Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in a K5 Gt line and I have badly damaged ears with severe sound sensitivity. I did a brief test drive, but did not get out on the highway.

So far, the car seemed to have a relatively quiet interior. The issue I'm having so far is that on aggressive throttle, the 4cyl starts to sound really raspy and resonates into the car quite a but. That caused me some discomfort. But I'm wondering if I could live with that since I wont be hopefully going full throttle often.

Car and Driver listed the optima as one of the top 15 quietest cars in one article. Wonder if anyone who came from an optima feels the K5 is equally quiet?

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT-Line
36 Posts
My opinion is that the interior of the K5 is very quiet. Cruising on the highway i feel there is no drone of the exhaust. On normal acceleration, there is a point at around 2k RPM where the exhaust will resonate into the car, but it is honestly so quick since once it shifts it goes away. I have no issues with wind noise or road noise. I find it more quiet than the Infiniti QX, VW jetta, Alfa Romeo Giulia, and BMW 5 series. TBH the only other car ive been in more quiet then this one is a tesla.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Compared to my Honda passport it’s a lot louder, but that could be because of how low it is to the ground. Haven’t had a sedan in years so I can’t compare it to anything else, plus last sedan was a Pontiac g8 gt V8 with full exhaust and no cats, so it definitely wasn’t quiet.lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your test drive could have had "Active Sound Design" active, which is basically fake exhaust noise being pumped into the cabin by the car's speakers. It's enabled by default, but not sure on which trims. It's a feature that is connected to the throttle to get 'realistic engine noises' to pretend the engine is more powerful/loud than it is. I think it's dumb, so in the touchscreen settings I immediately fully disabled it (you can also turn it to high or low). With it disabled I think the car is extremely quiet. Road noise is present until I am listening to music at a reasonable volume, and then it really does disappear. It's very cool!

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's a pretty quiet cabin. Of course it really depends on the roads you drive on. I recently drove to Denver and one stretch of I-80 had some complete crap pavement and it was LOUD, so much so that when we transitioned off that section to a smoother section it was very obvious how much quieter it became.

I will say I do have some wind noise but I think it's noticeable only because how quiet the cabin is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
+1 on pavement type. It's crazy! Some are really loud and it super sucks. I think that it's partially the tires - they are Pirellis and probably not focused on a quiet ride compared to other tires.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Interested in a K5 Gt line and I have badly damaged ears with severe sound sensitivity. I did a brief test drive, but did not get out on the highway.

So far, the car seemed to have a relatively quiet interior. The issue I'm having so far is that on aggressive throttle, the 4cyl starts to sound really raspy and resonates into the car quite a but. That caused me some discomfort. But I'm wondering if I could live with that since I wont be hopefully going full throttle often.

Car and Driver listed the optima as one of the top 15 quietest cars in one article. Wonder if anyone who came from an optima feels the K5 is equally quiet?
I traded my 2019 Kia Optima EX in for the 2021 K5 EX and I find that the 2021 is definitely quieter than the 2019.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Interested in the GT... Would gladly buy it without a sunroof or a standard roof rather than "panoramic". Sadly not offered. Kia thinks everyone wants one of these monstrosities over their heads.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
170 Posts
I didn't drive a K5 without the sunroof. I'm going by my experience when I bought my previous car the Optima. I test drove one without a sunroof, but I wound up buying an EX with the sunroof (same panoramic sunroof as the K5). I noticed immediately that it was definitely louder than the one without the sunroof. It wasn't so terrible I couldn't live with it, but It did irk me a little.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The car does a good job at muffling sounds.

Perhaps this may be a sunroof issue but for me, high pitch sounds like a ricer Honda with a raspy exhaust will leak through.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Souped up small cars from asian brands have been called "Rice Burners" for a while. Probably not the most politically correct term these days.
Oh, they are the ones I see out on the road that are very loud, with a air foil (HA) and can hardly do 70 mph. They do make me laugh.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
170 Posts
Oh, they are the ones I see out on the road that are very loud, with a air foil (HA) and can hardly do 70 mph. They do make me laugh.
Yeah, that's them. They are usually tuned to within an inch of their life with the barest of minimum muffler making them sound like they are going to explode. They are probably faster than you think though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, that's them. They are usually tuned to within an inch of their life with the barest of minimum muffler making them sound like they are going to explode. They are probably faster than you think though.
They probably are faster then I think, but then again I am a slow thinker.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
I've say it is pretty quiet in the cabin, especially when the sunroof shade is also closed.

One thing, though. I think either heat is leaking into the car or the sunroof, being untinted, might be letting in the heat with the intense sun we get. The car gets hot and stays hot for longer than I feel it should even when you crank the A/C up, even with a front windshield sunshade.

In comparison, my mom's 2020 RAV4 interior is cool and stays cool when you first get in the car within the first few secs that the A/C comes in. No front sunshade needed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've say it is pretty quiet in the cabin, especially when the sunroof shade is also closed.

One thing, though. I think either heat is leaking into the car or the sunroof, being untinted, might be letting in the heat with the intense sun we get. The car gets hot and stays hot for longer than I feel it should even when you crank the A/C up, even with a front windshield sunshade.

In comparison, my mom's 2020 RAV4 interior is cool and stays cool when you first get in the car within the first few secs that the A/C comes in. No front sunshade needed.
Open the sunroof and turn on your air. You will be cool in a matter of seconds

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Air is on and I usually crack the roof open a little to let the heat out, but the heat lingers for a good few minutes before it gets cool enough to close the top and I can turn the A/C dow again. Still, I'm having to close the shade cause the sun has been heating up the back seats and my back even with the A/C on. lol

I do know that the roof shade does get pretty warm to the touch, though. The tinter I went to wouldn't touch the pana roof so it's the only window left untinted. I might look into going to another place that would be able to do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts