Kia K5 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I followed up with:

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately a dealer tech will be of no help to me.

The issue with the cruise control is something that the software engineers of Kia need to look into.

Based on feedback from many people on forums, as well as my own research into it, the cruise control system just needs to be able to be turned on without automatically setting a speed for it to function as the other Kia models do. Seems that is just a software issue and nothing mechanical.

If you could forward it to someone like that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX
27 Posts
"forwarding the information to the appropriate team members..." Okay, I believe we'll get a response when hell freezes over. Thanks for posting their reply.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
"forwarding the information to the appropriate team members..." Okay, I believe we'll get a response when hell freezes over. Thanks for posting their reply.
Yeah their forwarding to the correct team member most likely means deleting the email. I'm not done spamming their stuff yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
They replied again:

"We will definitely pass along the information to the software engineers here at Kia Motors of America. A dealer tech may be able to assist in that they have the ability to report technical issues as well. If the vehicle feature is not performing as designed they can also report the issue and get more eyes on it.

Sincerely,
Tracy

Kia Motors America"

Honestly a solid response and one I hadn't thought of regarding the techs being able to report issues in a more direct route. I will definitely ask my tech tomorrow about it, car is getting warranty work done for a vibration and buzzing coming from the center drive tunnel.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX
27 Posts
They replied again:

"We will definitely pass along the information to the software engineers here at Kia Motors of America. A dealer tech may be able to assist in that they have the ability to report technical issues as well. If the vehicle feature is not performing as designed they can also report the issue and get more eyes on it.

Sincerely,
Tracy

Kia Motors America"

Honestly a solid response and one I hadn't thought of regarding the techs being able to report issues in a more direct route. I will definitely ask my tech tomorrow about it, car is getting warranty work done for a vibration and buzzing coming from the center drive tunnel.
Guess I'll let my dealer know also. It's been sitting in their bay for nearly a week because the voice and uvo buttons stopped working. I figured they're overwhelmed enough with that problem. Thanks for your follow up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I had my service tech send an email or whatever to Kia. He said that he had heard of that before, and completely understood what I was getting at.

He mentioned something like Kia is aware of the issue or something along those lines.

He said that if a fix is released, it will be something that comes in a service bulletin, meaning you'll have to notify them that you want it done to the car and take it in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm still constantly pestering Kia about this issue. I'm so sick of the cruise on this car.

I'm equally as sick of the car stepping on the brakes when going down a hill with the cruise on too.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX
27 Posts
I'm still constantly pestering Kia about this issue. I'm so sick of the cruise on this car.

I'm equally as sick of the car stepping on the brakes when going down a hill with the cruise on too.
I'm equally as sick of the car downshifting when going down a hill, or jamming on the brakes when it erroneously thinks the car in the next lane is in front of it when going around a curve.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
640 Posts
It's been a while but just wanted to update on how to turn off the Vehicle Distance feature of the Smart Cruise Control.

On the steering wheel, there should be a button on the lower left to set how far away your car is from the car in front of you before it slows down to match the speed. With cruise control off, press and hold the button until it turns off the feature.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
178 Posts
It's been a while but just wanted to update on how to turn off the Vehicle Distance feature of the Smart Cruise Control.

On the steering wheel, there should be a button on the lower left to set how far away your car is from the car in front of you before it slows down to match the speed. With cruise control off, press and hold the button until it turns off the feature.

View attachment 949
Nice find. I have been driving a little more recently, and the distance thing is a little annoying when a car decides to merge and my car hits the brakes a little too hard to adjust. It's nice to have the option to turn it off.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX
27 Posts
That last sentence is what's wrong. You can't change from SCC to standard cruise control by pressing and holding button 'C'--not on the K5. Many of us have tried repeatedly.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
640 Posts
That last sentence is what's wrong. You can't change from SCC to standard cruise control by pressing and holding button 'C'--not on the K5. Many of us have tried repeatedly.
Oof... Alright.

I was thinking it could also be in conjunction with the Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) system being over sensitive in some cases. Try setting it from "Active Assist" to another setting option like "Warning Only" and see if that changes how it reacts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It does nothing to change the cruise. I've tried every option combination possible.

We need to be able to turn power to the cruise control system while sitting at a stop so that it doesn't save a speed, just arms the system.

Then it would se holding the distance button once that has been achieved will change the system.

But we cannot turn on the cruise without automatically saving a speed.

It's ridiculous and I'm starting to hate this car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone heard anything new on this? Our K5 is only 6 months old with 18k miles and now has warped rotors. My wife drives is 120 miles daily on the interstate and likes to run 10mph over so I’m convinced the Smart Cruise/ auto braking is responsible for the rotors overheating and warping. I never had to replace the rotors in 170k of driving with our Sorento.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bump

Anyone figured this out? About to go on a road trip and don't want to deal with me jamming out to music and having the car slow itself down because I'm many car lengths behind someone.

Tried holding down the "distance" button to disable SCC and it did not seem to work. Tried holding down the cruise button as well, as I saw that as another potential way to disable it. Even set at 1 the car starts slowing down entirely too soon...

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX
27 Posts
There's no figuring it out. Kia needs to come up with a software update so it functions as stated:

"From K5 Features and Functions Guide, Page 24
To change the cruise control mode from SCC to standard cruise control, press and hold button C . Repeat to switch back to SCC mode (the SCC system must not be activated to change modes)."

It absolutely WON'T work as stated. Apparently Kia doesn't care. People have reached out to them...nothing but the sound of crickets...

·
Registered
1 Posts
i mean you could press and hold the traction control odf button, and it will disable any security measures

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
80 Posts
Posting to keep updated on this. Sucks having the car hit the brakes on the highway because the box truck further up, next to me, is not exactly centered in his lane, and people behind me will get the wrong idea ... I have to turn the cruise off when I get into heavier traffic so I don't have to deal with it braking unnecessarily

21 - 39 of 39 Posts