Kia K5 Forum banner

Average MPG?

9K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  YetisEverywhere 
#1 ·
Fellow K5 owners,
What are your current number on fuel economy? I thought I was supposed to be around the high 20’s, but I’m averaging 22-23 at best! I have the 1.6 liter.

hope y’all have a good weekend!

#12 ·
I average around 32 MPG in just shy of 3000 miles, mostly highway driving to and from work. It'll go down once school starts up in a week or so. Are you using what the car tells you the mileage is, or calculating it at the pump? My car actually tells me my mileage is lower, like 31.1 MPG.

#15 ·
Whats the difference honestly? I feel like normal is vastly inferior to smart mode.

I used to average around 20 - 22mpg on my EX on smart mode (granted I'm only 425 miles and still breaking in). I heard about the accelerator delay and it bothers me.

Supposedly, switching from normal to sports/smart mode makes it eat more gas at the cost of alleviating the issue.

#20 ·
Ok let me ask, since everyone is talking about drive modes.. and maybe mine is different being AWD.. when I have mine set to smart, it usually runs in eco and sometimes drops into normal. Great for gas mileage, but, I noticed when I'm cruising the highway with adaptive cruise it says smart, but it's grey like it's in normal mode, buuuut the mode selection knob shows it in snow mode? Is this something Kia does for highway safety/vehicle stability? It does show "1 bar" of power to all 4 wheels when cruise is on.

#23 ·
I have a little under 3000 miles, I gas up with 87 octane, normal driving mode, and get 38-40 mpg on the highway here in AZ (where highway speed limits in most places is 75). I tried sport mode a few times and it was quite a noticeable difference in acceleration... more than I need so I keep it in normal.

If I were mpg conscious, I'm confident that I could modify my driving style slightly and get up to 45 mpg.

#28 ·
CIty: 25-26
Hwy: 35ish -- it really depends on the wind honestly. I also have a hitch mounted bike rack so at 73mph with two mountain bikes on the back I was pulling 27mpg over 300mi. No bikes I've seen up to 41mpg, this was from Boulder, Co. to the Nebraska border so not a fluke measurement.

#35 ·
I have a Canadian 2021 K5 GT. I use 87 octane, as I only have 1 gas station locally and that's all they've got (aside from diesel).

After 4900 KM or about 3000 miles, the vehicle tells me I have averaged between 6.9L/100KM and 7.0L/100KM or 33 and 34 MPG. These have been mostly in "Normal" mode, I know it's boring for those looking to have their heads thrown back upon acceleration, but it's perfect for casual commuting.

Tire pressure was between 32-34 psi for the first while when the temperatures were warmer, but now they are all at 35-36 psi and will be checked more regularly.

A full tank gives me between 730- 800 KM or 450-500 miles according to the cluster.

Winter tires and rims will be going on soon, so that will have its own effect as well as longer idling times due to winter warmups.
On my last vehicle, the winter tires were actually lighter than my summer set so my mileage was almost the same despite the car running for 15 minutes (sometimes twice a day) every day to just warm up.

#36 ·
I have a Canadian 2021 K5 GT. I use 87 octane, as I only have 1 gas station locally and that's all they've got (aside from diesel).

After 4900 KM or about 3000 miles, the vehicle tells me I have averaged between 6.9L/100KM and 7.0L/100KM or 33 and 34 MPG. These have been mostly in "Normal" mode, I know it's boring for those looking to have their heads thrown back upon acceleration, but it's perfect for casual commuting.

Tire pressure was between 32-34 psi for the first while when the temperatures were warmer, but now they are all at 35-36 psi and will be checked more regularly.

A full tank gives me between 730- 800 KM or 450-500 miles according to the cluster.

Winter tires and rims will be going on soon, so that will have its own effect as well as longer idling times due to winter warmups.
On my last vehicle, the winter tires were actually lighter than my summer set so my mileage was almost the same despite the car running for 15 minutes (sometimes twice a day) every day to just warm up.
Spot on, I'm getting around 480-500 on the tank indicator when I fill up. 8000 miles with 87 octane TTF and that's with AWD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.