Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks find insuring this vehicle costs more than the sonata equivalent? Numbers below are for 6 months of coverage.

In my case, a sonata N line was $485, vs $540 for the k5 gt through geico.

My current car - 15 accord exl, $375. An acura rdx I was considering was $382. These numbers make little sense.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Folks find insuring this vehicle costs more than the sonata equivalent? Numbers below are for 6 months of coverage.

My current car - 15 accord exl, $375. An acura rdx I was considering was $382. These numbers make little sense.
I live in New York and my old insurance for a 2019 Kia EX with the premium package was $305, for my new 2021 Kia K5 EX with the premium package it now coat me $337. These rates are for 6 months.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking closely at the dec page and the new car line items, liability cost is roughly the same.

The biggest differences are in the comp/collision coverage's. I suppose that makes sense, newer car, more costly to repair. Still doesn't explain why the rdx was so cheap. FWIW, I do see many more optimas/sonatas on the road than rdx's. Maybe because the rdx is a higher cost vehicle, it's expected to be driven more carefully than a cheaper one ¿?...

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT-Line
37 Posts
Looking closely at the dec page and the new car line items, liability cost is roughly the same.

The biggest differences are in the comp/collision coverage's. I suppose that makes sense, newer car, more costly to repair. Still doesn't explain why the rdx was so cheap. FWIW, I do see many more optimas/sonatas on the road than rdx's. Maybe because the rdx is a higher cost vehicle, it's expected to be driven more carefully than a cheaper one ¿?...
Where are you located?
When i talked to my insurance company when i added my car to my policy they said newer cars are more expensive because even though they have all these electronics for safety, etc., it is exactly this reason it is more expensive. Repairs are way more costly due to all the electronics.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
187 Posts
The cost was like $28 more (for 6 months) when I traded in my 2016 Optima EX for my 2021 K5 GT-Line AWD.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
187 Posts
Insurance is the biggest scam. Call your agent and tell him you're switching insurance companies and suddenly they can give you a cheaper rate. Almost as bad as the damn cable company. That is if you haven't filed a claim in the past 7 years, and haven't had any moving violations.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT-Line
37 Posts
Yeah shopping around is def a good idea. I have a broker who is contracted with multiple companies, so basically he does the shopping for me. If anyone in Southern California (Los Angeles) area needs a referral send me a message, Id be more than happy to give out his contact info (dont want to post here cuz its prolly against forum rules).

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line FWD
46 Posts
I got some discount for being an accident free, low mileage [7,000], and home insurance combo.. so my bill comes out to be $91 monthly for a 2021 K5 GT-Line FWD White.

I live in AZ.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Insurance is the biggest scam. Call your agent and tell him you're switching insurance companies and suddenly they can give you a cheaper rate. Almost as bad as the damn cable company. That is if you haven't filed a claim in the past 7 years, and haven't had any moving violations.
You are are so so right!

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line Wolf Grey
54 Posts
Ha. I wish I had some of the rates some of you complain about. I’m in NJ. Highest auto insurance rates in the country. Can’t wait to get out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ha. I wish I had some of the rates some of you complain about. I’m in NJ. Highest auto insurance rates in the country. Can’t wait to get out.
That is what I hear, and what I have seen of NJ drivers, I can see why. Don't come to NY though, unless you want to be TAXED to death.:eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts

Why is everyone's insurance so high? lol. I feel like my insurer made a mistake or something.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^Folks with poor driving abilities buying these cars? I think the acura has just as much tech if not more so than the k5 but was much cheaper to insure. It is a somewhat more costlier car to begin with, so the typical buyer may be a more careful driver¿?

·
Registered
Wolf Grey K5 GT-Line, Magnetic Black 370z
49 Posts
Mine's around $350 every 6 months, but I'm through progressive. Full coverage obviously

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
85 Posts
This car had me so confused, as my old insurance through USAA was quoting me 137 a month for the new GT Line AWD, and Progressive quoted me 55 a month with higher coverage amounts. I took the latter of the two options

1 - 20 of 34 Posts