Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a link where I can get good easy to understand about drive modes. Does everyone use SMART? What does dynamic side of eco bar mean ...the longer that line the more gas I am using?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can anyone suggest a link where I can get good easy to understand about drive modes. Does everyone use SMART? What does dynamic side of eco bar mean ...the longer that line the more gas I am using?
MPG from left to right 0 15 30 50

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dynamic is a fancy word for using more gas :)

Service Manager at my dealer said to consider SMART the same as ECO in other cars. I leave mine in smart most of the time unless I'm messing around and then go for sport.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
605 Posts
Same, I usually just leave it in SMART mode when daily driving. I might mess around with Snow mode for that 50/50 power with AWD later.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
168 Posts
I've just been leaving it in normal, but now that I'm actually driving into work twice a week, maybe I'll start experimenting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've just been leaving it in normal, but now that I'm actually driving into work twice a week, maybe I'll start experimenting.
I did the same until I realized that unless I leave it in smart then I have to reset it everytime I drive and wasnt worth the hassle.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
168 Posts
I thought it would stay in normal. I'll have to check when I leave work to see what drive mode it defaults to. I know if you select sport it will not be in sport the next time. I expect the same to be true of Snow. But I thought it retained normal and smart (and maybe custom) if that was the last selected mode.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
168 Posts
I got I got 32 MPG my last tank on Normal drive mode the entire time. I thought I'd try Smart mode on the next tank. It has been terrible. I can barely crack 30 MPG so far and the average is like 29.5. This is mostly highway driving. I can't say it feels much different, but it's definitely doing something different to be losing over 2 MPG.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
168 Posts
I was reading the manual and when cruise is enabled smart mode is disabled. I'm not sure what mode the car goes into when that happens, but it does not seem to be the most economical. I use cruise a lot as most of my commute is on the highway.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line FWD
46 Posts
I kinda find it a bit disappointing since US models don't have "ECO" mode, we only got normal and sport.. no comfort or eco.. I heard ECO mode kinda sucks tho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just as a clarification, smart mode switches the car from sport to normal depending on how you usually drive at the time of the day. For example, if you encounter a lot of traffic in the mornings, the car will usually keep it in normal settings but when you drive faster in the afternoons, it will easily shift to sport so you get a bit more acceleration.

For MPG, keep it in normal. I usually get around 30-35.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GTLine AWD
37 Posts
Just as a clarification, smart mode switches the car from sport to normal depending on how you usually drive at the time of the day. For example, if you encounter a lot of traffic in the mornings, the car will usually keep it in normal settings but when you drive faster in the afternoons, it will easily shift to sport so you get a bit more acceleration.

For MPG, keep it in normal. I usually get around 30-35.
if you watch the screen in the trip/mpg menu it does switch to eco while in smart depending on your drive style. if you lean into it a bit it goes to normal.. and a bit more goes into sport

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you watch the screen in the trip/mpg menu it does switch to eco while in smart depending on your drive style. if you lean into it a bit it goes to normal.. and a bit more goes into sport
From my research on Korean Kia forums, that is just the indicator of the MPG. It’s really hard to constantly have the car switch between sports and eco depending on how hard you press the pedal. Mostly the setting exists to preset the modes depending on when you are driving but the MPG meter will display how you are burning gas not the setting of the car. This information changes for American Kia dealership sites and Korean ones so it might be different but it’s what I’ve gathered so far. Best MPG still when in normal.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GTLine AWD
37 Posts
From my research on Korean Kia forums, that is just the indicator of the MPG. It’s really hard to constantly have the car switch between sports and eco depending on how hard you press the pedal. Mostly the setting exists to preset the modes depending on when you are driving but the MPG meter will display how you are burning gas not the setting of the car. This information changes for American Kia dealership sites and Korean ones so it might be different but it’s what I’ve gathered so far. Best MPG still when in normal.
i have noticed mine drop a smidge in smart.. back to normal i go!

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line Wolf Grey
48 Posts
I have a 2021 GT-Line FWD (US version) and I have no idea what the CUSTOM mode does. If I put it in CUSTOM the car drives exactly like it were in Normal mode. There’s no place I can find that allows me to make any kind of settings to the mode so I’m not sure why it’s called CUSTOM. It seems pointless to me.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
605 Posts
I have a 2021 GT-Line FWD (US version) and I have no idea what the CUSTOM mode does. If I put it in CUSTOM the car drives exactly like it were in Normal mode. There’s no place I can find that allows me to make any kind of settings to the mode so I’m not sure why it’s called CUSTOM. It seems pointless to me.
You should be able to customize it. I think it was set through the Infotainment settings menu.

For me, I remember it just having the settings for transmission and steering response.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts