Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody update to this? I have the 2021 EX trim with the premium package. This new update is SW version DL3.USA.SSW_M.V005.001.201029.

I’ve noticed some minor GUI changes - mainly it shows what’s playing on the splash screen on button left corner (underneath weather) and some updates to the map.

Still waiting on wireless Apple CarPlay for the 10” screen though!

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT - GT1 (Black)
99 Posts
I agree with the wireless auto updates, I'm on android Auto but apparently there is a licensing fee that they didn't want to pay for the larger device in the car. Or so the rumor goes.

Question coming back. Where the heck is the setting to make it NOT play the built in sounds on media start? I mean I don't want to hear the rain forest I would rather hear my music, book or just straight up the engine noise between nav directions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with the wireless auto updates, I'm on android Auto but apparently there is a licensing fee that they didn't want to pay for the larger device in the car. Or so the rumor goes.

Question coming back. Where the heck is the setting to make it NOT play the built in sounds on media start? I mean I don't want to hear the rain forest I would rather hear my music, book or just straight up the engine noise between nav directions.
I somewhat turned off sounds of nature by going to settings>button>mode button>‘uncheck’ sounds of nature. When you hit the mode button on the steering wheel after that, it shouldn’t select it now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So, we got an update out, it's not OTA, and I need to go to the dealer who will probably charge me too much for something I should be able to do myself. I'll pass.

When someone has the file I can install myself, let me know.

My a** is still chapped after my first oil change costing me $155 to do and oil change/rotate/vacuum. I was told it was the "Customer First" package. I think they were trying to justify warranty time to check out the issues I had.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, we got an update out, it's not OTA, and I need to go to the dealer who will probably charge me too much for something I should be able to do myself. I'll pass.

My a** is still chapped after my first oil change costing me $155 to do and oil change/rotate/vacuum. I was told it was the "Customer First" package. I think they were trying to justify warranty time to check out the issues I had.
I did this myself. I downloaded the file from Kia’s website (you download software first And then the actual file) onto a USB on my computer. Then plugged in the USB-specific port in the K5. Takes about hour to download from the website and maybe 20min to update in car itself. Make sure you use a USB with at least 32GB of storage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did this myself. I downloaded the file from Kia’s website (you download software first And then the actual file) onto a USB on my computer. Then plugged in the USB-specific port in the K5. Takes about hour to download from the website and maybe 20min to update in car itself. Make sure you use a USB with at least 32GB of storage.

Here's the link to go and do it yourself. I'm waiting on getting a large enough USB stick to do it myself. I'm a friend with my dealer's General Manager, but I'd still prefer to not spend more time than I need in their service department.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Here's the link to go and do it yourself. I'm waiting on getting a large enough USB stick to do it myself. I'm a friend with my dealer's General Manager, but I'd still prefer to not spend more time than I need in their service department.
Well, thank you both. I was unaware this was an option as the owner's manual states to see the dealer.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I got an email that my "3 month" inspection was due, called the dealer and talked to the Service Manager that also has a K5 GT-Line. Aside from an oil change it's just a 'multipoint inspection'. Screw that, I have 2400 miles with zero issues. My regular mechanic even said there's no point in getting an oil change ahead of schedule. $155 they better wash and wax by hand too ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got an email that my "3 month" inspection was due, called the dealer and talked to the Service Manager that also has a K5 GT-Line. Aside from an oil change it's just a 'multipoint inspection'. Screw that, I have 2400 miles with zero issues. My regular mechanic even said there's no point in getting an oil change ahead of schedule. $155 they better wash and wax by hand too ;)
I had the car Ceramic Coated, so no need to wash it, but yeah, probably mad because I drove to save $2k on the car when I bought it.

My wife has a 19 Niro, so not knowing I could update hers as well, she's now super excited that I can gets hers up to par as well.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
738 Posts
The dealer I bought my car from is thankfully not too far. It's literally a 5 minute drive from my work. lol I haven't had to service my car yet but since there's already a complimentary service maintenance that comes with the car for a few years, I might as well take advantage of it.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
187 Posts
I had the car Ceramic Coated, so no need to wash it, but yeah, probably mad because I drove to save $2k on the car when I bought it.

My wife has a 19 Niro, so not knowing I could update hers as well, she's now super excited that I can gets hers up to par as well.
I actually had to look up what a ceramic coating actually is. I had never heard of it before, but people here have been saying they had it done to their cars.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
738 Posts
It's pretty much an additional hydrophobic layer of protection on top of a wax. It keeps your car super sleek and helps prevent stuff like dirt and other contaminants like bug and droppings from getting into your paint. It also adds UV protection to give your paint that extra pop and longevity. Just know that it's not a replacement for a tough paint protection layer against rock chips like clear bras and films.

That said, it's good to keep it maintained using ceramic formulated soaps and products to help prolong the hydrophobic properties. They may be pricier than normal car soap but well worth it for the continued ease of wash.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So, the update. What. A. Clusterf**k.

I didn't know it was going to take the better part of 2 hours to complete. Apparently mine was a few updates behind, and it had to update to previous versions before it hit the current version.

I have 2 gripes. This biggest one is the constantly moving progress bar on the home screen when listening to the Radio/Sirius. Why? Who made that terrible decision.

The other is minor. I liked the notched Volume Bar vs the solid bar style we have now after the update.

I do have a tip for you. The update will continue, without issue, if you turn the car off. After over an hour of watching the update go on and on and on (with the car running no less), I said enough because I was at a celebration dinner sitting in the parking lot of the restaurant instead of enjoying food and drink.

I am curious to see if someone starts homebrewing updates like they did on the Veloster headunit. There's a lot of potential here, and since Kia gives us they keys (literally) to do something, we could have something really cool. I can't program, so don't ask me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts