Kia K5 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,080 Posts
The coloration like that on those metal pieces are normal heat wear. Just so long as it's not dark and rough, and have signs of rust stains from liquid run-offs.

As for the instrument lights, those lights usually come on when the car is on but the engine is off so it's hard to say if any of those are an indication of anything. Do any of the lights blink or stay on after you restart the engine?

Also, was there any other lights or indicators coming on before or after the incidents? Noticed anything abnormal with the car just before it shut off?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's actually really rough. The car is brand new I don't understand why it would have any signs of wear already. The lights come on at undxp times. They came on twice while in DRIVE so I was stuck in the middle of the intersection, another time I was stuck at the traffic light and numerous of other times they illuminated as soon as I put the car in PARK. That's when the car shuts off by itself. Before it shuts off you cam feel the whole car just like die. As if there's is just no power whatsoever.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,080 Posts
Double check and see if the oil level is still good after you had topped it off just to make sure the oil leaking issue didn't come back or anything. The other issue sounds like there might be something wrong electrically, either with the battery or the system. Won't exactly know for sure until a deeper diagnosis is performed.

Either way, do your best to document what is going on just before, during, and after it happens. Note anything that seems unusual before the cutoff like the oil and battery lights as you said, abnormal engine noises, and if there was any kind of shaking or other stuff coming from the car just before and after the engine cuts off.

Hopefully once you finally get a hold of someone to help you with the issues, that knowing all of that can help pinpoint what's going on and promptly find a solution it afterwards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you so much for all your advice! Appreciate it. My engine oil level was full the first few times this occurred. Now after the first major leak I had i was told it was a blown head gasket(which I don't believe) and they topped off all my fluids again supposedly and did my oil and filter change. As of last week I noticed a different kind of fluid leaking out just alot slower and I believe this time it's my oil. I now have to keep adding in oil myself because the service manager said he doesn't want to service my car or top off any of fluids. He won't even acknowledge any issues I am bringing to his attention. 2 diagnostics test have already been done and the manufacturer wanted a flight recorder put on the car so they can duplicate the issue. Of course the service manager doesn't want to do it and the manufacturer is now saying there isnt anything they can do. So now I'm stuck wondering what I do from here. Everything is documented. Emails , service forms, reports, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Guys. Even after my engine replacement, my problem persists. In a warmed up car, as I pull up in the driveway, put the car in park, turn the AC off, my RPMs still go out of control. Just yesterday my car shut off from the hesitation of keeping itself alive. It’s almost as though the AC turning off Shocks the system somehow, but especially in the combination of putting the car in park. If I turn off the AC in drive, this does not happen. What is going on guys?? Does putting the car in park create a magic situation where I can’t turn off the AC shortly after?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guys. Even after my engine replacement, my problem persists. In a warmed up car, as I pull up in the driveway, put the car in park, turn the AC off, my RPMs still go out of control. Just yesterday my car shut off from the hesitation of keeping itself alive. It’s almost as though the AC turning off Shocks the system somehow, but especially in the combination of putting the car in park. If I turn off the AC in drive, this does not happen. What is going on guys?? Does putting the car in park create a magic situation where I can’t turn off the AC shortly after?
Also having the same issue! My car has shut off multiple times after putting it in park then turning off the A/C. The car for some reason can't keep its power once the A/C is off. I have a video of how bad the RPM Fluctuates right before it loses all power and just dies out on me. Brought it to the dealers attention and basically dismissed me. So I called the manufacturer and brought it to their attention and they are sending me to another dealership in another city to have another test done on my car. I will update you on July 2nd if/when I find out some information.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,080 Posts
Seems like this might be in all apparent models. I tested it out and RPM seems to fluctuate only when the A/C is off. I usually leave in Auto as no A/C in a car in Florida is a killer so I didn't know this would happen... lol

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,080 Posts
Just an update, I found that the RPM fluctuations only happens when you have the A/C set on Med to High. If you set it to Low, the RPM fluctuates a bit but stabilizes after a few secs. I'm guessing that the idle RPM is higher for the Med and High settings and so when you turn it off, the difference between the A/C on and off kind of throws it off for some reason. Setting the A/C to Low more closely matches the idle RPM when it is off so the fluctuation easier to stabilize.

If any of you are still in touch with them, you can relay all that to them so they know how to repeat the issue on their end.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I honestly haven't been able to hit the rated 24 mpg for city and I drove it for almost 2700 miles now. I rarely drive on the highway for extended periods and my drive is usually 15-20 mins on normal city streets. I drive pretty conservatively too, and try to get the blue Smart mode to stay on. I do note that it gets better mpg once you hit a steady 50-60 mph range. It may be because it's been humid and blistering hot outside too. lol Stuffs up the air pretty good.
I now have 452 miles on my 2021 K5 EX. My driving consist of 100% city driving. I am averaging 24.8 to 25.0 MPG

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,080 Posts
I now have 452 miles on my 2021 K5 EX. My driving consist of 100% city driving. I am averaging 24.8 to 25.0 MPG
After driving in Normal mode, I hit 22 MPG on average and reads 406 miles on a full tank of gas. It may be also because of the AWD system as well. But even then, it was rated at 26 MPG for city and 29 combined. I feel like I'm missing something here... 🤔 Perhap I'm just not making long enough trips for the MPG.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Newest update since July 2nd ... service department out in Moreno Valley (another city) advised me that I had a lose drain plug (which made no sense because I was told by the service manager at my local dealership that he had repaired that along with the blown head gasket) and I also am MISSING PARTS underneath my car along with alot of its hardware (screws, clips, etc.) They didn't fix it there because I would have to pay out of pocket for the entire repair. I contacted the manufacturer right away and my case manager has followed up, hasn't returned any of my calls, it now goes straight to voicemail, not not her supervisor has returned my call after leaving multiple messages. I became so fed up I decided to hire me a lawyer and I am currently getting started on a lawsuit. I didn't want to take this route but I was left left no other choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
these are the lights that come off right after my car suddenly shuts off out of nowhere. It's even done it while I was driving and I was stuck in the middle of an intersection.
View attachment 1033
My son's car started doing this a few days ago, it's in the shop now but they haven't figured out why it's doing that. The same exact lights come on after he takes off his AC unit and then the car stops on it's own and these lights light up on the dash. Any clue to what is causing this to happen?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My son's car started doing this a few days ago, it's in the shop now but they haven't figured out why it's doing that. The same exact lights come on after he takes off his AC unit and then the car stops on it's own and these lights light up on the dash. Any clue to what is causing this to happen?
So glad I am not the only one experiencing this issue. Dealership made had me second guessing myself and laughed at me like if I didn't know what I was talking about. Still haven't figured out the issue but I decided to hire myself a lawyer and currently have a lawsuit going.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Folks I think I just made an important discovery into this diagnosis!
it seems like the fan speed can really cause the engine to turn off.
steps:
1. Drive with ac on but fan speed on the lowest possible setting.
2. Place car in park, and turn off the AC system.
3. Car turns off more often than not.

I can’t seem to trigger this to happen every time, you can also try to idle in park with The lowest possible speed, in my case RPM’s jump around from time to time. Let me know what you find!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So glad I am not the only one experiencing this issue. Dealership made had me second guessing myself and laughed at me like if I didn't know what I was talking about. Still haven't figured out the issue but I decided to hire myself a lawyer and currently have a lawsuit going.
Just started having this issue as well on my 2022 Kia K5 GT-Line. Just noticed it day before yesterday, never ran with the AC off until it started getting a little cooler lately. Located in southeast. Opened a case with Kia Corporate. Also my paint has started to peel off in random spots. Car is only 3 months old. :/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just started having this issue as well on my 2022 Kia K5 GT-Line. Just noticed it day before yesterday, never ran with the AC off until it started getting a little cooler lately. Located in southeast. Opened a case with Kia Corporate. Also my paint has started to peel off in random spots. Car is only 3 months old. :/
MY PAINT AS WELL!! It's chipping off alot on the front end. I've had my car for only 6 months. But my problems started arising 5 days after I bought the car.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts