Kia K5 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

· Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,396 Posts
Actually, the piano gloss finish is one of the reasons why I went with the GT-Line instead of the EX. lol Scratches on Piano gloss finishes, especially on high-traffic touch areas, is very hard to maintain without polishing once in a while.

So far, the areas with glossy surfaces on my car has been scratch free as I try to be gentle with the areas, and I've been using cleaners and solutions to help protect it further. I also have a travel-sized soft make up brush that I keep in my armrest to dust off tight areas without worrying about scratches. lol

· Premium Member
2021 K5 GT
139 Posts
When I test drove the GT, it was on the loudest fake engine noise, which I personally thought was overkill. I turned it down to the lowest setting (besides off) and it's been good for my ears there during my 10 months of ownership. It can be fully disabled if you prefer that. :)
I’ve tried on multiple occasions to test the fake engine noise and no matter what the setting (high, low or off) I can’t tell the difference at all. It doesn’t make an obvious difference in any setting. I’ve tried toggling from high to off while accelerating and unless I’m losing my hearing I just can’t tell. Not a big deal but I thought I’d get a laugh from hearing the artificial sound being pumped into the cabin. Some YouTube reviews made it seem like it was overly dramatic so maybe mine doesn’t work as intended.

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
154 Posts
I’ve tried on multiple occasions to test the fake engine noise and no matter what the setting (high, low or off) I can’t tell the difference at all. It doesn’t make an obvious difference in any setting. I’ve tried toggling from high to off while accelerating and unless I’m losing my hearing I just can’t tell. Not a big deal but I thought I’d get a laugh from hearing the artificial sound being pumped into the cabin. Some YouTube reviews made it seem like it was overly dramatic so maybe mine doesn’t work as intended.
I just finished driving my '23 GT on the Highway. My wife and I could not discern any difference in engine noise between "Normal" and "Sport" mode. Tried it from stops and while accelerating - radio on and off too. I wonder if Kia eliminated the sound enhancer on the 2023 GT models? I searched all through the settings (dash and 10" screen) and could not find any pages for volume control for this either.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I didn't toggle through the different driving modes during my test drive, so am unsure about sound variances with different modes. As far as the piano black, IIRC there was a guy on Optimaforums who installed carbon fiber overlays on the door switchgear panel/handles of his GT.

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
154 Posts
Sound doesn't change with different drive modes. Search for active sound in menu.
I did search all "settings" apps - couldn't find anything for "active sound", "engine sounds" or "enhancement volume".

In my '21 Forte GT I only hear it when in "Sport" mode. You can tell right away when switching between "Smart" mode and "Sport" mode just sitting at a light.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hey Guys,
I went and test drove the GT again. On the origianal test drive, was not able to go above 50MPH due to ridiculous test drive route. This time it was a used one with 5K on it. I noticed that the DCT was very jerky at low speeds/taking off from a stop. When I first put it in drive to take off, I thought I still had the parking brake on, as I had to push the accelerator more than usual to get the car to start moving. The new one I drove last week did not seem to have this issue. Is this just a characteristic of the DCT? or does it just have to learn your driving style first?

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
154 Posts
Hey Guys,
I went and test drove the GT again. On the origianal test drive, was not able to go above 50MPH due to ridiculous test drive route. This time it was a used one with 5K on it. I noticed that the DCT was very jerky at low speeds/taking off from a stop. When I first put it in drive to take off, I thought I still had the parking brake on, as I had to push the accelerator more than usual to get the car to start moving. The new one I drove last week did not seem to have this issue. Is this just a characteristic of the DCT? or does it just have to learn your driving style first?
Do you have the optional GT1 package?

In "Sport" or "Sport+" modes the tranny shifts harder and later (higher engine RPMs). It is definitely harsher then a "regular" automatic.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Both cars i test drove had the GT1 package. Is there a default mode when you first get into the car? I'm pretty sure when I got in the car yesterday it was in Normal mode. I did sample the other modes on the test drive, as the sales guy was pretty cool. This thing really moves!

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
154 Posts
Both cars i test drove had the GT1 package. Is there a default mode when you first get into the car? I'm pretty sure when I got in the car yesterday it was in Normal mode. I did sample the other modes on the test drive, as the sales guy was pretty cool. This thing really moves!
Mine goes back to normal when I restart the car:

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Document

Who has "SMART" mode in their K5?
My GT, non-GT1, does not have "SMART" mode.

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
154 Posts
Smart mode is only for awd versions. GT doesn't come in awd hence no smart mode.
Strange...my Forte GT and my daughter's GT-Line has smart mode. It's the best for all around driving and gas mileage. It also automatically switches to Sport mode when you're aggressive with the throttle and switches back to smart mode while cruising.

Would be nice for the K5 to have smart mode.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts