Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow K5 owners,
What are your current number on fuel economy? I thought I was supposed to be around the high 20’s, but I’m averaging 22-23 at best! I have the 1.6 liter.

hope y’all have a good weekend!

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line Wolf Grey
48 Posts
I’m at 30.9mpg with 13k miles on my GT-Line. Sometimes goes up to 31.1 at best. I do about 60% of my driving on the highway. I suppose if I babied the car more I could get 32-33 but that’s no fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What are your guys total range from full to empty?
also, what gas do you use?
I get around 350 miles and use 87. Most I’ve talked to seem to get more, maybe need a check up at the dealership. The computer always wants to say I get 400plus as an estimate but def not.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Whenever I get around 21 MPG, a full tank will read about 400 miles of range. Right now, I'm averaging about 25 MPG and the range has gone up by around 30 miles to 432 miles on a full tank. Mind you, the K5 has like a 15-gallon tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whenever I get around 21 MPG, a full tank will read about 400 miles of range. Right now, I'm averaging about 25 MPG and the range has gone up by around 30 miles to 432 miles on a full tank. Mind you, the K5 has like a 15-gallon tank.
Mine never goes up. It’s just always right at 400. I’m going to have to reset the trip and actually see how many miles I drove till empty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im at 448 miles right now and I usually get 19 - 20 (21 if I'm lucky).

I drive in "local areas" in the suburbs so its probably low when I only drive 30 - 50miles fast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting.. In south FL I typically get 370 total. Probably because of a lot of stop and go traffic on hot weather. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
74 Posts
My drive for work is 75% highway... where I see 38mpg for my 55 mile trip. Usually 10-15 minutes drive around town nets me 25-28mpg. Just using regular old 87

·
Registered
47 Posts
Was just looking at this over the weekend. 87 Fuel (because I haven't won the lotto yet to afford better), and averaging 31.7 MPG at 8500 miles on the ODO.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
170 Posts
I average around 32 MPG in just shy of 3000 miles, mostly highway driving to and from work. It'll go down once school starts up in a week or so. Are you using what the car tells you the mileage is, or calculating it at the pump? My car actually tells me my mileage is lower, like 31.1 MPG.

·
Registered
Wolf Grey K5 GT-Line, Magnetic Black 370z
49 Posts
I'm at 4200 miles with an average of 37 mpg. Using 87 octane of course

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fellow K5 owners,
What are your current number on fuel economy? I thought I was supposed to be around the high 20’s, but I’m averaging 22-23 at best! I have the 1.6 liter.

hope y’all have a good weekend!
If I keep it in smart mode, I average about 30-33 MPG. Any other mode is considerably less. I use 87 of course. A full tank gets me 400-425 miles total but I have seen estimates as low as 350.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I keep it in smart mode, I average about 30-33 MPG. Any other mode is considerably less. I use 87 of course. A full tank gets me 400-425 miles total but I have seen estimates as low as 350.
Whats the difference honestly? I feel like normal is vastly inferior to smart mode.

I used to average around 20 - 22mpg on my EX on smart mode (granted I'm only 425 miles and still breaking in). I heard about the accelerator delay and it bothers me.

Supposedly, switching from normal to sports/smart mode makes it eat more gas at the cost of alleviating the issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whats the difference honestly? I feel like normal is vastly inferior to smart mode.

I used to average around 20 - 22mpg on my EX on smart mode (granted I'm only 425 miles and still breaking in). I heard about the accelerator delay and it bothers me.

Supposedly, switching from normal to sports/smart mode makes it eat more gas at the cost of alleviating the issue.
I definitely notice better fuel economy in smart mode. I’m sure it tames the engine down somewhat until you need it. But it automatically turns off when it senses you mashing on the gas, and gives you the power you want. I agree that there is more lag in smart mode but not enough to make driving uncomfortable or not fun. If I want to get going from a red light or something and beat other cars, I switch it to normal or sport temporarily.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I average around 32 MPG in just shy of 3000 miles, mostly highway driving to and from work. It'll go down once school starts up in a week or so. Are you using what the car tells you the mileage is, or calculating it at the pump? My car actually tells me my mileage is lower, like 31.1 MPG.
My first tank from the dealer, they didn't reset the trip and fuel info, so it was 31 combined but my calculation got me 32 combined. However, fillips since then, it's almost exactly the same mpg as the car states

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
170 Posts

20 - 22 MPG, you must drive in a lot of stop and go traffic, and/or have a heavy right foot.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
20 - 22 MPG, you must drive in a lot of stop and go traffic, and/or have a heavy right foot.
That's what I usually average when using SMART mode, too. Could be that I sit at traffic lights longer than average during my commutes.

Then again, I seem to get less MPG in SMART mode than in Normal when commuting during the early mornings when there are next to no cars on the road and traffic lights don't stay red for long...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok let me ask, since everyone is talking about drive modes.. and maybe mine is different being AWD.. when I have mine set to smart, it usually runs in eco and sometimes drops into normal. Great for gas mileage, but, I noticed when I'm cruising the highway with adaptive cruise it says smart, but it's grey like it's in normal mode, buuuut the mode selection knob shows it in snow mode? Is this something Kia does for highway safety/vehicle stability? It does show "1 bar" of power to all 4 wheels when cruise is on.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts