Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know if anyone else has had the problem my 2021 GT (7,000 miles) is experiencing..

When traveling at Highway speeds and then accelerating at half throttle or more after only a few seconds the car rapidly begins to overheat. The first time it happened i actually received an overheat warning message and audio tone. The car cools down quickly after cruising without any additional acceleration. I dont live in a particularly hot area (Southern California) and it has been happening in 70 degree weather.

The car is at the dealership right now but they cant seem to diagnose it at this point. They are able to re-create the issue during a test drive but cant seem to figure it out in the shop, no codes or other clues. The thermostat is functioning properly, coolant is full, radiator fans kick in and there are no apparent leaks. Really baffling...

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
669 Posts
They told me that the thermostat is working while in the shop, that was my first guess too. The problem is only re-creatable while under load so its hard for them to test if the thermostat doesnt work while accelerating.
If all else is fine, I'd change the thermostat and see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could it be a loose hose somewhere or perhaps a low level of coolant? Maybe have the coolant flushed and see if it helps.
Dealer found a loose electrical connector to the water pump that was causing the problem, the water pump wasnt flowing enough coolant apparently.. Took it on a few good rips on the highway and it doesnt seem to overheat anymore.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
Dealer found a loose electrical connector to the water pump that was causing the problem, the water pump wasnt flowing enough coolant apparently.. Took it on a few good rips on the highway and it doesnt seem to overheat anymore.
Nice, glad to see they found the source of the problem! And yeah, I would follow up and make certain the heads are still within tolerance. Should be alright as the temp warning limit should be set below the actual limit to prevent any long term damage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it was my car I would insist on having the head took off and checked to see if it's warped or not it doesn't always show up at first it might at a later time either driving on a hot day or sitting in a traffic jam or anywhere you are putting the engine under a load might have the block checked as well keep a close eye on the oil for signs of water being mixed in with the oil sure signs of a warp or crack head

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: the car started the same overheating behavior again, its back at the dealership.. So far they have told me that ''this is a weird one" and they opened up a line of communication with Kia's engineers to try and find out why it is happening. I also noticed that when accelerating and upshifting into 4th gear the acceleration seems to drop off, feels like a slipping clutch and the car is struggling... Told the dealer about that problem too so hopefully they can fix it while they have the car...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Update: the car started the same overheating behavior again, its back at the dealership.. So far they have told me that ''this is a weird one" and they opened up a line of communication with Kia's engineers to try and find out why it is happening. I also noticed that when accelerating and upshifting into 4th gear the acceleration seems to drop off, feels like a slipping clutch and the car is struggling... Told the dealer about that problem too so hopefully they can fix it while they have the car...
Just tell the Dealer to REPLACE THE ENGINE OR GIVE YOU A NEW CAR AND BE DONE WITH IT AND IF THEY ARE UNWILLING TO WORK WITH YOU TAKE IT A STEP UP AND CALL THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND SO ONAND SO ON YOU WILL GET SOME THING DONE AND QUIT PLAYING AROUND WITH THE DEALER THEY ARE HOPING YOU WILL FINALLEY GIVE UP

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm curious to know if anyone else has had the problem my 2021 GT (7,000 miles) is experiencing..

When traveling at Highway speeds and then accelerating at half throttle or more after only a few seconds the car rapidly begins to overheat. The first time it happened i actually received an overheat warning message and audio tone. The car cools down quickly after cruising without any additional acceleration. I dont live in a particularly hot area (Southern California) and it has been happening in 70 degree weather.

The car is at the dealership right now but they cant seem to diagnose it at this point. They are able to re-create the issue during a test drive but cant seem to figure it out in the shop, no codes or other clues. The thermostat is functioning properly, coolant is full, radiator fans kick in and there are no apparent leaks. Really baffling...
Check your lower radiator hose see if it's warm after the car is at the operating temp

·
Registered
4 Posts

Are your fans constantly running and is your lower radiator hose cool after engine reached operating temp that's what mine is doing I'm going to call the dealership in the morning

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are your fans constantly running and is your lower radiator hose cool after engine reached operating temp that's what mine is doing I'm going to call the dealership in the morning
its still at the dealership and thats one of the things they are telling me they are going to check. My Radiator fans would kick on shortly after reaching operating temps and would stay on for the duration of my drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts

its still at the dealership and thats one of the things they are telling me they are going to check. My Radiator fans would kick on shortly after reaching operating temps and would stay on for the duration of my drive.
I'm having the same issue and the lower radiator hose is cold

1 - 20 of 26 Posts