Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021,KIA,K5,GT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I’ve been cleaning them without any wheel cleaner because I’m paranoid that it might mess them up.. Never owned a glossy black wheel and it would be nice to find something that’s safe to use.. Any recommendations on a good wheel cleaner that won’t mess them up? Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi everyone! I’ve been cleaning them without any wheel cleaner because I’m paranoid that it might mess them up.. Never owned a glossy black wheel and it would be nice to find something that’s safe to use.. Any recommendations on a good wheel cleaner that won’t mess them up? Thanks
Honestly I don't think anything will mess it up. The glossy black is baked onto it. If you use your standard name brand wheel cleaner, I think you'll be alright.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah I didn't think about simple green.. I'll give that a shot
I rinse the wheel. Spray it and the tire with green. I have a dedicated nylon brush for tires and a small microfiber, chenille sponge just for wheels. Scrub and rub, then rinse.

If I remember correctly that sponge actually came from the grocery store as a dishwashing sponge...

I took this off the handle and use it to was wheels. I works really well...

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
I guess Simple Green (or the automotive one) would be fine. Just don't get something heavy like a degreaser solution. There's supposedly a layer of clear coat on the stock wheels so using an industrial-grade cleaner can end up taking it off. They also recommend against using a polish compound or a hard, metal brush.

But like Cojax said, any wheel cleaner should be just fine.

·
Registered
2021,KIA,K5,GT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess Simple Green (or the automotive one) would be fine. Just don't get something heavy like a degreaser solution. There's supposedly a layer of clear coat on the stock wheels so using an industrial-grade cleaner can end up taking it off. They also recommend against using a polish compound or a hard, metal brush.

View attachment 1074

But like Cojax said, any wheel cleaner should be just fine.
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to get some wheel cleaner today.. I have some simple green at home but I do think it's really strong!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most name brand wheel cleaners should all be good because wheel paint is the same black gloss as body paint. The negative I would stay away from is the actual tool that comes into contact with the wheels; I would stay away from hard bristles as they will micro scratch and swirl the paint. I use a good wheel cleaner and a few wet micro fiber towels or a micro fiber sponge to clean the wheels.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
Plane ole car wash soap and a terry or microfiber cloth gets my wheels nice and clean
I do the same. I have a sudsy car soap that I use for the wheels to get the dust and dirt off. Then I go over it once again with the left over ceramic soap from the body wash for the extra protection. A bit overkill but I tend to have a bit of the ceramic soap left over at the end so don't let it go to waste. lol

I recently purchased the Meguiar's wheel cleaner. I'm curious how well it cleans off the dust, dirt, and grime from the wheels and brakes on the more hard to reach places.

·
Registered
2021,KIA,K5,GT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do the same. I have a sudsy car soap that I use for the wheels to get the dust and dirt off. Then I go over it once again with the left over ceramic soap from the body wash for the extra protection. A bit overkill but I tend to have a bit of the ceramic soap left over at the end so don't let it go to waste. lol

I recently purchased the Meguiar's wheel cleaner. I'm curious how well it cleans off the dust, dirt, and grime from the wheels and brakes on the more hard to reach places.
Yeah I haven’t used wheel cleaner either! I’ll dry them off as soon as I can after a wash and I’ve been happy with that! I did buy the Meguiars all wheel cleaner also but I noticed it’s saying let the wheels cool off first and I’m usually going to car washes so my wheels are pretty warm when I get their

1 - 17 of 17 Posts