Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming down on the side of “take it or leave it” or “might be handy” initially, but now wouldn’t even consider driving with it disabled, especially in stop and go traffic. For me, it took driving across the country in a rented vehicle with a similar system to get a feel for it, then using what I learned in my K5 when I got back.

Based on what I know now, I would have eventually warmed up to it but a “trial by fire” on roads that almost all along the way, were slow and under construction just clicked for me.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,174 Posts
I can say that it kept me in my lane a few times whenever I drove home pretty tired after work. I still don't trust fully automated driving assist, especially how jerky it still seems (even in Teslas). And on my trim without the optional Premium Package, it doesn't quite contour to sharper curves on the road so I've had to correct the steering during those situations.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, actually I hadn’t looked into the differences the Premium package affords. I have it and, while I avoided activating lane keeping initially, I always make sure it’s on now. Now, when I feel the little tug, I can assess the situation and understand what it was trying to do, (and agree with it). That, over time, has helped me to leave it on even during normal driving speeds and peak attention from me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive with it on all the time. I have the lane assist and the Highway assist. It works great all the time. Except for when the right line on the road goes away at intersections. It tries to push me right but I'm aware of it and correct it. The highway is great. Traffic jams are not so annoying. Set the cruise, turn on both assists, and you can literally pay zero attention as it moves you through traffic. So in my opinion it's amazing. I live in Michigan.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I disable the lane assist but like the highway assist. driving on the highway, I can take my hands off the wheel on a trip to grab a drink out of the cooler or open a bag of chips and it keeps me on the straight and narrow for the 30 seconds of so that takes. I know that's not what it was meant for but it works.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kinda think it was made for that, though. I mean, it’s not like opening the bag or getting the drink weren’t going to happen anyway. It’s just good that Kia’s there to be the knee replacement. I’d go as far as to say it’s so useful, I wouldn’t even think about buying a car without that in the future.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT-Line AWD Premium
30 Posts
Autohold and driving assist are the first two things I turn on even before I change from the parking mode. Wish it could stay persistent and I wouldn't have to turn it on every time I start the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Autohold and driving assist are the first two things I turn on even before I change from the parking mode. Wish it could stay persistent and I wouldn't have to turn it on every time I start the car.
I wish it were persistent, too. There’s been so many times where I sense that my driving feels different to realize that I’ve forgotten to turn it on. :) The hours it’s on in my car vastly outnumber the hours that it’s off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Brake Hold and Cruise should be ON by default IMO. Now, that lane keep assist thing is the devil's work ... it makes your steering feel like something has come loose and it's about to send you into the ditch. I hate it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL Lane Keeping Assist was mainly uncomfortable for me because, apparently, I don’t normally ride the center of the lane. All these years, I THOUGHT I was in the center, but, apparently, I’ve always trended towards the outside of the lane. So, of course, turning LKA on felt like the car had a death wish and wanted to say a head on “hi” to the cars coming in the other direction! Once I took a niiice long interstate drive with it enabled I realized that the car was actually just trying to keep me where I should have been all along... all the “tugs” on the steering wheel made sense.

I feel now that most of my concentration when driving is more around just negotiating passing and the larger navigating activities and not the second to second “am I still on the road”. It’s an interesting shift.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got my k5 it’s very awkward with this on after coming from a Camaro… no sure how long it’s going to take to get used to it
If you have the time (and the gas) plot out 1 to 1.5 hours of highway driving. On those big wide straight roads where you may have long sections where no one is passing you, get a feel for how it “drives” and how it works to stay in the lane. If you’re like me, you may at first constantly feel like you need to correct it. But, that may be that what you used to think was the middle of your lane all this time was actually closer to one of the sides of the lane. Take the time to visually reset what “safe” means as it relates to the view out of the windshield.

Let it take one of those long slow turns for you (touching the wheel when it asks) to understand in your head, “it can handle this”. It’s mainly about you gaining confidence in the technology in a way that lets you feel progressively more comfortable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts