Kia K5 Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT
105 Posts
I came from a 2012 Kia Optima SX to a 2021 K5 GT.
On my first night driving, I noticed the low beam lights seemed too low on the road in front of me, like they are angled too steep.
At highway speed, it can feel like you're are getting ahead of the lights.
They are brighter and whiter so that's awesome.
I'm going to have to check with measurements to see if they really are much lower or it's just a perception thing, but they seem lower than my Optima by a good bit.

The spot where the light gives a break to oncoming drivers was also done differently.
On the Optima the driver's side light was pointed lower for relief but the cutoff line was still level with the other light, a little less obnoxious.

Well, I too adjusted the lights(finding the U and D screws) and it did help by adjusting it up, but the "V" is still there.
If you are able to take pictures of where those adjustment screws are that would be really awesome. I haven't taken a close look myself but you could save me some time in the freezing cold. Otherwise, I'll be waiting till spring to look myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
130 Posts
You'll all, also notice from my posted photos in this thread that the dark spot of the v is still illuminated, just not as much. I still see reflective road markers in the pavement even when they are in the notch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone else noticed a v-shaped black/blind spot notch in the headlight pattern at night? I have GT-Line with the premium package so it has the three headlights per side. It’s very distracting and a little dangerous. It is on my drivers side. See attached picture. No issues with the high beam on.
I have had the same problem since day 1. It blocks quite a bit of the center view. And I'm not thrilled with the overall of the lights. I mostly use low beams and can barely see maybe 10-15 feet in front of me. So I run over all kinds of things because I can't see them in time. I even had it in the dealer shop yesterday and they told me the standard "they aren't adjustable". If it's not that my lights aren't set right, it is definitely a flaw they need to address in any future models. Very dissatisfied customer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same dark V on my GT Line premium package. I wondered if the headlights just need adjusted? We have to take ours to the dealer Tuesday to have them look at the paint where a sticker left residue on the gas door do I am asking them about it then.
Good luck. I had mine at a dealer yesterday and they told me "they aren't adjustable". Crock of ####

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
130 Posts
I have had the same problem since day 1. It blocks quite a bit of the center view. And I'm not thrilled with the overall of the lights. I mostly use low beams and can barely see maybe 10-15 feet in front of me. So I run over all kinds of things because I can't see them in time. I even had it in the dealer shop yesterday and they told me the standard "they aren't adjustable". If it's not that my lights aren't set right, it is definitely a flaw they need to address in any future models. Very dissatisfied customer.
They are adjustable up and down

·
Registered
125 Posts
A couple of tips for adjustment:

1. A 12mm open-end wrench will fit the 'half-bolt-head' on the end of the adjuster body. I find that easier to use than a phillips head screwdriver, and less apt to damage the adjuster.
2. For proper adjustment, the method I've used is to first measure the center of your low-beam headlight from a hard surface (garage floor, paved parking lot, etc.). Then mark that on a wall, all the way across, making sure to keep your mark level. Use a level or make sure both ends of your mark are at the proper height. My '23 GT comes in at about 26".

Then back away from the mark about 20-22" (about 1-1/4 car-lengths and shine you headlights on the wall. Your headlights should pretty well match the marks on the wall. If not, adjust them, keeping in mind the passenger side should be an inch or so higher than the driver's side.

An alternate way is to just shine your headlights on the wall, UP CLOSE to the wall, and mark where the top of the 'hot spot' hits on each side. Then back away to 20-22' and see where they now fall. Adjust if needed to get them to match what they were up close. Level ground, always.

The idea is that at a distance of 20-22' your headlight hot spots should be level with the center of the headlight itself.

I've found that this has worked well, and I don't get flashed or get the bird. ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just re-aimed mine using the above method and it made a HUGE difference. I drove for a while and no oncoming traffic flashed me, so I guess it's good. And, boy, do these cars have good headlights!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts