Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finding out the reason why my car doesn't have the satellite feature. I have decided my next car will not be a KIA. I have owned a 2018 Optima that had satellite radio. That is all I listen to. I upgraded to the K5. At least I thought it was an upgrade. Found out after the fact my car doesn't have that option. I don't like android Auto either. So it's time for me to be moving on to a different manufacturer.

Things I noticed From the Optima to the K5. The rear backup camera placement. The camera on the k5 gets dirty and needs to be cleaned off more often. Or it seems the camera is not the same quality as the one on my Optima. The rear window defroster is not as quick or as powerful as the one on my optima. These are minor complaints. But very noticeable when comparing.

Finally. Both Models . This is extremely annoying. No rain gutters at all. So if its raining and you want to have window cracked for fresh air etc. The wipers push the rain up and it all runs into the driver side door. If you rest ur arm on the door. It gets soaked. The door panel-buttons all get soaked.

Yes These may all seem minor. But maybe in the future this could be addressed?

·
Registered
212 Posts
There's a bit to unpack here. First question is on the sirius. Was there clear discussion with the dealership that satellite radio was a 'must have' for deal?

If yes then the car was misrepresented and you probably have recourse to return it for a K5 with the 10.5 screen that has satellite radio. Worst case the dealership should be able to help or give advice for how you can install sirius on your current car. Honestly, I wasn't happy with the sirius trial. There were channels I wanted to listen to that the KIA software wouldn't recognize, and I did not want to bother with the sirius app.

I agree on the rear camera. It is just the way the car is designed, all the water and dirt goes to the back. Unless they drastically change the body style that is just the way it is going to be.

Look through the forum and you will see many have installed window shades so they can crack windows. There are many types, you just need to pick the best for you.

Mechanically and performance wise KIA still markets some of the best if not the best options. The things you are describing are annoyances, true; however when you evaluate the car holistically it is hard to beat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made the mistake of not asking about the radio. I figured since my Optima had it. And this is a new better model. That it would of came with it standard. The explanation I got is why I'm going to move away from KIA. I was told they want you to buy the more expensive model. in order to get satellite radio. I think removing a simple feature like this is pretty low to get you to spend more money on a car. Just My .02

·
Registered
212 Posts
You may just want to sell it right now and get into another car. If you look at other forums and on FB there are people all over the place selling their K5s to carmax, carvanna, etc at or above their original financed amount.

Do your research and make the best choice for you. It may be best to move out now while the car market is hot, before you put more miles on the car, and you can get your money back and go get what you want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If the biggest downside is the lack of Sirius but you like your car, you can install the Commander Touch to give you SiriusXM capability on any radio that doesn't already have it.
Great idea. Or how about using the Sirius XM app through Android Auto? Sirius XM is moving towards being a web based platform and satellite might not even be active 10 years from now with 5G.

·
Registered
'22 GT-Line AWD
71 Posts
Great idea. Or how about using the Sirius XM app through Android Auto? Sirius XM is moving towards being a web based platform and satellite might not even be active 10 years from now with 5G.
Totally didn't think about that...the smaller head unit has wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play. That makes a lot more sense to stream Sirius that way since it's over Wi-Fi and not Bluetooth, the audio quality should be a lot better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IDK? I generally like the car. For the price it has the same features as a coworkers Mercedes. That is kind of funny considering I paid much less than him. I like the looks/Style. If they would of left the badging off the car. I'm pretty sure nobody would of guessed it's a Kia. Its a classy car. IMO. I think I will look into the shades to keep the rain out. And I will driver it until it's paid off or until I'm ready to move on. Then I'm pretty sure I will move on to a different car company. I'm just frustrated right now.so who knows ..

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
It's just weird that there's no way to enable SiriusXM on existing K5s without them, even if they use the same head unit and antenna.

I got the AWD model and it comes standard with its own "Premium" Package. Other than a few winter-based creature comforts like heated steering wheel, heated seats, and Snow mode, it still had the same 8.5" screen with both wireless AA/AC and SiriusXM service. Doesn't make sense to make owners to buy additional hardware for SiriusXM if the car already has the hardware for it.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
669 Posts
It's just weird that there's no way to enable SiriusXM on existing K5s without them, even if they use the same head unit and antenna.

I got the AWD model and it comes standard with its own "Premium" Package. Other than a few winter-based creature comforts like heated steering wheel, heated seats, and Snow mode, it still had the same 8.5" screen with both wireless AA/AC and SiriusXM service. Doesn't make sense to make owners to buy additional hardware for SiriusXM if the car already has the hardware for it.
Maybe in developer mode?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I made the mistake of not asking about the radio. I figured since my Optima had it. And this is a new better model. That it would of came with it standard. The explanation I got is why I'm going to move away from KIA. I was told they want you to buy the more expensive model. in order to get satellite radio. I think removing a simple feature like this is pretty low to get you to spend more money on a car. Just My .02
Kia K5 must have navigation feature in order to have the satellite radio feature which I believe is an extra $1,800 and would more than likely be installed in either a GT-Line or EX. I know people will trade there cars just because this feature doesn't exist and go elsewhere; but I would maybe re-think and ask these kind of questions during the car search process to eliminate the surprises after you take the car home.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
Oops, apparently I posted this in the wrong thread. lol I meant to post this pic here.
Font Technology Screenshot Display device Multimedia

I was just wondering that, if you are able to get into Engineering mode, if you are able to see what SW and HW versions it says for you if it shows anything at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After finding out the reason why my car doesn't have the satellite feature. I have decided my next car will not be a KIA. I have owned a 2018 Optima that had satellite radio. That is all I listen to. I upgraded to the K5. At least I thought it was an upgrade. Found out after the fact my car doesn't have that option. I don't like android Auto either. So it's time for me to be moving on to a different manufacturer.

Things I noticed From the Optima to the K5. The rear backup camera placement. The camera on the k5 gets dirty and needs to be cleaned off more often. Or it seems the camera is not the same quality as the one on my Optima. The rear window defroster is not as quick or as powerful as the one on my optima. These are minor complaints. But very noticeable when comparing.

Finally. Both Models . This is extremely annoying. No rain gutters at all. So if its raining and you want to have window cracked for fresh air etc. The wipers push the rain up and it all runs into the driver side door. If you rest ur arm on the door. It gets soaked. The door panel-buttons all get soaked.

I thought it came with a satellite radio option. Mine did.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have fun finding another car that actually has rain gutters, I haven't seen a car with them since the mid-90's. If that's the reason you wont be buying another Kia you might want to consider not buying another car period.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
197 Posts
After finding out the reason why my car doesn't have the satellite feature. I have decided my next car will not be a KIA.
Would that reason be that you made an assumption? Seems like the problem is between the drivers seat and the steering wheel. Unless the dealer told you it had it, which would make it at least partially their fault. Isn't there a sticker on the drivers side window if the car has XM radio?

·
Registered
6 Posts

I listen to Sirius with the app through Android auto or with bluetooth. Using the app you get more channels than available through satellite.

·
Registered
5 Posts

if you do a check, you'll see that few newer cars have rain gutters.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts