Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on another board. It seems like a running debate among owners regardless of make or model.

This article stuck out to me because it is feedback from a Porsche engineer. It's a longer read but interesting.

After reading I am glad that I followed the manual as best I could. With the new CVVT motor and other tech on the car I trust KIA's engineers more than myself.

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line Wolf Grey
48 Posts
Now on to the next debate…..whether or not to do a break-in oil change after 500-1000 miles or just wait til the first regular oil change interval. I’m a big believer in doing the first oil change between 750-1000 miles.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
If you can, I would do the first oil change at 1000-1500 miles. It should get any factory or new engine metal particles out of the system.

Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to do my own oil change, especially with a car this low of a clearance, so I'll have to take it easy until the first oil change at the dealer around 5000 miles. Oil changes at the dealer are under the maintenance warranty only if it is close to the scheduled oil change mileage.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now on to the next debate…..whether or not to do a break-in oil change after 500-1000 miles or just wait til the first regular oil change interval. I’m a big believer in doing the first oil change between 750-1000 miles.
It can't hurt. If anything wears unusually and/or there is any metal, better to get it out sooner than later.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can, I would do the first oil change at 1000-1500 miles. It should get any factory or new engine metal particles out of the system.

Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to do my own oil change, especially with a car this low of a clearance, so I'll have to take it easy until the first oil change at the dealer around 5000 miles. Oil changes at the dealer are under the maintenance warranty only if it is close to the scheduled oil change mileage.
Warranty? Only if you have a deal from from where you purchased. In the US, Kia factory warranty doesn't change your oil.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Warranty? Only if you have a deal from from where you purchased. In the US, Kia factory warranty doesn't change your oil.
lol That's true. Mine came with a 5-year dealership maintenance plan. They had an extended one for 10 years but I didn't see a need for it. Personally, I wouldn't really care much for it but the dealer is pretty close so it works out well for me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Found this on another board. It seems like a running debate among owners regardless of make or model.

This article stuck out to me because it is feedback from a Porsche engineer. It's a longer read but interesting.

After reading I am glad that I followed the manual as best I could. With the new CVVT motor and other tech on the car I trust KIA's engineers more than myself.
This has been a Porsche thing since we got our first 911 in Germany back in the 80s. back when Porsche would fly you to the showroom there to take possession of your new car.. it’s understandable and like so many things in the automotive world, it’s definitely debatable and not true for all Makes. That’s for sure. I started building performance engines for hot rods, mainly roadsters and other classics back in the late 90s. Everything from Hemi cudas to 32 fords. I moved into new cars in around 2004.
being a car fanatic I have owned a hemi cuda SRT Jeep, Is350, ISF, Audi RS4, several Chevy Trucks, trail hawk and many more I have never broken in my engines under these guidelines and I have never had an issue. Do what you want. 😂

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
434 Posts
For peace of mind, I changed the oils at 1500kms and then at 6k km. Now it's every 6k. During my "break in period" I didn't rev higher than 4000 rpm. Not only for the engine but also wanted to break in the dct as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I change oil every 3k. only use 91 and for EXTRA safety I always add the KN air filter Sticker. Not only does the sticker cover the engine. It increases HP by 50. If you add the chrome sticker it’s added 100 HP 💪 That’s a shout out to all my charger boys. Lol

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
@RuffGT
Damn, you still have pics of the Cuda? It's one of my all time favorite classic cars. I especially love the '71s with the gill grills.

There was an orange '71 340 Cuda during my college days. I always admired it as I passed it by on the parking lot. lol Everyone always talk about Camaros, Challengers, and Mustangs of the day but the Cuda was always the car I admired most.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I do have some pictures actually and will post. I agree man. I love the 70 and it was a grand coupe so had the turn signals on the hood. It’ Was definitely one of my favorites. Almond white with brown leather interior.

·
Registered
2021 K5 EX AWD
27 Posts
One dealership did offer me lifetime oil changes as part of the Alberta Premium Package, the dealership in which I got my car, did not offer the lifetime oil changes. It really depends where you get your car I guess...

·
Registered
169 Posts
What countless exoboost mustangs, camry red and Honda sport drivers after they get dusted and pull up next to me.. Look carefully 😂

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What countless exoboost mustangs, camry red and Honda sport drivers after they get dusted and pull up next to me.. Look carefully 😂 View attachment 1477
Yep I really love if they want to play once we're rolling.

I had some stupid tuned, coffee can exhaust, over grown weed wacker sounding Accord Coupe get froggy on the Interstate this weekend. I let them get ahead of me by about 150m then dropped in to SPORT + until I disappeared over the next hill.

It's a great feeling! 😂

·
Registered
169 Posts
I can’t help myself. They are on every street corner, stop light .. always with the windows down and that same dumb
look on their face like “look at me now“ .. I don’t like looking at them so I found it’s best to just dust um, I can’t see them behind me lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts