Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line Wolf Grey
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hit a goddam woods rat on my way to work. At least the bastard died. Car was still drivable. Got it home then to the body shop. Initial estimate from Geico was $6500 but that will go up since they weren’t able to open the hood yet. It will need to be cut off. I’m guessing in the $9k range once it’s all done. Don’t get me wrong, I love my K5 but these cars are full of so much thin and flimsy plastic that they basically explode and shatter when u hit anything. I noticed awhile back how flimsy all the trim and body panels are when I was hand waxing the car. These cars are literally held together by cheap plastic clips but so are most modern cars. I’ll post a detailed copy of the estimate once I get the final. For now I figure to be without the car for at least a month. The auto body shop I’m using uses only OEM parts and said it could take up to 6 weeks because of the shipping and port delays.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line
40 Posts
Oh NO!!! That is my worst nightmare. I leave for work at 3am and there are deer ALL OVER where I live (Lower Bucks County, PA). Holy hell that is expensive as well. Good luck man, keep us posted!

·
Registered
2021,KIA,K5,GT
12 Posts
Aww that sucks bad! Sorry that happened.. Little over a month ago a lady backed into me on private property with no insurance! Couldn’t believe the damage she caused.. It’s taking forever to get fixed cause parts availability is what they’re telling me

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
738 Posts
Ouch man! Really hurts seeing that damage happen to your car, or anyone's for that matter. I hope they'll give you a good price quoted when they get all the parts and labor calculated.

I do agree with you about the flimsy panels and all, but yeah modern cars now are designed to crumple like paper in even the lightest of crashes in order to absorb the energy and keep the driver safe. Definitely not just Kia doing this.

·
Registered
205 Posts
View attachment 1762 View attachment 1763 View attachment 1764
Hit a goddam woods rat on my way to work. At least the bastard died. Car was still drivable. Got it home then to the body shop. Initial estimate from Geico was $6500 but that will go up since they weren’t able to open the hood yet. It will need to be cut off. I’m guessing in the $9k range once it’s all done. Don’t get me wrong, I love my K5 but these cars are full of so much thin and flimsy plastic that they basically explode and shatter when u hit anything. I noticed awhile back how flimsy all the trim and body panels are when I was hand waxing the car. These cars are literally held together by cheap plastic clips but so are most modern cars. I’ll post a detailed copy of the estimate once I get the final. For now I figure to be without the car for at least a month. The auto body shop I’m using uses only OEM parts and said it could take up to 6 weeks because of the shipping and port delays.
Man that sucks... So sorry

·
Registered
91 Posts
At least you walked away from it.

Cars today are designed to crumple vs transmitting that shock to the passenger. So in that regard it did what it was designed to do. I do however agree the panels are paper thin. Seeing the fender edges under the hood confirms that. Fenders in my old G37 were much thicker (compared to my 22 stinger). In fact the whole car seemed more robust/heavier duty. I haven't looked at a new infiniti recently but wouldn't surprise me if they too use paper thin panels.

Did you load up the roadkill to make steaks?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah. The cop and I dragged it to the side of the road. Was too pissed to think about that. I’m actually surprised the airbag didn’t blow.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
738 Posts
I'm also amazed that the windshield had no damage to it either. I guess it was a low enough impact to be able to escape that.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5
5 Posts
Ugh man! Sucks to see this. All that really matters is you didn’t get hurt. Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
View attachment 1762 View attachment 1763 View attachment 1764
Daaaahm

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update and a word of advice…..don’t hit anything with your K5. My car is STILL at the body shop. Parts availability issues are a huge problem right now with all car makers, Kia in particular. My body shop is still waiting for a few more parts. A few of them Kia can’t even give them an approximate date on. The guy at the shop told me they waited 5 weeks for a door for a Telluride. Once all my parts finally come in they have about a week of reassembly and painting to do. Final bill is just over $11k. Yes that’s $11 THOUSAND. Thankfully I only have a $50 deductible. I’m sure Geico will drop me after this one.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
738 Posts
Yeah, the shipping issue over on the West Coast is kinda ridiculous atm. Read an article saying ships are waiting to dock at LA and Long Beach for as long as 3 weeks. Coupled with a full container lot and not enough truck drivers to transport them out... Yeah, it's gonna be pretty bad for quite a while longer. 🙁

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why would they drop you on a comp claim? Do you have many claims in a short period of time?
This is my second big claim in less than a year. Hit a deer last winter with an Elantra that they ended up totaling. That one cost them a lil over $9k. Animal strikes all go under your comprehensive policy so they are technically not chargeable accidents but they don’t need any good reason to drop you other than you are not profitable to them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I hear you.

This was last fall, coming around a bend on a 4 lane divided highway (2 lanes/direction). Doing a lane change as the guy in front was going slow. This b!tch decides to cross the road. Mind you, i'm doing at least 55 mph.

Sky Plant Car Vehicle Wheel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts