Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed in the user manual that Kia suggests running snow tires 4 PSI higher than the recommended cold PSI on the door jamb. Anyone doing this or know why it’s recommended? I just inflated my snow tires to 39 PSI so we’ll see how it does.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First you should have all terrain Tires on your K5 And when Winter hits the Air pressure in the tires changes just like they do during SPRING SUMMER AND FALL AND NOW WINTER WOW I GUESS THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT HAVE NEVER LEARNED AND DON'T TRY RUNNING NARROW TIRES DURING WINTER NOT MUCH TRACTION IN A NARROW TIRE

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First you should have all terrain Tires on your K5 And when Winter hits the Air pressure in the tires changes just like they do during SPRING SUMMER AND FALL AND NOW WINTER WOW I GUESS THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT HAVE NEVER LEARNED AND DON'T TRY RUNNING NARROW TIRES DURING WINTER NOT MUCH TRACTION IN A NARROW TIRE
Yea I know how temperature affects tire pressure but I thought it was interesting that Kia recommended adding 4 psi to the tires cold, so instead of 35 they would be 39 cold.

I’m not sure where the more narrow tire width stuff came from but a more narrow tire is better in the snow as it allows it to cut through better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yea I know how temperature affects tire pressure but I thought it was interesting that Kia recommended adding 4 psi to the tires cold, so instead of 35 they would be 39 cold.

I’m not sure where the more narrow tire width stuff came from but a more narrow tire is better in the snow as it allows it to cut through better.
I live in MO and Never put Snow Tires on any vehicle I ever owned never put on any Narrow Tires just for Winter I used All Season Tires on my Cars run my Tires just a little under what's called for all the way around the same pressure Been driving since I have been 16 lived in Ark for 10 yrs and down there they don't plow the Roads to well And I never have gotten Stuck Don't know what this FWD K5 IS GOING TO DO IN THE WINTER AND ON THE ROADS JUST TAKE SLOW AND EASY AND PLAY IT BY EAR AND IF THE ROADS ARE BAD AND YOU HAVE TO GET OUT DON'T BE IN A RUSH AND LET THE CAR TELL YOU HOW TO DRIVE IT WILL LET YOU KNOW

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in MO and Never put Snow Tires on any vehicle I ever owned never put on any Narrow Tires just for Winter I used All Season Tires on my Cars run my Tires just a little under what's called for all the way around the same pressure Been driving since I have been 16 lived in Ark for 10 yrs and down there they don't plow the Roads to well And I never have gotten Stuck Don't know what this FWD K5 IS GOING TO DO IN THE WINTER AND ON THE ROADS JUST TAKE SLOW AND EASY AND PLAY IT BY EAR AND IF THE ROADS ARE BAD AND YOU HAVE TO GET OUT DON'T BE IN A RUSH AND LET THE CAR TELL YOU HOW TO DRIVE IT WILL LET YOU KNOW
I too have been driving in winter conditions since I was 16 and made it through many winters with all seasons, that said since I’ve switched to snow tires I absolutely will never go back to all seasons in the winter. Snow tires are simply better in every way in the cold and snow, just because you can make do with all seasons doesn’t mean they are the best option.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too have been driving in winter conditions since I was 16 and made it through many winters with all seasons, that said since I’ve switched to snow tires I absolutely will never go back to all seasons in the winter. Snow tires are simply better in every way in the cold and snow, just because you can make do with all seasons doesn’t mean they are the best option.
Neither are Snow Tires its the Way you know how to Drive in Bad weather the Road conditions if the Roads been plowed if theres ice on the Roads if there's hills Curves Traffic If the Snow is Blowing have the Roads been salted Treated Just because you have Snow tires doesn't mean you can drive like a Drag Racer Fly Down the Road like there's no tommorrow DO 100 mph I've seen 4 wheel Drives fly by me and Wind up Doing 360 and putting themselves in the Ditches Thinking they won't spin out or lose control they Drive a 4 wheel drive 4 by 4 Etc ,Etc its all about the way you know how to Drive and able to Control the Car or whatever you Drive I'm 65 yrs I used to Drive OTR and been and seen a lot of bad Weather and Bad and Careless Drivers in the Winter Months those who don't think just push that pedal down Why in the Hell do you think they Stop making Studded Snow tires if you are old enough to Remember what Reason? 21Hempheres

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
97 Posts
Neither are Snow Tires its the Way you know how to Drive in Bad weather the Road conditions if the Roads been plowed if theres ice on the Roads if there's hills Curves Traffic If the Snow is Blowing have the Roads been salted Treated Just because you have Snow tires doesn't mean you can drive like a Drag Racer Fly Down the Road like there's no tommorrow DO 100 mph I've seen 4 wheel Drives fly by me and Wind up Doing 360 and putting themselves in the Ditches Thinking they won't spin out or lose control they Drive a 4 wheel drive 4 by 4 Etc ,Etc its all about the way you know how to Drive and able to Control the Car or whatever you Drive I'm 65 yrs I used to Drive OTR and been and seen a lot of bad Weather and Bad and Careless Drivers in the Winter Months those who don't think just push that pedal down Why in the Hell do you think they Stop making Studded Snow tires if you are old enough to Remember what Reason? 21Hempheres
OK

Regardless, snow tires will outperform all season tires on snow and ice

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
Driving skills is one thing, having that extra traction is another, and also reassuring and preventative. If all drivers needed were some good driving skills, rally drivers wouldn't go out of their way to change to appropriate tires (be it snow tires, gravel tires, etc.) when doing their stage runs through the ice and snow.

And just like how AWD systems won't make up for driving skills, driving skills won't make up for the lack of traction due to inappropriate tires. It's especially dangerous not just for the driver but for others on the road when you have the opportunity to change out tires.

Granted, I've had very little experience in driving in snowy conditions and would probably have fun in driving in such adverse conditions, but I rather drivers take that extra safety step in mind than to tell them to "get good" and risk them getting into accidents.

·
Registered
31 Posts
OK

Regardless, snow tires will outperform all season tires on snow and ice
All Season Radial Tires are as Good as Snow Tires by the why did they Stop making Studded Snow Tires Since you are Stuck on them Heres Something Else if you are going to put on Snow tires and if you are Drivimg a AWD you better put them all the way around because if you don't you won't get your traction or your steering you will be sliding and spinning your wheels the Same if you have a FWD if you are going to Run Snow Tires and Spend that Money for Another set of Rims because When you Break down the Tires to change over and then when Spring Comes the Tire Shops won't put the Used Tires back on the Rims or wheels anymore to to Safety Hazards and Regulations so If You Have that Much Money to Play with then you go better buy 2 sets of wheels and Tires one set of 4 Snow Tires and wheels and the Set thats probably on the Car so total 8 Tires 8 wheels thats Money but that's you

·
Registered
'22 GT-Line AWD
71 Posts
Winter tires are king where it snows a shit load. I'd like to see you drive in 2 feet of snow with your excellent 4 seasons and super skills.
To be fair, all season tires will work fine here in MO most of the time for the FWD model. What that guy doesn't seem to understand, is that other places have much heavier snow and colder winters than we do in the Midwest. I ran all seasons on my Grand Cherokee with always on 4WD and had no issues last year, I'm hoping the AWD GT-Line does as well. :)

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
97 Posts
All Season Radial Tires are as Good as Snow Tires by the why did they Stop making Studded Snow Tires Since you are Stuck on them Heres Something Else if you are going to put on Snow tires and if you are Drivimg a AWD you better put them all the way around because if you don't you won't get your traction or your steering you will be sliding and spinning your wheels the Same if you have a FWD if you are going to Run Snow Tires and Spend that Money for Another set of Rims because When you Break down the Tires to change over and then when Spring Comes the Tire Shops won't put the Used Tires back on the Rims or wheels anymore to to Safety Hazards and Regulations so If You Have that Much Money to Play with then you go better buy 2 sets of wheels and Tires one set of 4 Snow Tires and wheels and the Set thats probably on the Car so total 8 Tires 8 wheels thats Money but that's you
It is too much work to read this without proper words, spelling or grammar.. can someone give me a tldr?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Winter tires are king where it snows a shit load. I'd like to see you drive in 2 feet of snow with your excellent 4 seasons and super skills.
I have Drove in 2 Feet of Snow here in Missouri back in 1981 Driving a Ford Custum F100 Pickup Truck for your info 302 Automatic Rear wheel Drive NO weight in the Bed of the Truck Had All Season Radial Tires DO you know what that Means probably not I will spell it out for you it means the tire has a Belt inside the Tire ok I guess you didn't know that you would have to buy a another set of wheels and tires because if you Break down the tires to put snow tires on the tire companys won't mount the tires back on because it breaks down the side wall of the tires making them a safety risk and they could be held liable Dobbs won't midas won't minekie won't remount used tires either . So in Order to have Snow Tires you have to buy 4 wheels 4 tires and depending on who or where you go it could cost But you thought you were Smarter and by buying A k5 whether it's a Gt Ex Lx LXS GT LINE YOU STILL HAVE TO BUY 4 WHEELS 4 SNOW TIRES IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN SNOW TIRES FOR THE WINTER AND REGARDLESS OF HOW YOU DRIVE IF YOU DON'T KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS PEDAL AND WATCH THOSE BRAKES YOU WILL EITHER BE SITTING IN A DITCH OR PEELING THE CAR OFF THE RAILLING LIKE I SAID I HAVE NEVER USED SNOW TIRES I HAD A GOOD TEACHER AND WHERE HE WAS FROM IT SNOWED and that's IDAHO I ANSWERED YOUR QUESITION ? NOW YOU ANSWER MY QUESITION WHY DID THEY DO AWAY WITH THE STUDDED SNOW TIRES AND WHEN THEY WERE AROUND HOW DID YOU REPLACE THE STUDS IN THE TIRES ???????

1 - 20 of 31 Posts