Kia K5 Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well Ghost if you are looking at the GT with the 2.5l, If you drive like my grandfather you could probably get 24-26 combined, 3211111= on highway and 22-23 city only. If you drive like me highway only I get in the 28-30 range (based on 2 driving trips to houston from dallas - ave speed in the 80 to 85 range with a couple of short stints to 100). My combined is around 20-21. City only I have not attempted to figure out as, I do not do much city only. I run 89 octane.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well Ghost if you are looking at the GT with the 2.5l, If you drive like my grandfather you could probably get 24-26 combined, 3211111= on highway and 22-23 city only. If you drive like me highway only I get in the 28-30 range (based on 2 driving trips to houston from dallas - ave speed in the 80 to 85 range with a couple of short stints to 100). My combined is around 20-21. City only I have not attempted to figure out as, I do not do much city only. I run 89 octane.
Thanks for the data!

I'm looking at the GT-Line for the highway economy, but haven't decided on FWD or AWD. I took a job a little over a year ago that doubled my gas consumption...and then gas doubled in price. Double whammy. Plus my son's getting to driving age and he'd like my DD. So, I'm due for a new car, and now have to take more into consideration MPG when I didn't care so much with the DD initially.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an LX (fwd) with tire pressure of 35 all around. I average 38mpg using the trip gauge; 15% highway and the rest moderate to light city driving (limited traffic, Florida roads are essentially flat/slight elevation changes if any).

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I was just able to get 39 mpg on the highway going 70 mph for 20 miles. I filled up and gauge said I have 416 miles to empty.
Accumulated avg.mpg of 28.9
Question for anyone - How much does having the AC on all the time play into this ? I live in Florida, so its always on. Think its a factor or are those days gone ?
I live in Florida as well, yes the a/c is a factor but local driving on my 21EX I get between 24 & 27 but driving the turnpike with cruise control at 70 mph I’ve gotten 42.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
For those that are curious, here's what I've done. I have a data table of the miles on my daily, and Excel calculates how many months those miles were driven. The same data table has my current average MPG, and I've taken the data from this thread for the K5 MPG. Plug in current gas price, and viola, it figures how the cost difference over a 5 year period.

DDK5
Miles Driven
15208.30​
15208.30​
11​
Months
Avg MPG
20.41​
34.19​
Current Gal.$ 3.41$ 3.41
Fuel Costs$ 2,541.51$ 1,516.88$ (1,024.63)Diff
$ (5,588.89)5 years

And yes, I do have the data for the average price per gallon over the same time period, which is currently tracking $3.33.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT-Line FWD
32 Posts
If you're running your tires at 41psi cold, surely you know that when they get up to operating temperature they're probably at 43-45psi, and sustained freeway or highway running could get them up to 45psi or more.

Check it on your driver's side door jamb sticker, but I imagine the recommended cold pressure is more like 35psi. Running at 43-45psi will affect tire wear and maybe even contribute to a blowout.

Just sayin'.
Cold falls to about 38. It's what we got it from off the truck - it's what I've kept it at.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,174 Posts
Cold falls to about 38. It's what we got it from off the truck - it's what I've kept it at.
I can't say that I got my car right off the truck but when I purchased the car off the lot, it had just 14 miles on it. I went through all the menus and things on the first day and one thing I noticed was that the tire pressure were all uneven. 34 on one, 35 on another, 36 on the third, and 38 on the fourth. I had to go readjust the tire pressure on all 4 tires.

I kept it at 36 per recommended by factory shown on the driver side door jamb ever since.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts