Kia K5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just purchased a new K5 GT Line for the wife. My driveway has a slight uphill slope; when I shifted into reverse I got a bad Clunk sound and again when I shifted into drive.
Almost sounds like a broken Engine or tranny mount.

Anyone else have this issue?

I am scheduled to drop it off at the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
166 Posts
How steep is your driveway incline? Mine is usually steep enough that the car is motionless when in reverse with the front facing downhill. But I don't remember hearing any clunking noises when I parked it front facing uphill, and reversing out of my driveway or when shifting into drive afterwards.

Still, I would definitely take it to the dealer and let them know about the issue. Hopefully they can find out the cause and remedy it. 🤞

·
Registered
29 Posts
Only hear of this issue in modern transmissions if parking on a incline and not using the parking brake to secure the vehicle.

Just putting the vehicle in PARK is NOT the recommended solution to parking the vehicle, the Parking Brake must be used to avoid damage to the transmission.

Source: I'm the Parts Manager for an Aftermarket Parts Company, former Parts Manager for a Dealership, and former District Manager of Sears Auto Centers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After an all day affair at the dealership. I was told the something by the service managers. Thank you for the update

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT Line Wolf Gray w/Red Leather
28 Posts
Hello All,

Just purchased a new K5 GT Line for the wife. My driveway has a slight uphill slope; when I shifted into reverse I got a bad Clunk sound and again when I shifted into drive.
Almost sounds like a broken Engine or tranny mount.

Anyone else have this issue?

I am scheduled to drop it off at the dealer tomorrow.
Greetings,
Just thought I would add that you should never put your transmission into park without activating the emergency brake FIRST. This way the car is held in place by the brake system not the transmission.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would have been nice to have gotten some instructions from the Service Manager on the correct way to put the car in Park. All I got was this is normal.

JM

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
166 Posts
I mean, it's technically in the manual, but it's buried so deep in it (page 5 -- 17, or 278 in actual pages) that it's very easy to miss, and almost no one would take their time to read through it thoroughly. lol

Also, seems like the Emergency Parking Brake is automatically engaged if you have Auto Hold turned on and you turn the car off.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
56 Posts
I agree.. no one reads the entire manual. I still haven't even opened it up.

JM
I skimmed most of it. I got through most of the tech stuff, but I think there is still a little I haven't finished. It's on my desk at home for any time I need a nap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts