Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may have seen my other posts I had a 2021 gt line that the engine was dying while driving. I made a deal with Kia corporate and the dealer To get out of that car and into a 2022 K5 GT. I have been extremely pleased with it for the last few days. all the issues I had with the 2021 gt line are gone and it’s definitely better in every way except possibly the awd and interior color. That being said I think I just experienced the first problem to look into.

This morning after driving for aprox 15 mins I got home, turned car off and got out. My wife said what’s that sound as she got out after me , so I walked back and sure enough the engine fan was pumping hard.
I thought at first just normal cooling of the engine but as it went on I was Realized it’s only about 72 degrees outside, I didn’t drive it hard and it’s in my cool garage as this is happening.
So I pulled out my camera and started recording. It went on for a good 3 minutes before I finally decided to turn the engine on and then off again. It immediately stopped this time after shutting it off.

I’m headed back to dealer Tuesday to drop of old gt line second key and will talk to them.

this is my 3rd brand new Kia in 2 years (brand new model also) with problems. They make great looking and for The money.. maybe the best car in its class but they are putting them out too fast with not enough mileage put on for proper testing.

lexus became the number 1 selling luxury car for a reason. They launched the LS in 89 after not only buying our concrete here to construct a racetrack made of our roads essentially in Japan.. but they put a million Miles on it before launching.
there customer service is better then any manufacturer and their cars are built to last. I’m not saying they don’t have issues also. I’m just saying more manufactures should learn form this and properly test these new models in stead of just pouring them out to get sales.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As you may have seen my other posts I had a 2021 gt line that the engine was dying while driving. I made a deal with Kia corporate and the dealer To get out of that car and into a 2022 K5 GT. I have been extremely pleased with it for the last few days. all the issues I had with the 2021 gt line are gone and it’s definitely better in every way except possibly the awd and interior color. That being said I think I just experienced the first problem to look into.

This morning after driving for aprox 15 mins I got home, turned car off and got out. My wife said what’s that sound as she got out after me , so I walked back and sure enough the engine fan was pumping hard.
I thought at first just normal cooling of the engine but as it went on I was Realized it’s only about 72 degrees outside, I didn’t drive it hard and it’s in my cool garage as this is happening.
So I pulled out my camera and started recording. It went on for a good 3 minutes before I finally decided to turn the engine on and then off again. It immediately stopped this time after shutting it off.

I’m headed back to dealer Tuesday to drop of old gt line second key and will talk to them.

this is my 3rd brand new Kia in 2 years (brand new model also) with problems. They make great looking and for The money.. maybe the best car in its class but they are putting them out too fast with not enough mileage put on for proper testing.

lexus became the number 1 selling luxury car for a reason. They launched the LS in 89 after not only buying our concrete here to construct a racetrack made of our roads essentially in Japan.. but they put a million Miles on it before launching.
there customer service is better then any manufacturer and their cars are built to last. I’m not saying they don’t have issues also. I’m just saying more manufactures should learn form this and properly test these new models in stead of just pouring them out to get sales.
I have 5700 on the odo since I picked mine up in June with 27mi. I have ran at 80mph plus in 100 degrees weather in the South. Never experienced what you describe.

My only complaint is it can be sluggish in hot weather after a hard run, but that's to be expected with a turbo that doesn't have a CAI (yet) or race quality intercooler (yet).

As far as Lexus go you are correct; however the 30k I financed on my GT wouldn't get in a decent Lexus with less than 100k on the odo.

Have you had the 2 safety recall for the 2022 yet?

I noticed some differences after the computer update for the LFA. It maybe as simple as that...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have 5700 on the odo since I picked mine up in June with 27mi. I have ran at 80mph plus in 100 degrees weather in the South. Never experienced what you describe.

My only complaint is it can be sluggish in hot weather after a hard run, but that's to be expected with a turbo that doesn't have a CAI (yet) or race quality intercooler (yet).

As far as Lexus go you are correct; however the 30k I financed on my GT wouldn't get in a decent Lexus with less than 100k on the odo.

Have you had the 2 safety recall for the 2022 yet?

I noticed some differences after the computer update for the LFA. It maybe as simple as that...
The only other thing I would mention is that the first 500-700 miles the car truly is an infant. It burps, farts, and generally makes a mess of itself.

As it learns the power curves of the motor and tests the best shift points to build its operating database you will notice all manner of ill tempered behavior.

It will hit hard shifts for no reason, there are aggressive downshifts and engine breaking (especially in stop and go/slow speed operation), torque comes in to soon and squeals the tires in your church parking lot, sometimes it chooses to start in 2nd and drags away from the stop light like a GT Line (😜). But eventually it grows up and that's when the fun starts.

Then you leave Kenny Powers mullet wearing wannabe's in ecoboost mustangs looking for their jockstrap. You can come screaming down into a mountain valley carrying 100 plus and torque steer a wonderful line through a 45 mph curve.

It's a great car, you just have to get through the first 1500 miles or so.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the response. It hasn’t happened again today Abe been in out driving it hard. Weather hotter then this morning. I am un aware of the 2 updates? Got mine last Friday and has 195 miles now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Disable your LFA until you know you are clear.

Are you going to run that JB4 before you clear the 1600mi break in?

Owners manual says to keep it below 4k rpm until then. Wondering how that will effect the tune.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will definitely disable the lane assist. Thank you for sharing this. I was going to run the jb4 at about 500 miles and i don’t care what the owners manual says. I have been working on and building cars since I was 17. There is no reason to keep the car under 4K rpm for first 1600 miles. 😂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I have had my 2022 Kia K5 Gt and I have drove it for a little over 3 weeks and then one day it did not want to start anymore.Had a tow truck pick it up and take it back to the dealer ship, still waiting to see what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can you please be more specific? Did the accessories turn on and the engine wouldn't turn over? Was is completely dead, no lights no sound? Was it an immediate thing? Did it happen intermittently then go dead?

·
Registered
3 Posts
well it would make a sound and roll over but not will turn on the loght would turn on but that was it never displayed anything on the dash screen, the next morning before I went to the dealership I desided to give it another try and try to start the car. The car turned on for about 5 seconds then turned off but the display screen turned on and gave a message stating it has detected a problem to set an appt. with service but I did notice teh cehcek engine light turned on and teh gas tank was on E and I had just filled my tank up on Sunday so their was more than half a tank in the car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
well it would make a sound and roll over but not will turn on the loght would turn on but that was it never displayed anything on the dash screen, the next morning before I went to the dealership I desided to give it another try and try to start the car. The car turned on for about 5 seconds then turned off but the display screen turned on and gave a message stating it has detected a problem to set an appt. with service but I did notice teh cehcek engine light turned on and teh gas tank was on E and I had just filled my tank up on Sunday so their was more than half a tank in the car.
Wow. Sounds like some kind of computer/electronics error. I have a thread open about calling corporate you may want to read. I don't remember any othe GT owners running into electronics problems like this. There are some instances of GT-Lines having problems.

Stay on your dealer and make it clear you expect daily updates on progress. Expect it to go slowly because these are a completely new design and they're being very meticulous about documentation with the K5 engineering team.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Did you get another car? What was wrong with the car/
Wow. Sounds like some kind of computer/electronics error. I have a thread open about calling corporate you may want to read. I don't remember any othe GT owners running into electronics problems like this. There are some instances of GT-Lines having problems.

Stay on your dealer and make it clear you expect daily updates on progress. Expect it to go slowly because these are a completely new design and they're being very meticulous about documentation with the K5 engineering team.

Thank You

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you get another car? What was wrong with the car/

Thank You
Yes I got a new 2022 K5 GT. They took back the 2021 GT line I had And never told me they figured out what the problem was. These K5 definitely have some electrical quirks to work out.. since the one day where fan ran about 3-4 minutes before I started the engine and turned It off..
i have not had any other issue with my 2022 other then Bluetooth dropping out on many occasions. In every other way it’s better then my GT line.
make sure when posting here if you have a GT or a GT line. They care completely different beasts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts