Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD Premium
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shift knob from Korea that was made for the K5, however I am just wondering if others have swapped out their shift knob?

It seems very difficult to pull out the leather boot from the console so just worried I might break something if I try it....

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Managed to get it done! I was able to use a flathead screwdriver between the leather boot and console to unsnap the first clip, the rest came off very easy! New leather shifter installed and feels great :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately away for the weekend, but I will grab a pic of it when I get back around Monday! I do recommend it though, especially if you have a leather steering wheel, as now the material on the wheel and the shifter match in feel and looks. And was only ~ $35 at the time!

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Just curious, which shifter did you get? I've been keeping an eye on a few of them but I didn't know which one would fit. lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got this one here, the only thing about this one is the area I circled in blue where the leather meets the shift knob - it is a slightly different size (the leather wrap is slightly larger than the shift knob at that point). But it doesn’t bother me at all. I’ll grab a photo for the forum and paste it below in a few days so you can decide.
This shift knob feels great in the palm, and as I stated above is the same material as the leather steering wheel which was important for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
I noticed that an exact fit would be the K7/Cadenza's leather shift knob, but the design is pretty much the same. lol
Camera lens Lens Cameras & optics Camera accessory Optical instrument

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
I think I might give the Elantra GT or the Veloster N shift knobs a try. It seems like the Stinger community has had some success with swapping their "T" handles with it too. lol

I'll post some pics of the whole thing and let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This was my morning project. I did the veloster N swap. I added a piece of vinyl wrap on the N-line logo. Worst part was removing the boot from the center console. I had to super glue the white plastic trim that is inside the original boot due to it breaking in the process. The rest is exactly like explain on the stinger forum.

i think it compliment nicely the black with red stiching interior of my 2021 gt.

here are some pic
Car Gear shift Satellite radio Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks super nice as well! Yeah taking the boot off takes a lot of effort so definitely best to not do this too frequently! That shifter really matches the red stitching nicely.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
This was my morning project. I did the veloster N swap. I added a piece of vinyl wrap on the N-line logo. Worst part was removing the boot from the center console. I had to super glue the white plastic trim that is inside the original boot due to it breaking in the process. The rest is exactly like explain on the stinger forum.

i think it compliment nicely the black with red stiching interior of my 2021 gt.

here are some pic
View attachment 1550
View attachment 1551
View attachment 1552
View attachment 1553
Damn, you beat me to it! :ROFLMAO: I just ordered mine not too long ago.

The key is getting the shifter knob with the boot to get the shifter collar for it so the knob to boot transition is seamless.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
So I finally got around to replacing the shifter knob. The shift boot was certainly a bitch and a half to pry off. lol

I took loads of pictures so that every one can see what's going on underneath the whole thing. There's not much reference pics of the 2021+ K5 (DL3) shift knob and boot out there so I figured I'd chip in.

Had to shimmy a screw driver (tip wrapped with tape to prevent scratching) in between the boot frame and the glossy shell where I felt a clip was located at. Once I got it in clip hole, I pressed down some more to get a good leverage on the boot then pried it until I heard it pop out. I started with the upper right clip. It felt like I might break the frame but it's actually a pretty flexible nylon-reinforced plastic. Still, just give it enough force until it pops, though, and try not to give it way too much force just in case. lol When you get the first clip to pop, the rest pretty much comes out with your standard plastic prying tool,starting with the right clips first, then bottom and top. Pull it out by hand once you feel you've gotten enough purchase. There are 7 clips in all.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Carbon Personal luxury car Automotive exterior White Gas Sports equipment Chair Personal protective equipment Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electrical supply Gas Wire

The shift knob/handle is in there pretty good so have to really give it a good pull straight up. Don't bother twisting it loose as it's locked into one orientation. I ended up pulling it out with both hands and hitting my head on the rear view mirror... 😅
Hood Automotive lighting Gear shift Motor vehicle Textile

To take apart the shift knob from the collar, there are 2 clips on either side of the shaft. Get a narrow flat head screw driver in there and depress it as you slowly pull the handle from the boot. Once you get one side unclipped, you do the same to the other side until you see it come apart. Pull out the screwdriver and it should slide apart the rest of the way.
Auto part Electronics accessory Fashion accessory Electric blue Metal

Reversing the boot, you can see the shift boot and collar are just held together with glue, no staples involved. It was just the matter of pulling them apart by applying pressure on the boot away from the collar wall. I did the same for the Veloster N shift boot as well.
Fashion accessory Auto part Metal Event Cleanliness

After cleaning up the gooey mess from the collar as best I could (used Goo Gone for the glue, then washed it with dish soap), I reversed the boot again so the leather is facing outward and, since the new collar is actually bigger, I pushed it up the boot until the end of the boot wrapped around and over the collar enough so it looked flush with the bottom of the collar. The leather stretched nicely around the collar and there was enough pressure so I didn't need to put on any double sided tape or glue. When I was satisfied with it and got the stitching centered, I popped the knob on until it snapped into place.
Font Human leg Fashion accessory Carmine Fashion design

The rest is just putting it back in and securing the shift boot clips into place.
Fixture Automotive design Camera accessory Carbon Auto part Gear shift Automotive design Steering part Vehicle Car
Just a note, there are stop notches on the shaft so the shift knob will automatically stop at a certain point when you hammer it down with your hand.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Guitar accessory Vehicle door Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Oh btw, here are pics of what the stock shift knob and shift boot looks like when it's all apart. I couldn't upload more than 10 pics in 1 post... lol
Rectangle Gas Electrical supply Auto part Electric blue Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Audio equipment Automotive lighting Camera accessory Audio equipment Auto part Composite material Gadget Camera accessory Audio equipment Composite material Auto part Gadget Rectangle Auto part Font Fashion accessory Gadget

There aren't many reference pics of it out there, and the one I found before from an ebay listing is gone due to it probably being the last one to be purchased.

What look like clips on the bottom silver trim are probably just guides to minimize knob wobble, not actual clips.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh btw, here are pics of what the stock shift knob and shift boot looks like when it's all apart. I couldn't upload more than 10 pics in 1 post... lol
View attachment 1731 View attachment 1732 View attachment 1733 View attachment 1734 View attachment 1735

There aren't many reference pics of it out there, and the one I found before from an ebay listing is gone due to it probably being the last one to be purchased.

What look like clips on the bottom silver trim are probably just guides to minimize knob wobble, not actual clips.
Great info and pics for people who want to do this in the future! Yeah those clips holding the boot to the trim are super tight. Looks great!

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I finally got around to replacing the shifter knob. The shift boot was certainly a bitch and a half to pry off. lol

I took loads of pictures so that every one can see what's going on underneath the whole thing. There's no much reference pics of the 2021+K5 shift knob and boot out there so I figured I'd chip in.

Had to shimmy a screw driver (tip wrapped with tape to prevent scratching) in between the boot frame and the glossy shell where I felt a clip was located at. Once I got it in clip hole, I pressed down some more to get a good leverage on the boot then pried it until I heard it pop out. I started with the upper right clip. It felt like I might break the frame but it's actually a pretty flexible nylon-reinforced plastic. Still, just give it enough force until it pops, though, and try not to give it way too much force just in case. lol When you get the first clip to pop, the rest pretty much comes out with your standard plastic prying tool,starting with the right clips first, then bottom and top. Pull it out by hand once you feel you've gotten enough purchase. There are 7 clips in all.
View attachment 1710 View attachment 1711 View attachment 1715

The shift knod/handle is in there pretty good so have to really give it a good pull straight up. Don't bother twisting it loose as it's locked into one orientation. I ended up pulling it out with both hands and hitting my head on the rear view mirror...
View attachment 1728

To take apart the shift knob from the collar, there are 2 clips on either side of the shaft. Get a narrow flat head screw driver in there and depress it as you slowly pull the handle from the boot. Once you get one side unclipped, you do the same to the other side until you see it come apart. Pull out the screwdriver and it should slide apart the rest of the way.
View attachment 1722

Reversing the boot, you can see the shift boot and collar are just held together with glue, no staples involved. It was just the matter of pulling them apart by applying pressure on the boot away from the collar wall. I did the same for the Veloster N shift boot as well.
View attachment 1724

After cleaning up the gooey mess from the collar as best I could (used Goo Gone for the glue, then washed it with dish soap), I reversed the boot again so the leather is facing outward and, since the new collar is actually bigger, I pushed it up the boot until the end of the boot wrapped around and over the collar enough so it looked flush with the bottom of the collar. The leather stretched nicely around the collar and there was enough pressure so I didn't need to put on any double sided tape or glue. When I was satisfied with it and got the stitching centered, I popped the knob on until it snapped into place.
View attachment 1725

The rest is just putting it back in and securing the shift boot clips into place.
View attachment 1729 View attachment 1727
Just a note, there are stop notches on the shaft so the shift knob will automatically stop at a certain point when you hammer it down with your hand.
View attachment 1736
That’s great information, thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Great info and pics for people who want to do this in the future! Yeah those clips holding the boot to the trim are super tight. Looks great!
Thanks! There are videos of people swapping knobs out for older Optimas but having some references of the differences help immensely for those that are on the fence about doing this stuff themselves.

Also, I might end up re-painting the red line to blue to match my car. lol I don't have any red trims on my GT-Line and I have some leftover touch up paint laying around so... I just need to figure out what to do with the N logo. 🤔 lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Where’d you see the other videos? Seeing other shift knobs installed would be great. I don’t know if my Google-fu is getting worse with time or if content is just slim pickings.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Where’d you see the other videos? Seeing other shift knobs installed would be great. I don’t know if my Google-fu is getting worse with time or if content is just slim pickings.
Oh sorry, when I meant other videos, I meant just old videos of shift knob swaps with previous gen Optimas. lol The idea and procedures are the same, it's just the parts being different make it a little challenging, especially considering our cars are still fairly new.

Here's a video of the person swapping out to a shorter shift knob with functioning gear selector lights on an older Optima (2011, I think?).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts