Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I'm in the market for a new K5 but I can't seem to make up my mind if I want the awd or fwd GT Line. I live in SoCal and and commute about 75 mile one way on high way for work at my base. I know it don't snow here or rain and such arguments, but I've been looking at post about people mpg and such and alot of them are getting over 30 on average. Also about how sluggish the fwd can be in hot weather or awd is superior. So is it worth it for my situation to even consider a awd or is it a waste of extra $. Much thank you in advance.

·
Registered
'22 GT-Line AWD
71 Posts
One other benefit to AWD is that you can take corners A LOT better. So if you're prone to a little free spirited driving on windy roads, you'll have a lot more fun with AWD.

All wheel drive also tends to be a much more expensive fix if something ever breaks. Since it'll be under a 10 year warranty this shouldn't be an issue, but it is something to consider if you plan on keeping the car for longer than that.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
Totally agree, if most of your drive is based on straight roads, I definitely recommend going with the FWD model.

If your area sees lots of rain, bit of snow, or just like going on winding roads on occasion, then the AWD might be something to consider.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 Gt-line AWD
22 Posts
I actually am in SoCal myself and honestly they’re right about the curves and roads. Personally my recommendation is AWD because the way these freeways and roads are always curving and changing! Especially the bumpy freeway! Only gets worse and worse. One thing I love about my AWD is it handles all of them with ease. In my other car I can 100% feel the difference in the control. Also too the rain- we know when it comes down it comes down hard. In the rain it seems the AWD has much more control and I usually keep the traction control off. BUT again yes, take into consideration maintenance (I personally haven’t had any issues yet) and MPG. MPG might be a little lower but in my case I felt it was worth it to have my extra features and AWD bc I do a lot of driving between states.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
197 Posts
So are you folks changing to "Snow" mode in order to drive in AWD?
I believe the AWD system constantly monitors for wheel spin and compensates accordingly. Snow mode adjusts the ratio of front to rear power from 70/30 to 50/50. Here's an explaination from another post on the forum:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m fairly sure the K5 doesn’t have a full time AWD system, it’s FWD until it detects slip. It’s marketed to help in snow so I don’t think it’s meant to be a performance AWD system. That would also explain why FWD and AWD models are getting similar gas mileage.

In OPs situation I’d go FWD because there’s really no need to have AWD unless you experience a lot of rain or snow, and even then the right tires will help you more than AWD and stock tires will.

·
Registered
'22 GT-Line AWD
71 Posts
I’m fairly sure the K5 doesn’t have a full time AWD system, it’s FWD until it detects slip. It’s marketed to help in snow so I don’t think it’s meant to be a performance AWD system. That would also explain why FWD and AWD models are getting similar gas mileage.

In OPs situation I’d go FWD because there’s really no need to have AWD unless you experience a lot of rain or snow, and even then the right tires will help you more than AWD and stock tires will.
AWD is always enabled though the power to the rear wheels does change depending on the computer's readings of the road. Under the option in the instrument cluster option that shows power, you can see it giving a lot more power to the rear wheels when you're slamming the gas pedal or in rain. Yaya is right though about snow mode though, it's meant to drive slowly and get traction in the worst of conditions, so it's hard to use on dry pavement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts