Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone from Russia. We found a way to enter the engineering menu on a 10.25-inch screen. Found a password to enter the dealer's menu (2400). But we cannot find the password to enter the engineering mode.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
391 Posts
lol Kinda funny how we find these from Russian videos, but I also found one for the 8" screen as well.

Once you're in the Settings menu and into the System Info screen, you'll have to do the "6 taps on the left and 1 tap on the right" twice, and you have to do it fairly fast too. Like in the video, you'll hear a beep if you did it correctly.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
252 Posts
What's the point of entering engineering mode? What can I add/change to make things better?

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
391 Posts
May be useful if someone might want to tinker with something like adding new hardware to the car that only comes with a higher trim package or overseas model and test it out. Or seeing if there's a way to enable Wireless AA/AC on the 10.25" headunit.

Other applications would be for testing stuff like making it possible to play stuff like YouTube or other apps on the bigger screen.

Speaking of which, I found a neat solution for Android Auto (sorry Apple Carplay users 🙁) that let's me play videos on the screen and watch YouTube. It's a phone app and doesn't require rooting your phone so it's something anyone and an Android phone can try.

A few things to note before downloading:
  • You only get to download 1 app per month (Pro is a one time fee of £3.50, or USD$4.32)
  • The recommended app is Fermata Auto for the 1 download, which let's you browse your phone files, watch YouTube, browse the web, and possibly watch a TV stream service (haven't test it out yet)
  • YouTube playback isn't working perfectly yet so some videos will start to play all broken
  • This app requires you to rollback to version 6.3 of Android Auto in order to work
  • This does not require you to root your phone or hack the headunit software
Here's a pic of YouTube working (when the video is working) on my 8" screen.
20210708_173010.jpg 20210708_173021.jpg 20210708_173353.jpg

The screen mirroring apps (AA Mirror and AA Mirror Plus) works fine too but since it is just copying what's on your screen, the apps that are vertical will stay vertical. But here's a shot of me taking a pic of the camera app taking a pic of the camera app taking a pic of the...you get the idea. lol
20210708_173901.jpg

I haven't gotten AA Stream to work, though. And Screen2Auto isn't showing up on the Android Auto apps list so I can't test that out, although they state that the app may not work with some Samsung devices among others.

Here's a list of all the apps it has.
Screenshot_20210708-175200_AAAD.jpg

I decided to drop the few bucks to test out all the other apps. I just haven't tried the ones in Other category yet but all the others except Screen Auto has been working (besides the YouTube video glitching for the Multimedia apps). I'll be happy to try out any of the other apps in the Others category if anyone would like me to.

I found out about it from this video. He demonstrates this app on a 10.25" screen if you're curious on how it looks on the bigger screen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the point of entering engineering mode? What can I add/change to make things better?
enable support for wireless carplay. Just like it was done at 8 inches. In Russia, by default, our cars in any configuration do not include wireless carplay

·
Registered
39 Posts
Watch the video from Asian Petrolhead on YouTube about the K5 and all the (very cool) things the overseas market received that we didn't (and if you try them, your car will tell you that the vehicle is not equipped). Would be very cool to have the extra voice commands (such as opening the windows and/or sunroof, turning on seat heaters/ventilation, etc).

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
391 Posts
And does it work? Good for Android auto?
Sorry, did you mean the AA app or the engineering mode? If it's the AA app, I've got it to work fairly well with Fermata Auto. I suggest giving it a try as you can just uninstall the 2 apps and update AA back to the current version if you don't like it. The AAAD app is required as it enables some AA features on your phone that may be required without needing you to root your phone. You just don't have to keep it running, only that it is installed and run once to get the appropriate apps.

I don't recommend the Screen Mirroring apps as many mobile apps are designed only for vertical oriented screens so you'll see it vertical on the screen with lots of empty space.

There is quite a bit of audio delay with the video playback, though, so you'll probably have to fiddle around with the audio delay settings.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
391 Posts
Hi, did anyone get this to work on the 10.5 screen? I'm missing something. Thx
I think the sequence might be calling up the Dealer mode. I found a site that guides you how to get to it in step by step instructions:
  1. Press the Setup button or choose All menus -> Settings
  2. Choose System Info
  3. In a quick sequence
    1. set volume using left knob to level 0
    2. then to level 7 and press the right knob
    3. then set volume to level 3 and press the right knob
    4. then set volume to level 1 and press the right knob
  4. Password is '2400'
  5. Choose Send

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
391 Posts
My radio only has 1 button on the left?
The OP should show you how to do the same with the 1-button 10.25" screen.

You first have to go into the Infotainment settings menu and be at the screen where you view the software and firmware versions. Then, instead of using the non-existent second dial button, you use the steering wheel volume rocker.
  1. Make sure the volume is initially set to 0​
  2. Turn the volume up to 7​
  3. Hit the radial button for the screen​
  4. Turn the volume down to 3​
  5. Hit the radial button again​
  6. Turn the volume to 1​
  7. Hit the radial button a 3rd time​
The code prompt should come up.

Let me know if it works for you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The OP should show you how to do the same with the 1-button 10.25" screen.

You first have to go into the Infotainment settings menu and be at the screen where you view the software and firmware versions. Then, instead of using the non-existent second dial button, you use the steering wheel volume rocker.
……
The code prompt should come up.

Let me know if it works for you!
What can be accomplished within the menus?

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
391 Posts
I'm not exactly sure yet but I figure it might be useful for doing some self diagnostics and tests, and possibly enabling certain features that didn't come with your car when the proper hardware has been installed. For instance, the all-digital instrument cluster or the 360 view. It also allows you to re-calibrate your parking cam guide lines if you find them a bit off.

But enabling those features are currently just hypotheticals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts