Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
or the accessory fuse? I am trying to hook up some LED lights and was told to use the accessory fuse. (don't know **** about cars) but what would that be labeled as?

· Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,396 Posts
What kind of lights are you trying to hook up? Interior or exterior? Accessory (or sometime seen as ACC) is just when the car is "on" but the engine and main systems are still off. In key ignition cars, it's the first turn notch you encounter before turning one more time to start the engine. In button start cars, it's when you press the "Engine Start" button without stepping on the brakes.

For instance, the car radio, the windows, A/C blower, etc. all have a separate wire for ACC so the system can tell it to turn on when in ACC mode. The USB and 12V ports on the car also run in ACC mode as well so those could be potential fuses to tap into if they are interior lights.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of lights are you trying to hook up? Interior or exterior? Accessory (or sometime seen as ACC) is just when the car is "on" but the engine and main systems are still off. In key ignition cars, it's the first turn notch you encounter before turning one more time to start the engine. In button start cars, it's when you press the "Engine Start" button without stepping on the brakes.

For instance, the car radio, the windows, A/C blower, etc. all have a separate wire for ACC so the system can tell it to turn on when in ACC mode. The USB and 12V ports on the car also run in ACC mode as well so those could be potential fuses to tap into if they are interior lights.
Exterior lights, on the fust box I see nothing that says ACC, which fust would be best to use for exterior lights to tap into?

· Registered
2 Posts
Exterior lights, on the fust box I see nothing that says ACC, which fust would be best to use for exterior lights to tap into?
I would not tap into any existing circuit. The body control modules in todays cars can be very sensitive to current draw. Adding a load a module doesn't recognize could cause it to not work correctly, trip codes/warning lights and worst case cause some VERY expensive damage.
I would run a fused lead directly off the battery.
There may be some port on a fuse box for adding accessories but I've only had the car for a month and I'm not aware of it (if it exists)

· Registered
2022 K5 GT line FWD
61 Posts
There are two 10-amp unused spares in the under-dash fuse box. One is live all the time the other is switched. I used them for my dash cam with parking mode. Like said above I would not use anything else for aftermarket accessories. I did tap the console power outlet fuse for my radar detector. That is reasonably safe since the RD would normally plug into it. Only use proper fuse taps with appropriate fuses. I used 5 amp fuses for my add ons.

· Registered
2 Posts
There are two 10-amp unused spares in the under-dash fuse box. One is live all the time the other is switched. I used them for my dash cam with parking mode. Like said above I would not use anything else for aftermarket accessories. I did tap the console power outlet fuse for my radar detector. That is reasonably safe since the RD would normally plug into it. Only use proper fuse taps with appropriate fuses. I used 5 amp fuses for my add ons.
Thanks for that info. I didn't know that, I'm sure I'll use that in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts