Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I'm usually over on the Optima forum, as I am a current owner of a 2016 Optima SX. I recognize a couple you (TXMike, 1stK5). Have been starting my initial car search, and have circled back to the K5GT, as it ticks most of the boxes. Just have a few questions if you don't mind.
1. Is anyone having oil consumption issues? At 105K, My Optima is using a quart every 600 miles. I'm basically waiting for the P1326 code as I keep it maintained/topped off.
2. Does the car handle well? I know this is subjective. My Optima is lowered on Truhart/Eibachs.
3. Buying experience. Did you guys have to contact multiple dealers to buy at sticker?

Thanks in advance to any replies!

·
Super Moderator
237 Posts
@jasonszero6
1. I wont be able to answer your question about the GT trim. But if you do, get the GT1 package.
2. I am looking at the Truhart shocks as they are the only ones available for this Gen. What's your thoughts?
3. You will have to call around to find a dealer to sell at MSRP. Thats just the way it works in todays market with this high inflation low inventory world we live in

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your insights. The Truharts are OK. Were nice and stiff at first, but after 55K they are getting soft. I have a sqeaking in the front, and clunk in the rear, but I did the install, and I am not exactly ASE certified 🤪. Also have an Eibach RSB and Luxon FSTB, which make a noticable difference.

·
Registered
392 Posts
1. only hve less than 4k mile, no issues yet. filled up on Friday and dipstick full. My experience with 4 cylider turbocharged engines, Owned 1 previously and son had one(Nissan and I think honda). After about 60k miles they start using oil.
2. Handling I love the handling. On a scale of 1-10, with my 3 previous vettes at 10. I would give my GT about a 7.5 or a bit more.
3. I puled on the lot not even looking for a K5 GT, went to look at a used Stinger they had. Didn't like the stinger they had for several reasons. The salesguy said he had something in the back still going through the dealer checks they had received that morning. He took me to the back showed me the car, we drove it around the block, they finished the dealer checks and 3 hours later I was driving it home. Wolf Grey with GT1 and Chestnut brown interior. BTW they wanted my vette on the lot so I was able to get the extra dealer profit removed and bought at MSRP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. only hve less than 4k mile, no issues yet. filled up on Friday and dipstick full. My experience with 4 cylider turbocharged engines, Owned 1 previously and son had one(Nissan and I think honda). After about 60k miles they start using oil.
2. Handling I love the handling. On a scale of 1-10, with my 3 previous vettes at 10. I would give my GT about a 7.5 or a bit more.
3. I puled on the lot not even looking for a K5 GT, went to look at a used Stinger they had. Didn't like the stinger they had for several reasons. The salesguy said he had something in the back still going through the dealer checks they had received that morning. He took me to the back showed me the car, we drove it around the block, they finished the dealer checks and 3 hours later I was driving it home. Wolf Grey with GT1 and Chestnut brown interior. BTW they wanted my vette on the lot so I was able to get the extra dealer profit removed and bought at MSRP.
Thanks for your input Wolfgrey. Looks like one needs to be persistent and patient when trying to get a good deal these days. Glad to hear you were able to get the car you wanted at a fair price. The last turbo car I had was a 78' Buick Regal Turbo when I was 16. Kept a case of oil in the trunk at all times. More smoke than Cheech and Chongs Van. Aside from the high oil consumption, car has been trouble free. Haven't even replaced a light bulb.
Seems like 90% of the GT's available in my area are Wolf Grey. Must be a popular color. Wish you many trouble free miles in yours. I'm going to look into taking one for a test drive.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
1,124 Posts
Just like @WolfGreyGuy , I went to the dealer and test drove a used stinger. As we were negotiating, sales manager told me they're expecting a wolf Grey GT (canadian model is fully loaded) and that peeked my curiosity. Had my 2015 optima sxt for trade and it was in February of 21 so still had negotiating powers lol. Signed for it then and there and received the car 2 weeks later. I have only seen 3 other GTs in the last 18 months which is a bonus but sucks at the same time cause would be nice to have others to meet with. As for the oil consumption....absolute zero. As for handling, it handles surprisingly well provided you can manage the oversteer. I've lowered mine on M&S springs and will be adding a rear torsion bar to help reduce the understeering along with swapping the summer tires for high performance tires which will help with the much needed grip. DCT is crisp and fast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First let me say I absolutely love the K5 GT. I was also looking at a new Ascot Green Stinger GT Line AWD. When I saw it in person it seemed kind of dull on the outside, although I did really dig the interior. The ride felt really stiff. Just wasn’t for me, but that same day someone was picking up a wolf gray GT with the GT-1 package. I just turned to the sales guy and said, “order me that!”.

1) I have 5k miles and no oil issues
2) For an overpowered FWD car I think it handles incredibly well, and when I feel oversteer I have found it to be completely controllable
3) I did contact multiple dealers. All but one had a $4-$5k mark up except one. That’s the one I went with and paid sticker. Ordered the car on 2/28/22, was delivered on 3/28/22. Based on what I’ve read here, that isn’t a typical experience. I’ve seen orders taking 3-9 months. Highly recommend the GT-1 package. I run hot, and I don’t think I’ll ever own a car without ventilated seats ever again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
5k miles on my '23 GT. No oil use. I've owned 3 turbo Optimas, and 2 turbo Stingers, and none of them burned oil. But I never put more than maybe 20k miles on any of them. I like new cars ;).

Handling is great IMO, but I don't track my cars, and while I'm a "spirited driver", I don't push my cars to anywhere near their limits. It used to be that FWD automatically meant it didn't handle well, had torque steer, pushed or plowed in corners, etc., etc., but enough engineering has gone in to these cars that those traits are largely gone or are controlled. I've often said that 90% of people can't tell FWD from RWD these days unless they spin the front tires.

Pricing? It's been hard to find MSRP for many months now. Most car dealers around here add a package of overpriced options (like window tint, paint treatment, fabric protection, etc.) in order to add a couple thousand to the price. In some cases you can negotiate that off, but you can also negotiate a higher price for your trade to offset it. There may be a dealer around that sells for straight MSRP, but you'll need to shop around to find him.

I really think you'll love the K5 GT, but as others have said, get the GT1 Pkg!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback and observations. I am going to find one at a local dealer and take it for a test drive. If I decide I want to buy, I will search in a 400 mile radius for a dealer willing to sell for sticker. It's funny, I've seen some dealers claim they do not have any markup, but when you click on the price they add a $2,000 "VIP package", which includes tint and door handle pocket protectors Think it stands for Vastly Increased Profit. LOL.
Since I still have a working car (knock on plastic), I might find a dealer willing to order one. And yes, I would definitely get the GT1 package, otherwise you guys would probably kick me off the forum:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I previously had a 2012 Optima SX (which I loved) and waited for a major KIA revamp. Bought my 2022 K5 GT in January 2022. There were significant shortages of available cars and paid over MRSP, but not by very much. I had asked several dealers for the car (didn't really care about the color). First one that called me got the sale. And yes, you want the GT1 package.

I have only about 7000 miles on the car, a mixture of local southern driving (hot, sandy, and humid) and long north-south interstate trips (including mountains).

I haven't noticed any problem with oil consumption or any other problem. Interestingly, I find that I do not use the paddles as much as I did in my Optima SX. I used the paddles extensively during my mountain climbs and descents. Didn't seem to need them with the K5. I'm sure some of the super smart people here will know why.

This car gives me as much joy as my prior Optima SX.

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I previously had a 2012 Optima SX (which I loved) and waited for a major KIA revamp. Bought my 2022 K5 GT in January 2022. There were significant shortages of available cars and paid over MRSP, but not by very much. I had asked several dealers for the car (didn't really care about the color). First one that called me got the sale. And yes, you want the GT1 package.

I have only about 7000 miles on the car, a mixture of local southern driving (hot, sandy, and humid) and long north-south interstate trips (including mountains).

I haven't noticed any problem with oil consumption or any other problem. Interestingly, I find that I do not use the paddles as much as I did in my Optima SX. I used the paddles extensively during my mountain climbs and descents. Didn't seem to need them with the K5. I'm sure some of the super smart people here will know why.

This car gives me as much joy as my prior Optima SX.

Good luck in your quest.
Better hp and torque figures for getting up those mountains for any given gear. The DCT seems to utilize more aggressive engine braking even while keeping it in automatic mode compared to a traditional torque converter.

Put it in sport mode, move the shifter over to the left, flick the paddle to about 3k rpm and ride that torque wave. ;)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I took mine to the track a couple months ago. All season tires hit a 14.2 quarter. Will do again on a trip to Houston probably in spring when I get rid of the all season tires and put on a nice set of summer tires, with the perceived performance that I have seemed to get from my new exhaust, bet I can get under 14.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Appreciate the latest feedback. I suppose it's probably too early to know if the 2.5 will have any potential issues at higher miles. Aside from gulping oil, my 2016 has not had any repairs aside from regular maintenance. Well, the dealer did replace the turbo at 98K when they misdiagnosed my oil consumption, saying the turbo was the culprit.
Looks like a couple of GT's are on their way to local dealerships. Will definitely check one out after Thanksgiving break. Wish they offered the GT with the red interior like the GT Line. Think it looks really sharp.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well ,you have a 100k warranty so depending on how much you drive might not be an issue. I personally have a truck for work supplied by my organization, only drive my GT on weekends and occasionally on a week night. 5 months in not even 4k miles.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
1,124 Posts
I took mine to the track a couple months ago. All season tires hit a 14.2 quarter. Will do again on a trip to Houston probably in spring when I get rid of the all season tires and put on a nice set of summer tires, with the perceived performance that I have seemed to get from my new exhaust, bet I can get under 14.
With stickier tires, you should be hitting high 13s.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts