Kia K5 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

· Premium Member
2021 K5 GT
139 Posts
I’ve tried on multiple occasions to test the fake engine noise and no matter what the setting (high, low or off) I can’t tell the difference at all. It doesn’t make an obvious difference in any setting. I’ve tried toggling from high to off while accelerating and unless I’m losing my hearing I just can’t tell. Not a big deal but I thought I’d get a laugh from hearing the artificial sound being pumped into the cabin. Some YouTube reviews made it seem like it was overly dramatic so maybe mine doesn’t work as intended.
I did a test today in all three drive modes (Normal, Sport, and Sport+) to see if there was any noticeable difference in the different settings on the active sound design.
After testing each drive mode in high and off with heavy acceleration, I have concluded that the active sound design does absolutely nothing and makes no noticeable difference in any drive mode on any setting. I can't speak for anyone else but in my car, it does not change anything no matter what I tried.

· Premium Member
2021 K5 GT
139 Posts
Zero difference no matter the drive mode. If it's set to low, it'll be low no matter what drive mode you're in .
High or off made zero difference as well. I only tested the other drive modes as another member asked and I wasn't sure if it would. Do you notice any difference in your car from "off" to "high"?

· Premium Member
2021 K5 GT
139 Posts
Only GTs with the GT1 package have the enhanced sound.
Here is a picture from my car if you were unsure.
I have it, it just doesn't seem to do anything as far as I could tell.
1st K5 says it's a noticeable difference in his car so I'm not sure why it's so subtle in mine. It's not something I'm too worried about, I just wanted to see how dramatic it might be for a laugh. Ah well.
Vehicle Automotive design Gadget Font Flat panel display

· Registered
2022 K5 GT
23 Posts
Here is a picture from my car if you were unsure.
I have it, it just doesn't seem to do anything as far as I could tell.
1st K5 says it's a noticeable difference in his car so I'm not sure why it's so subtle in mine. It's not something I'm too worried about, I just wanted to see how dramatic it might be for a laugh. Ah well.
View attachment 4001
Same for my GT, I dont hear a difference between the 4 settings. Maybe at higher revs? I really have not pushed it much.

· Super Moderator
302 Posts
Smart mode is only for awd versions. GT doesn't come in awd hence no smart mode.
I'm assuming gtline is awd.
Not sure. GT doesn't have smart or snow modes.
In the states, we have/had 5 trims and 2 trims have AWD option. From base to top trim is LX, LXS (FWD/AWD), GTLine (FWD/AWD), EX, and GT. LX has been discontinued in '23
Smart and Sport is standard on all the trims except for GT. Not sure on the LX if it has Sport.
Snow Mode is AWD specific.

For my GTLine, Im happy I dont have that Faux engine sound coming from my speakers. I put it in Sport and I can hear the engine and exhaust tone a little more compared to the other modes. The Smart and Normal Modes stay at start up pending which one was set prior to turning off the car. Custom, Snow, Sport Modes will switch to Normal at start up.

· Premium Member
2021 K5 GT
139 Posts
Same for my GT, I dont hear a difference between the 4 settings. Maybe at higher revs? I really have not pushed it much.
Maybe that's what's going on for me too. I watched the video that GlacialWhiteGT mentioned and it was clear there was lots of engine noise. However, that was at the track going full throttle in an actual race. I'm sure the RPMs were much higher than what I've pushed in my daily driving or even in my more recent test. I don't baby the car but I certainly don't go wide open throttle. It might be working just fine, it's just that I've not pushed it hard enough to really tell.

· Registered
30 Posts
Hey Guys,
I'm usually over on the Optima forum, as I am a current owner of a 2016 Optima SX. I recognize a couple you (TXMike, 1stK5). Have been starting my initial car search, and have circled back to the K5GT, as it ticks most of the boxes. Just have a few questions if you don't mind.
1. Is anyone having oil consumption issues? At 105K, My Optima is using a quart every 600 miles. I'm basically waiting for the P1326 code as I keep it maintained/topped off.
2. Does the car handle well? I know this is subjective. My Optima is lowered on Truhart/Eibachs.
3. Buying experience. Did you guys have to contact multiple dealers to buy at sticker?

Thanks in advance to any replies!
I live on Texas.
No oil consumption , 21k miles
I don't race it, I do press the petal sometimes.
I bought it in Tyler, 3 hrs from my home.
They had 1, I bought it and drove home.
Do I pay to much, probably, I wanted this car.
1 time the car went into limp mode, took it home and let it rest, started up and all ok!
Then a recall about the transmission came out.
Life with a new car!

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Thanks for the reply. Just got quoted over 46K OTD for a GT w/GT1 package. 5K protection package. LOL. They wouldn't discuss anything via email, but want me to come in so they can try to work me over. Might consider a lightly one at this point.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts