Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to plug in my older classic iPod into the USB port (not the charger!) and I do not get anything. Has anyone had issue with this. It's not a super big deal cus I have Spotify. I was just playing around.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I have a 80gb ipod classic, and I like to keep using it in my car. I tried to plug it in, and got nothing. It will charge my ipod, but won't connect my ipod to play music. Need help on this.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
181 Posts
Just get a thumbdrive and put your music on that. That's what I used to do before I started using Android Auto.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a bunch of music on my iPod that I don't have in my iTunes. So I can't move it. I tried before and got an error message with iTunes that I didn't own that song or something like that. PITA!!!

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
181 Posts
I have a bunch of music on my iPod that I don't have in my iTunes. So I can't move it. I tried before and got an error message with iTunes that I didn't own that song or something like that. PITA!!!
That sucks! All my music is MP3. I think I had a few albums that were Windows Media (WMA) which I had some trouble with. Fortunately, I had the CD's and just ripped them to MP3.

·
Registered
83 Posts
When looking at the K5s I brought my iPod touch with me and it wouldn’t connect via cable. I checked it on multiple cars with both the 8” and 10” screens. Charge only.

I asked a couple of salesmen and no one knew why it didn’t work. In fact, they weren’t sure if it worked with an iPod at all.

It is possible to copy music from an old iPod to a computer but it’s often not a fun procedure without software.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this same issue with an old iPod too. In looking thru the entertainment manual, seems to indicate the USB port does not support Apple music devices and only certain USB devices are assured to work. I'm using an iPod Touch with Bluetooth, but the connection is really spotty, sometimes connects promptly, but often never connects. Highly annoying and agreed PITA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That sucks! All my music is MP3. I think I had a few albums that were Windows Media (WMA) which I had some trouble with. Fortunately, I had the CD's and just ripped them to MP3.
What kind of mp3 player is used in looking for one but am not tech savy

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX - Everlasting Silver
14 Posts
What kind of mp3 player is used in looking for one but am not tech savy
Are you looking for a standalone mp3 player device like a Sandisk, or are you referring to mp3 player software for a smartphone?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are that's where I get lost I am looking for something to prevent me from having to hook my phone up through Android auto. Or having to get a new radio installed all together

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are that's where I get lost I am looking for something to prevent me from having to hook my phone up through Android auto. Or having to get a new radio installed all together
Ah, got it. I recommend getting a USB thumdrive. (Sandisk Nano, Ultra Fit, or Cruzer Fit) These are super small and great to keep inserted into the USB port without fear of damage or taking up space in that pocket area.

With a USB thumbdrive, you can then copy over your MP3 files and the radio will automatically categorize files into artist, album, etc. (provided that track information is correctly embedded in the files... but don't worry about that for now)

The beauty of this approach is that it you can listen to your music/podcasts, etc. without the need to have a phone connected. You can also control playback through the controls on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
and my Thumb drive worked with mp3 music for 2 months and now the "USB Music" icon is grayed out when inserting the TD in the middle USB port when I disconnect the iPhone for Car Play.

Any solution?

·
Registered
14 Posts
and my Thumb drive worked with mp3 music for 2 months and now the "USB Music" icon is grayed out when inserting the TD in the middle USB port when I disconnect the iPhone for Car Play.

Any solution?
Try inserting the drive into a computer and see if the drive is still functioning correctly. If it isn't, try to reformat it and re-copy the files over to it. Even if it is still functioning, you might want to try that.

I have discovered that the stereo appears to cache (keep a local copy) of the thumbdrive directory. Even if it is removed and re-inserted it doesn't always re-read the directory. I've added files to the drive and when I re-insert the drive, the stereo doesn't recognize the newly added files. I had to bring it back to my computer, reformat the drive, and copy the files over in order for the stereo to re-read the directory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts