Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line Wolf Grey
65 Posts
it looks like soot/exhaust (maybe) and will not come out with water. weird how it's almost symmetrical. nothing on the hood directly above it. bizarre.

View attachment 742
Possibly ink from that temp tag after it got wet? Maybe even color bleeding out of the cheapo plastic dealer license plate frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks very much for the reply. i don't think that's it but i guess it's possible that the wind from driving it forced something from the tag (or behind it) up on the plastic bumper. it looks like it's coming from out of the grill but when i popped the hood, i don't see any trace of anything. it was not parked in such a way that a vehicle, or anything else, was directly in front of the front bumper.

it's so weird and looks terrible. obviously i don't care about the tag but it's really messed up the plastic bumoer cover. going to drive by the dealer and see what they say. not even sure if they can get that black crap out of the plastic bumper. will suck if i have to pay for it but i really just want it fixed. and more than that, i want to kniw the source so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Possibly ink from that temp tag after it got wet? Maybe even color bleeding out of the cheapo plastic dealer license plate frame.
ok, i went out to look at it again and i think you are on to something! the bottom of that cheap paper tag was outside the plate holder and it was folded. so it actually DOES look like the wind from driving it folded the tag and it rubbed off on the plastic bumper cover. it was also just washed by the service dept an hour or so before i drove it on the highway for 2 hours so the fact that it was wet like you suggested checks out as well. i think you solved it. thanks again for replying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It can probably be buffed
to follow up, i went to my dealer, showed it to the general manager and he had the salesman ride up to the service department with me so he could grab their detail manager without me having to wait. he agreed with the diagnosis and said he was surprised that they haven't had other complaints about it.

so at first he tried a soft cloth and cleaning solution which didn't do anything. then he went in and got his drill with the buffer attachment and a different solution. it didn't come off easy but after a few minutes, it was all completely removed. i was so relieved as i've only had my K5 GT Line SE for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line Wolf Grey
65 Posts
to follow up, i went to my dealer, showed it to the general manager and he had the salesman ride up to the service department with me so he could grab their detail manager without me having to wait. he agreed with the diagnosis and said he was surprised that they haven't had other complaints about it.

so at first he tried a soft cloth and cleaning solution which didn't do anything. then he went in and got his drill with the buffer attachment and a different solution. it didn't come off easy but after a few minutes, it was all completely removed. i was so relieved as i've only had my K5 GT Line SE for 3 weeks.
Glad to hear it worked out for you. Just be sure to check where they buffed to make sure they didn’t burn the clear coat finish with too much abrasive rubbing compound

·
Registered
2022 K5 Gt-Line Premium AWD
53 Posts
So mine just did this but without the ink.. Just light scratching. As I pull into the dealership there is another Wolf Gray GT-Line with the same issue, except our plates actually shredded with the wind...

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
846 Posts
My rear license plate kinda chafed at the trim and body from time to time. I ended up getting some rolls of dense foam weatherstrips and cut some off to pad the license plate from behind.

The next time you're at the dealer, see if they can pad it out for you, or you can buy some dense foam padding yourself and apply it on there. I went with 1/8 inch thick foam but I think I should have went with something thicker. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts