Kia K5 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,174 Posts
So I was just able to get 39 mpg on the highway going 70 mph for 20 miles. I filled up and gauge said I have 416 miles to empty.
Accumulated avg.mpg of 28.9
Question for anyone - How much does having the AC on all the time play into this ? I live in Florida, so its always on. Think its a factor or are those days gone ?
I average about 25-26 MPG in between fill-ups and usually when I top it off the gauge will be around 420-430 miles to the tank. I also live in Florida mind you and have the A/C set to Auto 72-74 F year round.

Another thing I should add is that I usually fill up with 89 rated fuel.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX - Everlasting Silver
23 Posts
I have a '21 K5 EX. 87 octane regular.
Car Vehicle Speedometer Trip computer Motor vehicle

I regularly average 40 on the highway, 30+ in the city. When I don't drive like a maniac on the highway, I can get upwards of 50. Who needs a hybrid? ;)

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,174 Posts
Seems like evryone has their own take on which Average MPG to actually look at. lol

I personally like looking at the Average MPG right before I fuel up. That gives me a more real-time usage number as I always like to know roughly how many miles I can take my car on a single tank of gas when going by how efficient I can drive before the next fill up.

If it's per trip, it's not all that useful for me as each trip could vary greatly.

If it's overall life time, that would also include the times you were guzzling through your gas tank, and also includes the MPG that the factory initially tested the vehicle at before arriving at the dealer (and perhaps including anyone that had test drove the vehicle before your purchase).

The standard drive info (like all other modern cars) usually resets itself after every fill up anyway so it makes it convenient to keep track of it. I just wished it also kept a log of what the last Average MPG was before the fill up and what the mileage was. lol

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX - Everlasting Silver
23 Posts
Seems like evryone has their own take on which Average MPG to actually look at. lol

I personally like looking at the Average MPG right before I fuel up. That gives me a more real-time usage number as I always like to know roughly how many miles I can take my car on a single tank of gas when going by how efficient I can drive before the next fill up.

If it's per trip, it's not all that useful for me as each trip could vary greatly.

If it's overall life time, that would also include the times you were guzzling through your gas tank, and also includes the MPG that the factory initially tested the vehicle at before arriving at the dealer (and perhaps including anyone that had test drove the vehicle before your purchase).

The standard drive info (like all other modern cars) usually resets itself after every fill up anyway so it makes it convenient to keep track of it. I just wished it also kept a log of what the last Average MPG was before the fill up and what the mileage was. lol
(y)
When I want to be diligent about measuring and tracking MPG, I calculate it based on miles driven since last fill-up divided by how many gallons at the time of current fill-up).

Overall average MPG isn't very helpful when trip planning.

When I'm driving to California from Arizona, it's all open highway. Knowing what my average MPG for highway driving is, is more useful to me than an average that includes city driving.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Averaging 41.57 city 14% highway 86% mountainous so far at 1500 + miles GT AWD Fill-up range per car is 534
Is that MPG?
Are you saying that 14% or your miles are in the city and 86% are on mountainous highway?
Averaging! 41MPG? That means that your seeing real world sustained (has to be sustained for the math to work, can't be short spikes cause that would not allow for your "average" to calculate) MPG in the range of 26.5 to 56.5MPG -- which would give an "average" of 41.5MPG.
Your also claiming a fill up range of somewhere around 100mi more than I'd say pretty much everyone else will claim.

Yeah... no.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Best I've ever seen was from Boulder Co. to around North Platte, Ne. had an excellent tailwind. Cruise at 73mph was showing 41mpg. Typically I see more like 23 city, 32 hwy.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
238 Posts
So I was just able to get 39 mpg on the highway going 70 mph for 20 miles. I filled up and gauge said I have 416 miles to empty.
Accumulated avg.mpg of 28.9
Question for anyone - How much does having the AC on all the time play into this ? I live in Florida, so its always on. Think its a factor or are those days gone ?
I can't say, as my gas mileage gets better in the summer. Summer blend gas and warmer temps more than make up for using AC in the northeast.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT-Line FWD
32 Posts
22 GT line. FWD.
41 PSI tires. Without the AC running, we can consistently get 38+ in mostly city and country driving. I’ve had this above 41 on occasion. Single passenger.

Generally north of 30-35 in any situation. Super light footed and short shifting, I can’t get 45, so whomever is claiming that on an AWD GT, I’d have to see that to believe it

AC hits it hard. Drops it to 30 or below.

always using”brand name 87”.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT-Line FWD
32 Posts
If Gas was still 2.20 a gallon this topic would have nobody really caring. Thank you Joe Biden.
Had some foresight that gas prices were going to pop that sold me on the K5 GT Line over the Turbo Accord 2.0 missile last year. ~40MPG and not completely anemic when you don't want it to be - it's a fair compromise for run-the-kids-everywhere wheels.

·
Registered
125 Posts
22 GT line. FWD.
41 PSI tires. Without the AC running, we can consistently get 38+ in mostly city and country driving. I’ve had this above 41 on occasion. Single passenger.

Generally north of 30-35 in any situation. Super light footed and short shifting, I can’t get 45, so whomever is claiming that on an AWD GT, I’d have to see that to believe it

AC hits it hard. Drops it to 30 or below.

always using”brand name 87”.
If you're running your tires at 41psi cold, surely you know that when they get up to operating temperature they're probably at 43-45psi, and sustained freeway or highway running could get them up to 45psi or more.

Check it on your driver's side door jamb sticker, but I imagine the recommended cold pressure is more like 35psi. Running at 43-45psi will affect tire wear and maybe even contribute to a blowout.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
If Gas was still 2.20 a gallon this topic would have nobody really caring. Thank you Joe Biden.
I started this topic, actually, so I could get "realistic" numbers instead of the "fluff" numbers on paper. To your point, though, I am calculating the difference versus my current DD.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts