Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced moisture in the trunk? The left side of my trunk carpet was moist and I peeled it back and there was definitely condensation. Not sure if it’s an active leak or not. We did have a bunch of rain today.
Brown Wood Sleeve Textile Rectangle

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
I would check to see if the trunk seals for the lid are on properly first. Also note if there are any wet marks on the trunk lid liner or on the side nearest to the wet spot on the trunk floor. That should give you an indication of where the leak might be coming from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would check to see if the trunk seals for the lid are on properly first. Also note if there are any wet marks on the trunk lid liner or on the side nearest to the wet spot on the trunk floor. That should give you an indication of where the leak might be coming from.
yeah. I couldn’t find any obvious point of entry but about a quarter of the trunk floor carpet is wet on the left side up to the back of the rear passenger seat. I didn’t check the “shelf” under the rear window but will take a look today. Dropping at the dealer after work today. First (new) car I’ve ever had leak. Big concern here in South Florida.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line FWD
46 Posts
This is very common in Korea. Please visit your dealership and have them repair.

Apparently they've got a TSB for this common leak issue caused by improper sealing

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
If it is leaking there then it's possible the leak is coming from the glossy black trim piece on the trunk lid...

I would definitely take the liner off the lid and check to see if there was any indications of water seeping in from one of the pins holding the piece in place. A small flathead screw driver (or the corner of a credit card) is enough to pop them off.

It's also where you would access your rear turning and reverse lights if you so choose to replace them with LED or something. lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is leaking there then it's possible the leak is coming from the glossy black trim piece on the trunk lid...

I would definitely take the liner off the lid and check to see if there was any indications of water seeping in from one of the pins holding the piece in place. A small flathead screw driver (or the corner of a credit card) is enough to pop them off.

It's also where you would access your rear turning and reverse lights if you so choose to replace them with LED or something. lol
So pop the trunk and then the liner on the underside of the lid itself? The car has been at the dealer going on it’s second day now. Sat in the rain and then hit with a pressure washer - of course the dealer cannot find the source and asked me if I may have left something open by mistake……I was like, are you serious? Leave the trunk open by mistake? Jeez.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the dealer could not find anything. Next day after work and rain, Guess what, it was wet again. Dried it off, removed interior and poured about a gallon of water over the rear window - BINGO - leak identified. Dealer spent 2 days and could locate??? What a crock. Here are some crappy photos but coming from the seem in the mirror shot and ending up on the floor of the trunk Think they’ll just shoot some sealer up in there and call it good?? I hope it doesn’t back up then and enter somewhere else

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Damn, that really sucks... 😔 Looks like it hadn't been sealed properly from the factory with that large gap there. Hope they do a proper fix.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line FWD
46 Posts
Damn, that really sucks... 😔 Looks like it hadn't been sealed properly from the factory with that large gap there. Hope they do a proper fix.
This is not really what I expected... build quality issues have been really problematic in Korea...and I didn't expect the same would happen here.. I hope they issue an official TSB here in the states also..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is not really what I expected... build quality issues have been really problematic in Korea...and I didn't expect the same would happen here.. I hope they issue an official TSB here in the states also..
And today I called, emailed and texted the service department with no call back, trying to get a status update. Had to extend my rental. I’ll be near the dealer tomorrow and going to pop in at lunch. No updates at all since they told me last night they need to reseal the rear window. I’m not sold on that either as I wasn’t getting any water into the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line FWD
46 Posts

Looks like this is what they are getting in Korea.

The part's got some improvement like rubber weather strips.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line FWD
46 Posts
And today I called, emailed and texted the service department with no call back, trying to get a status update. Had to extend my rental. I’ll be near the dealer tomorrow and going to pop in at lunch. No updates at all since they told me last night they need to reseal the rear window. I’m not sold on that either as I wasn’t getting any water into the passenger compartment.

This looks to be where the leaks are coming from.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to be leaking...but I really hate how much water gets under there, regardless. Whenever I finish washing my car and go to dry, that area is always like a neverending drip fest. lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So they resealed the rear window, messed up some paint so that’s a whole other ordeal now - but so far so good. Leaked checked myself, all good. Big rains today so that’ll be the true test then I can put this to rest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts