Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Notice some lag uneveness on light pedal acceleration and I lost about 2mpg since 28k. So I swapped the plugs today at 31k.

Definitely needed it. Idle and low speed acceleration much better.

This is an easy job with this car. Took about 35 minutes including set up and tear down. Pics attached for you curious types

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
977 Posts
Damn you drive a lot. Lol.
I have 17k kms (10.6k miles) and think it's a lot. Have the car for 15 months.
Did you check the gap of the old plugs or the new ones?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Love how easy it is to work on these small 4 cylinder engines. Just did my ladies cx5 spark plugs about a month ago at 60k. Also replaced with NGK IR. Not trying to knock on your work or anything but just for future reference for people who see this thread. Do NOT put antiseize on spark plus. Taken from ngk website itself- "NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize.

Anti-seize can act as a lubricant, altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage and/or metal shell stretch." I used to work as a tech at a Mini/BMW dealer and we also never used antiseize or any coating on spark plugs.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't bother because you can see how worn the old ones are in the side by side comparison pic. I already tossed them in the trash. But I will guage it next time for you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love how easy it is to work on these small 4 cylinder engines. Just did my ladies cx5 spark plugs about a month ago at 60k. Also replaced with NGK IR. Not trying to knock on your work or anything but just for future reference for people who see this thread. Do NOT put antiseize on spark plus. Taken from ngk website itself- "NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize.

Anti-seize can act as a lubricant, altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage and/or metal shell stretch." I used to work as a tech at a Mini/BMW dealer and we also never used antiseize or any coating on spark plugs.

Good to know... Thanks. Looking at the old factory plugs, not sure that they were dry...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also had a dealer repair that involved pulling and moving plugs to various cylinders so the dealer tech may have used some as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also had a dealer repair that involved pulling and moving plugs to various cylinders so the dealer tech may have used some as well.
Oh yeah totally possible, especially if they were trying to diagnose like a misfire and they were pulling and installing them back with the head still hot the tech might of thrown some coating on them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts