Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently damaged the plastic chrome trim piece above the window on the driver side, and so I've purchased an overpriced replacement piece from my local dealership. On Youtube I've found a video on how to replace that similar piece on a Telluride, but it's apparent to me that it's not mounted the exact same way on the K5. FYI, on the new piece there are plastic clips on the ends and double sided tape running the length. I'd be grateful if anyone could give me some guidance or tricks on removing the old part, including the best tools to use. It's understood that I will totally damage the old part....I just don't want to damage the door or paint. Many thanks!

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
33 Posts
Look at the new one you got and take the old one off according to how that one will go on. Usually those clips on those are 1 time use clips so don’t be alarmed if they break.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at the new one you got and take the old one off according to how that one will go on. Usually those clips on those are 1 time use clips so don’t be alarmed if they break.
I think I'd feel more confident if someone would post a picture of the proper plastic tool to use to unclip the piece. And do I start at the top or the front/bottom of the piece? I think the starting point does make a difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I'd feel more confident if someone would post a picture of the proper plastic tool to use to unclip the piece. And do I start at the top or the front/bottom of the piece? I think the starting point does make a difference.
This is similar to what most of my body techs use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is similar to what most of my body techs use.
Thanks. That's a good looking set of tools!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, I've completed the chrome strip "swap" with the help of my young son (23), who's been doing a lot of this type of thing with his 89 Volvo 242 "brick." I'm glad to report that it went well. I can offer this information:

The black trim that runs along the door at the base of the window must be removed. It wasn't terribly difficult. You must start on the rear side of the door and pry it up as you move frontward. Once removed, that gives access to the hidden section of the door -- right in front of the side mirror -- where the chrome strip snaps into place. Since we had two people working on this, as we worked backward (toward the rear of the car), I removed the double-sided tape as my son pressed the plastic chrome strip into place. (We probably could have removed all the tape at once, but we were trying to be cautious.) Finally, at the back top corner of the door, the chrome strip has a plastic prong/tab that snaps into place. Once in place, we put back the black plastic trim piece that runs at the base of the window and behind the mirror, working from front to back. I wouldn't have believed it beforehand, but we did not use any prying tools at all. And, yes, the old chrome strip, which was damaged anyway, was totally destroyed. Hope this info helps the next guy.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Nicely done. What you did with peeling the backing tape as you applied pressure is the best method. This way, you can line up the piece and readjust if needed. Then peel and press as you secure it on the car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts