how many are already Top Tier partners. I was definitely surprised to see Citgo and Costco on the list. lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
^^How exactly is the cleaner cleaning the valves if the engine is GDI? In a port injection engine fuel flows around the valve. Cleaning is a byproduct of this process. In gdi, fuel is injected directly into the engine, never touching the valve backsides.

To the OP, IMO stick with a top tier fuel and you should be fine. Try to minimize short trips so engine does fully warm up and operate at operating temp for some period of time.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is the 1.6T is gdi only, not gdi and mpi like the 2.5T is.
The 1.6 is not multi port injection. But any blow by in the turbo system, as well as the recirculation from the factory (assuming you aren't using an oil catch can) will still help keep the valves clean. There isn't much else you can do. Unfortunately, you won't know what kind of fuel was in the car before you owned it. I've seen the dealership fueling vehicles locally, and they are not top tier fuel stations.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was surprised to see BP wasn't on that list but they're most definitely a Top Tier gasoline. BP joins ’top tier’ detergent gasoline program
I never even noticed they weren't on the map. I go to Shell, who offers 5¢ off every fill up, but sometimes BP is cheaper with no extra discount. My punk town doesn't even have a gas station at it's Meijer store 😄 Marathon if I'm in the middle of nowhere

1 - 9 of 9 Posts