Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having problems getting the gas cap flap open. The door is not opening. This is 3 times I’ve stood outside pushing and pushing tapping and tapping and it won’t open. I finally get it open and there’s not a problem with it.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
738 Posts
Was the driver side door unlocked? The gas door gets locked with the driver side door so you'll have to make sure you have the door unlocked before opening the gas door.

Also, if you leave the gas door open before you lock the doors, it'll stay unlocked until the next time you lock the doors again. I tried it out of curiosity... lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
Was the driver side door unlocked? The gas door gets locked with the driver side door so you'll have to make sure you have the door unlocked before opening the gas door.

Also, if you leave the gas door open before you lock the doors, it'll stay unlocked until the next time you lock the doors again. I tried it out of curiosity... lol
Truth in lending. I almost ripped my gas door off one morning at QT. I got out locked the doors and then went to start the fuelling process. When it didn't pop open I went to level 1000% because that door was between me and my morning caffeine. After about 30 seconds I opened the door to grab the manual to look for help and it dawned on me what was going on... 🤦

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
738 Posts
Yeah, it's honestly kind of weird how they made it that way. I mean I understand why but still... Just when I got into the habit of locking my doors before fueling up at the station in my old car. 😂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is anyone else having problems getting the gas cap flap open. The door is not opening. This is 3 times I’ve stood outside pushing and pushing tapping and tapping and it won’t open. I finally get it open and there’s not a problem with it.
I actually had my drivers door open because I was freaking out. I even sprayed a lil WD40 on the thingy and it still wldnt open the next time around. Thought about taking to have it looked at.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I actually had my drivers door open because I was freaking out. I even sprayed a lil WD40 on the thingy and it still wldnt open the next time around. Thought about taking to have it looked at.
If your doors were unlocked and you pressed in on the fuel door and it didn't pop open, then yes get it looked at by your dealer. The door release is usually very responsive and often opens at the slightest bump. So if yours doesn't pop when pushed in then it definitely isn't acting right.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
738 Posts
Just wondering, did the latch plunger have any dirt or grime on it when you got it open or was it pretty clean?

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX
27 Posts
I've had that happen, even when the doors were unlocked. My fix--I locked the doors, then unlocked them again and it released the fuel filler door.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dealership had to replace the whole unit on mine, they couldn't get it open either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Remember to unlock the car, I found that on day 1.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Remember to unlock the car, I found that on day 1.
Yeah we tried that, Kia couldn't get it open either. I had to force it open while I was waiting on the part and then I couldn't get it to close after that. Whole part was faulty.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Its a push in door and it releases open and when you close it push in intill you hear a click

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Truth in lending. I almost ripped my gas door off one morning at QT. I got out locked the doors and then went to start the fuelling process. When it didn't pop open I went to level 1000% because that door was between me and my morning caffeine. After about 30 seconds I opened the door to grab the manual to look for help and it dawned on me what was going on... 🤦
So I took it to the Kia dealership and guess what!?!?!

there was a tiny piece of plastic around the mechanism that was preventing it from springing up and down. I’m not sure where the plastic came from but it was there. When I took it in the door wouldn’t open again, so I’m feeling like these people won’t think I’m stupid and don’t know how to open my gas lid… I’m glad they found what the problem is/was… hopefully this fixes it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So I took it to the Kia dealership and guess what!?!?!

there was a tiny piece of plastic around the mechanism that was preventing it from springing up and down. I’m not sure where the plastic came from but it was there. When I took it in the door wouldn’t open again, so I’m feeling like these people won’t think I’m stupid and don’t know how to open my gas lid… I’m glad they found what the problem is/was… hopefully this fixes it.
Glad to hear that you had a good dealership experience!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same issue. Had to have the gas door changed out. The dealer told me that after I had mine done, 5 more cars came in within a month for the same issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
^^Is there a story behind your screen name?
I loved my Optima. I want to love my K5, but within 4 weeks of owning the car, the rear bumper fascia snapped in half and broke off. I believe it is because it wasn't bolted properly, and the dealer admitted that there was no damage to back end so I didn't hit anything. I had 900 miles on the car. They want me to pay $385 for the replacement. Then a week later, while driving, my front speakers went out but then came back about 15 minutes later. I am learning on this forum that this is because of the lane warning. WTH??? Then, 4 weeks later, the gas door won't open, had to bring in for 3 days to get that replaced. Two weeks later the air conditioning went kaput while driving from Savannah, GA to Chicago. FUN!!! The dealer said that the bolts and o-ring on the compressor weren't tightened so all the air leaked out. EXACTLY WHY I believe the fascia wasn't bolted down at factory and snapped. UVO never works for directions. It always says can't find route, no idea why, but then eventually finds it. Trying to speak to it, it's like you are speaking a foreign language. It never understands me or anyone else that tries. But, you can't key in an address in the nav while the car is not in park, which is ridiculous. My husband is driving and I am the passenger, but we have to pull over, put the car in park, just to enter an address manually. WTH??? Other cars just have you click to say you are the passenger.

So, while I love the feel of the car and the color (wolf grey with red leather interior), I regret trading in my Optima, at least until they figure all this [email protected] out!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts