Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys do your own oil changes? I cannot get over the price of $90 for a synthetic oil change at the dealership. If i keep the log book up to date with receipts and mileage would i have any warranty issues?

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT Line Wolf Gray w/Red Leather
48 Posts
Do you guys do your own oil changes? I cannot get over the price of $90 for a synthetic oil change at the dealership. If i keep the log book up to date with receipts and mileage would i have any warranty issues?
Yes, make sure you have proof of everything though. You should use the oe oil filter if possible. Because the car is under warranty still, if you wait long enough the dealer will send you a discount coupon for the oil change and that will also get you an inspection to see if there are any other issues that would be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line Wolf Grey
84 Posts
I’ve done my own oil changes for years on all my cars. I keep a small logbook in my car of everything little thing I do to it. I also keep every receipt for everything with the logbook. My records are as good if not better than what most dealers keep. I buy the OEM filters in bulk boxes of 6 or 10 online and always use either Mobil 1 or Royal Purple.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I keep the part from the OE oil filter box with the part number. Write in the date/mileage when changed and staple that to the oil receipts.

Mobil 1 has a rebate of $10-15/5 qt jug going through the end of the month (or year) if I recall. So oil changes end up being ~$40ish after rebates.

I don't know if the optima has an access hole? On the stinger I remove the entire lower cover and inspect closely for any leaks on either side of the engine.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
942 Posts
On the 1.6T at least, there are individual access holes for the oil filter and drain plug. I figured it should be the same for the 2.5T engine.

Just as long as it's not the pain in the neck like the Genesis GV80 2.5T engine. For some reason, those cars with that engine has an access port underneath for the oil filter, but the drain plug doesn't and is therefore blocked by the front underbody cover. lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
^^Definitely not the case on the stinger 2.5T. Not sure about the k5 gt.

In fact, on the stinger, one has to remove the plastic engine cover to even pour oil into the damn car, unlike other kia products that have an accessible oil fill hole. Tempted to get the hole saw out and cut an appropriately sized hole in the right area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I keep the part from the OE oil filter box with the part number. Write in the date/mileage when changed and staple that to the oil receipts.

Mobil 1 has a rebate of $10-15/5 qt jug going through the end of the month (or year) if I recall. So oil changes end up being ~$40ish after rebates.

I don't know if the optima has an access hole? On the stinger I remove the entire lower cover and inspect closely for any leaks on either side of the engine.

There are two separate access holes, secured by tabs, one for the filter and one for the oil pan. Quite an easy oil change with a tab pulller and maybe an oil deflector depending on how clean you want to keep the underbody cover. Took me 25 mins on the first try, mostly trying not to break the tabs and find one of my universal ones that would fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts