Kia K5 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh sorry, when I meant other videos, I meant just old videos of shift knob swaps with previous gen Optimas. lol The idea and procedures are the same, it's just the parts being different make it a little challenging, especially considering our cars are still fairly new.

Here's a video of the person swapping out to a shorter shift knob with functioning gear selector lights on an older Optima (2011, I think?).
Ah, gotcha!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Damn, you beat me to it! :ROFLMAO: I just ordered mine not too long ago.

The key is getting the shifter knob with the boot to get the shifter collar for it so the knob to boot transition is seamless.
Do yall know where i can find carbon fiber trim for the inside of the door right above the silver trim that goes the entire length of the door? Also where can i find the piano black trim for the inside part of the door arm rest?

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
846 Posts
I believe all of that is usually one whole piece, which is the whole door panel itself. I know the GT-Line door panel has the carbon fiber upper trim, but the arm rest loses the piano gloss black (which is fine by me in such a high-traffic area).

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I finally got around to replacing the shifter knob. The shift boot was certainly a bitch and a half to pry off. lol

I took loads of pictures so that every one can see what's going on underneath the whole thing. There's not much reference pics of the 2021+ K5 (DL3) shift knob and boot out there so I figured I'd chip in.

Had to shimmy a screw driver (tip wrapped with tape to prevent scratching) in between the boot frame and the glossy shell where I felt a clip was located at. Once I got it in clip hole, I pressed down some more to get a good leverage on the boot then pried it until I heard it pop out. I started with the upper right clip. It felt like I might break the frame but it's actually a pretty flexible nylon-reinforced plastic. Still, just give it enough force until it pops, though, and try not to give it way too much force just in case. lol When you get the first clip to pop, the rest pretty much comes out with your standard plastic prying tool,starting with the right clips first, then bottom and top. Pull it out by hand once you feel you've gotten enough purchase. There are 7 clips in all.
View attachment 1710 View attachment 1711 View attachment 1715

The shift knob/handle is in there pretty good so have to really give it a good pull straight up. Don't bother twisting it loose as it's locked into one orientation. I ended up pulling it out with both hands and hitting my head on the rear view mirror... 😅
View attachment 1728

To take apart the shift knob from the collar, there are 2 clips on either side of the shaft. Get a narrow flat head screw driver in there and depress it as you slowly pull the handle from the boot. Once you get one side unclipped, you do the same to the other side until you see it come apart. Pull out the screwdriver and it should slide apart the rest of the way.
View attachment 1722

Reversing the boot, you can see the shift boot and collar are just held together with glue, no staples involved. It was just the matter of pulling them apart by applying pressure on the boot away from the collar wall. I did the same for the Veloster N shift boot as well.
View attachment 1724

After cleaning up the gooey mess from the collar as best I could (used Goo Gone for the glue, then washed it with dish soap), I reversed the boot again so the leather is facing outward and, since the new collar is actually bigger, I pushed it up the boot until the end of the boot wrapped around and over the collar enough so it looked flush with the bottom of the collar. The leather stretched nicely around the collar and there was enough pressure so I didn't need to put on any double sided tape or glue. When I was satisfied with it and got the stitching centered, I popped the knob on until it snapped into place.
View attachment 1725

The rest is just putting it back in and securing the shift boot clips into place.
View attachment 1729 View attachment 1727
Just a note, there are stop notches on the shaft so the shift knob will automatically stop at a certain point when you hammer it down with your hand.
View attachment 1736
where'd you order the shift knob and boot from?

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
846 Posts
where'd you order the shift knob and boot from?
I bought mine from eBay, off of a seller based in Korea. I found one that is actually cheaper than when I bought mine, with free shipping.

Here's the one for the Veloster N. You will have to pay for shipping with this one, though, so the total comes out to around $70 in total, which is much more than the Elantra GT shift knob above.

Just a note, you can't reuse the boot from the Elantra or Veloster for the K5, but you should get the boot with the shift knob anyway just for the boot collar alone. Otherwise, the transition from the shift knob to the boot won't be a good fit. It'll be a snug fit into the stock K5 boot so you won't have to worry about needing to re-glue the boot to the collar.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts