Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT - GT1 (Black)
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have heard there is no 'break-in' period 'required' but read in the manual that I should wait until 600 miles to 'prolong the life of the engine'

At the end of the 600 (soon) should I do a full oil change, has anyone else? Trying to decide whether or not I should do my first change REALLY early.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
581 Posts
I did an oil change at 2500 kms.
Never let the revs get too high.
Doing another one at 6k kms..
Then I'll let it rip lol.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
702 Posts
You don't have to do your oil change early, just not to push the car hard until it breaks in. I forgot where I saw it but I read it was more like 1000-1200 miles for the break in period for the car. I would give it around there before pushing harder.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't have to do your oil change early, just not to push the car hard until it breaks in. I forgot where I saw it but I read it was more like 1000-1200 miles for the break in period for the car. I would give it around there before pushing harder.
OH Kuno yer killin me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I was almost there, but now you're telling me I'm halfway to almost there lol. I'll wait, I am scheduled for Paint Protection Monday 6-7 anyway

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this is what the owners manual has to say about break in

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
702 Posts
If the manual says 600 miles (1, 000km) then it should be safe to go with that number. If you want to be on the safe side, you can wait until 1,000-1,200 miles before it's fully broken in with the towing and everything.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right I may still put it off till after I get the paint protection package early June, which will for sure put me between the 600-1000 miles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I broke in the car how I drive the car, and have had zero issues. Some days it's a family car, some days it's a race car. My daughter prefers sport mode, so we did dabble during the first 1000 miles, but I did not push the car like I do now (at 5000 miles).

No redline shifts, but don't baby the car either. Drive the car like you plan on driving it, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
581 Posts
And check your oil frequently during the break in period. It may or may not consume oil. The first 2500kms I had no consumption. Then I did an oil change and 2000kms later still no consumption. If you do see oil consumption, it's normal during the break in period.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GTLine AWD
37 Posts
I broke in the car how I drive the car, and have had zero issues. Some days it's a family car, some days it's a race car. My daughter prefers sport mode, so we did dabble during the first 1000 miles, but I did not push the car like I do now (at 5000 miles).

No redline shifts, but don't baby the car either. Drive the car like you plan on driving it, and you'll be fine.
Same..even in normal traffic..it's pretty impossible to stay under 4k RPM.. shift happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts