Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2022 K5 GTLine Wolf Grey
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most, this car is a major upgrade from my previous and I’m considering all things to keep it secure and safe for as long as possible and one of those things is a Dash Cam. Does anyone have recommendations for dash cams, install tips, pros & cons etc. never owned one before so just fishing for ideas. Thanks all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Nexar dash cam and so far I am pleased with it. They have a variety of options for different price points. They all connect to a simple to use app. The app connection can be spotty at times though, but in general it's a good camera. But there are tons of good cameras out there! I've also used Rexing dash cams and they were really good too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Recommend one with GPS to it will track your speed and location. Great when I cop says you were speeding when you were not. Get the highest picture quality you can afford 1080, 2K , 4K.
My son and I have this one and its great.. Forward and rear facing cameras

Amazon Mirror dash camera ...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not very hard. Uses 12V cig plug for power. Route power to center console. Route backup\ rear camera to the rear. You can use the supplied pry bar to stuff the cord behind all moldings. Since you already have a backup camera no need to wire it the backup lights. (Unless you want to) The camera will show both view or single view. GPS ant. just gets installed near the front mirror camera.

Difficulty level 6. 7 if you wire in the backup lights. I am sure you can find a youtube install of a similar camera.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve been using this dashcam for the past 2 years or so. Has a built in super capacitor to deal with the Florida heat and is pretty low profile. Connects using an app which has been getting consistent updates. I’ve had no issues with it. Comes with a wireless remote button to capture incidents that don’t happen to you directly. I’ve gotten the wiring kit to utilize parking mode and wiring is easy in these cars. Ties directly into the fuse box on the drivers side under the dash. Dash Cam DDPAI Mini3 Dashboard FHD 1600P Car Camera DVR Recorder with 32g eMMC Storage, Night Vision,Wide Angle, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording Amazon.com: Dash Cam DDPAI Mini3 Dashboard FHD 1600P Car Camera DVR Recorder with 32g eMMC Storage, Night Vision,Wide Angle, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording

·
Registered
22 Posts
Definitely get a front and rear camera my car got rear ended 3 weeks after I purchased it 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought an A129 Plus Duo, front and rear. Still testing it out.
If you don't want to fiddle with hardwiring it but also don't want to use up a 12V or USB port, they sell OBD connectors that you can connect the cam to. Works similar to hardwiring it, but no soldering required.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
702 Posts
I'll post this here for reference if anyone is looking for one. It can also be used for installing interior accent lights. There are ones that split to 2 USB-A ports as well for both dash cam and interior lights that use USB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Nexar dash cam and so far I am pleased with it. They have a variety of options for different price points. They all connect to a simple to use app. The app connection can be spotty at times though, but in general it's a good camera. But there are tons of good cameras out there! I've also used Rexing dash cams and they were really good too.
The only problem with with those cameras is it you want to use CarPlay and your nexar, you won’t be able to. I’ve already tried it with my new K5 Kia 2022 and it doesn’t work, now I’m having trouble finding a new dash cam that is compatible for the car.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
702 Posts
I'm also thinking of getting it, and also the mirror-mounted arm for the cam. I don't like the thought of having the cam fall off after a while in the sun. lol

The rear-mounted cam might be a whole 'nother challenge, though. Going to have to see how to mount it underneath the lights and the wiring for the power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts