Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is very strange====I drove my 2021 K5 ex (22000 miles) into the garage Friday evening, unloaded some groceries from the trunk and closed the trunk. Next morning leaving for church the K5 is totally dead with a message on the display "Child safety lock failure".
I mean totally dead no lights, no power door locks, can't open the trunk with Botton or key, and the message has now gone away.
I then tested the battery {first making sure I still had a battery:)).it tested ok but I left the charger on all last night still fully charged and DEAD AS A DOORNAIL.
ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is very strange====I drove my 2021 K5 ex (22000 miles) into the garage Friday evening, unloaded some groceries from the trunk and closed the trunk. Next morning leaving for church the K5 is totally dead with a message on the display "Child safety lock failure".
I mean totally dead no lights, no power door locks, can't open the trunk with Botton or key, and the message has now gone away.
I then tested the battery {first making sure I still had a battery:)).it tested ok but I left the charger on all last night still fully charged and DEAD AS A DOORNAIL.
ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME.
UPDATE===I found the mechanical pull cable for opening the trunk, opened and verified that it was ok with nothing out of order. The cable is at the rear drivers side inside the door on the floor under a small plastic cover see page 4-33 of the owners manual.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Alan, batteries are funny things. You can have a dead cell and the battery will still be working to some extent. You could also have an internal short in the battery that could act kind of like this.

Is there any way you can attach a "jump box" or jumper cables and try starting the car?

The sudden death you describe almost has to be the battery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great comments Mike, I think you are correct it must be the battery. I was fishing around and found a 200 amp fuse inside the positive battery cover (surprise) I can't tell if its blown but it has a solder bubble in the
middle of the viewing window.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Definantly sounds like your battery has at least 1 dead cell. More than likely one of the plates broke lose and is shorting things out. Will still show battery having amperage, but will not necessarily show low voltage. With the cars now the electronics are very sensitive to wrong voltages and might just do exactly what you are describing. Remove the battery and take to the parts store and they can do a full diagnostic both Volts and amps and see.

·
Registered
247 Posts
"... found a 200 amp fuse inside the positive battery cover (surprise) I can't tell if its blown but it has a solder bubble in the middle of the viewing window. "

Yeah, that's probably the fusible link. If it were blown you'd know it, and you'd get zero power from the battery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"... found a 200 amp fuse inside the positive battery cover (surprise) I can't tell if its blown but it has a solder bubble in the middle of the viewing window. "

Yeah, that's probably the fusible link. If it were blown you'd know it, and you'd get zero power from the battery.
thanks Mike that must be it because the car is completely dead no power to any part of the car.
but that leaves me with another question what caused the 200 amp fuse to blow and when will it happen again?????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No totally stock. I tested with a voltmeter on the battery and only got 10.5 after charging all night. Also tested on the car side of the 200amp battery fuse and also got 10.5 so the fuse is good. Must be the battery.
ps I called Kia roadside assistance reported my problem and they wanted (are you sitting down) $450.00 credit card payment b/c they say my20 month old car is not covered. Guess what I told them to do with their assistance!!!!

·
Super Moderator
237 Posts
10.5 volts is very low. Did you have symptoms before the morning of the dead battery? When the car is running, did you check the battery to see if youre getting 14 volts? If its not 14 volts, your alternator is dying

·
Registered
247 Posts
10.5 volts is very low. Did you have symptoms before the morning of the dead battery? When the car is running, did you check the battery to see if youre getting 14 volts? If its not 14 volts, your alternator is dying
Well now, wait. It STILL could be - and I bet it is - just a bad battery. If the battery has an internal short or even a dead cell, the alternator can't charge it.

Take the battery out and go to an auto parts store. Most of them will test your battery and let you know if it's good or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No symptoms what so ever. Drove about 15 miles to mass and dinner. Them 15 miles home in the rain and dark. Everything worked perfectly thank God. Parked the the garage popped the trunk. Next morning dead.
And no I never checked the 14 volt output. Truth is the car is so perfect I have only opened the hood 2or 3 times.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Monday afternoon update—— After talking with my dealer Steve Landers Kia I called roadside assistance and in 45 minutes I had a jumpstart with an alternator check putting out 14.7.
then drove K5 to dealers where the car is being diagnosed and battery replaced. All at no charge. More later.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ps I called Kia roadside assistance reported my problem and they wanted (are you sitting down) $450.00 credit card payment b/c they say my20 month old car is not covered. Guess what I told them to do with their assistance!!!!
Monday afternoon update—— After talking with my dealer Steve Landers Kia I called roadside assistance and in 45 minutes I had a jumpstart with an alternator check putting out 14.7.
then drove K5 to dealers where the car is being diagnosed and battery replaced. All at no charge. More later.
I was going to say, what happened to the 5 & 10 year warranties?? That's jacked the first time call was $450!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was going to say, what happened to the 5 & 10 year warranties?? That's jacked the first time call was $450!!!
Final update first I want the thank all the forum members who offer their thoughtful input to my dilemma you were terrific and to the 150 is so following thanks for the moral support.
To the fellow from Kia roadside assistance thank you,to my new customer service liaison Sam a huge thanks for cutting through the red tape and the service people who replaced the battery and ran diagnostic from bumper to bumper.
All work and roadside was done under the Kia warranty service.
I also received an apology for the attempt to squeeze$450.00 from by cold fingers.
just for the record after all thetesting and battery swap the car is running better ever. I got 49 mpg on the way home 35 miles in normal drive mode with the ac on low. Amazing. Thanks again to all. Alan

·
Registered
392 Posts
Damn, get a top AAA membership, 2you would be charged at most the cost of a new battery. Has something similar happen several years ago. the new battery cost me 45 buck. The annual membership is 118.00 and a whole lot more benes than just that. For example if my car breaks down, I will get a free tow for up to 250 miles

·
Registered
10 Posts
ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME.
Your car is still in warranty, and emergency road service is included. Just call your dealer and ask that they come fix it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts