Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
2022 Kia K5 GT-Line
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been averaging 22-25mpg in the city, is that normal? I already put about 2,000 miles on my K5. I haven't done an oil change yet and I'm pretty sure I've been only using Top Tier detergent gas at gas stations. I used to be getting 27-29, but now I'm not sure what could be the reason.

Registered
2022 K5 Gt-Line Premium AWD
I've been averaging 22-25mpg in the city, is that normal? I already put about 2,000 miles on my K5. I haven't done an oil change yet and I'm pretty sure I've been only using Top Tier detergent gas at gas stations. I used to be getting 27-29, but now I'm not sure what could be the reason.
That's about all I get , AWD...I see everyone posting better numbers 馃

Registered
'22 GT-Line AWD
I forgot to mention, I have FWD.... I should be getting higher numbers. 馃槶
Temps dropping in the northern hemisphere, have you kept your tires inflated to the recommended levels? That can usually net you a couple MPG. Fun fact, this also works for gasoline since it's purchased by volume and not weight. Meaning if you buy gas when it's cooler outside (like in the early morning or late at night), you will actually get a little more.

I'd also recommend checking the air filter and cabin air filter, make sure everything is breathing correctly so you're not running rich to compensate. SHOULDN'T be an issue in a brand new car, but it's easy to check them to see if they're clean.

Other than that all you can do is practice better driving habits. Go easier on the pedal, tap your brakes lighter and more frequently, don't let the engine run idle, etc. :)

Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
Also, have your intake cleaned about every 2-3000 miles. That should keep the throttle body and valves running cleaner for longer which should keep your MPG up and should also help keep idling speeds smoother. You can do it yourself easily, just need a Phillips (+) head screw driver (or a 10mm socket), a can of intake cleaner, and a steady foot if you don't have anything to hold the accelerator down.

STP sells an intake cleaner made for GDI engines (PEA is an active ingredient used in it) that has a mechanism to hang on the hood and spray it for you if you can't reach around to spray it into the intake yourself while holding down the accelerator.

Registered
22' Kia K5 GT-Line Ebony Black FWD
I skimmed through my owners manual for the same reason. It states that your cars gas mileage wont be fully regulated until around 4000 miles, so hopefully by then the numbers improve. I've also been seeing people claim that the K5 performs better with premium gasoline, so I would give that a shot as well. I'm still under 1000 miles on my vehicle so I can't say for sure, just figured I'd share what I know.

Registered
'22 GT-Line AWD
I skimmed through my owners manual for the same reason. It states that your cars gas mileage wont be fully regulated until around 4000 miles, so hopefully by then the numbers improve. I've also been seeing people claim that the K5 performs better with premium gasoline, so I would give that a shot as well. I'm still under 1000 miles on my vehicle so I can't say for sure, just figured I'd share what I know.
You can run 91 or 93 if you want but it won't make a difference in terms of power or efficiency. Older article but still great at explaining it in better detail:

Something else to consider is your city commute may vary pretty wildly depending how many stop lights you hit on any given day. A couple MPG I wouldn't worry about but if it drops considerably then you may have a problem.

Registered
22' Kia K5 GT-Line Ebony Black FWD
Yeah I've been hearing mixed reviews about the premium gas thing, figured it probably wouldn't be worth the extra money. Right now I'm averaging 27-28 which isn't bad, but hopefully it goes up once I get a few grand on the odometer and an oil change.

Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
2021 GT-Line AWD I'm averaging just under 32 MPG with a little under 5000 miles on it. Most of my commute is highway. Using speedway 87 octane gas which I don't believe is Top Tier gas. This is actually more than I used to get with my old 2016 Optima, which was FWD (2.4L). Traffic has not quite returned to pre-pandemic levels around here though which is likely helping the MPG on the K5. I've yet to see what the gas mileage will drop to in the winter.

Registered
8700 miles as of this morning. In town I average 26mpg, '21 AWD GT-Line. On the interstate cruise set at 72mph I'll see high 30s depending on wind direction. I run 91 octane because I can get it at Costco for the same as regular anywhere else, once the price changes I'll switch to regular.

Registered
Anyone live in LA? Lol man my MPG average from 16-19mph smh. I currently have under 1,500k miles and I am hoping it gets better because the gas prices are ridiculous but then I have to remember that traffic in Los Angeles ain鈥檛 the same as every other states

Registered
'22 GT-Line AWD
Anyone live in LA? Lol man my MPG average from 16-19mph smh. I currently have under 1,500k miles and I am hoping it gets better because the gas prices are ridiculous but then I have to remember that traffic in Los Angeles ain鈥檛 the same as every other states
1,500k huh? You've already driven it 1,500,000? Wow these things must be built like tanks! 馃槀

Joking aside, I think if I still lived in SoCal I'd have bought an electric car. The stop and go traffic in San Diego was terrible even ten years ago when I was stationed out there. I can't imagine what it's like now, and with those gas prices. You're a trooper.

Registered
1,500k huh? You've already driven it 1,500,000? Wow these things must be built like tanks! 馃槀

Joking aside, I think if I still lived in SoCal I'd have bought an electric car. The stop and go traffic in San Diego was terrible even ten years ago when I was stationed out there. I can't imagine what it's like now, and with those gas prices. You're a trooper.
Lol! Dammit! Maybe I should鈥檝e read my comment before posting. I鈥檓 sure you understood but just in case, I meant to say 1,500 miles haha.
SD traffic is for sure crazy! We drive out there every other week for soccer tournament for the kiddos. I never really considered an electric vehicle but maybe the EV6 might be something to consider. Hopefully it looks as good as the pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts