Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I figured we could create this thread to list any type of known issues with the K5, and possible fixes/solutions.

I have a short list of bugs/issues that really got to me in the 6 months I've owned me GT-Line

1) Steering wheel rub, Steering wheel rubs when turning it. I thought nothing was going on with it, in fact the dealership realized it. Come to find out a bushing in the steering column was no good, so they replaced the entire column under warranty.

2) Glass issues, Windishield created a stress crack within 4 weeks of it. Kia tried to have me put it through insurance, but my insurance wouldn't cover it, and I wasn't going to pay for it. Kia insisted I paid for it even though there was no evidence of impact on the windshield and it clearly was a stress fracture which was created along my passenger side pillar and spread all the way across the windshield. This was a 2 month fight for me, but once I called corporate, sales ate the $1,100 price tag and replaced it as a warranty issue

3) Wind Noises, from what I hear anyone with a sunroof is hearing some pretty loud wind issues and there is no fix for it

4) Road Noise, I noticed more road noise than normal, kia has no suggestions to correct it aside from replacing my tires with a softer compounded rubber, no thanks lol

5) Paint issues, my fender has developed a rust spot right where it hits the headlight. No visible damage, the paint completely chipped off, currently the kia dealership went from "yeah we will definitely cover that" to "We need to wait to hear from corporate"...it's been a week. I'll update as I get more information.

6) Transmission issues, not really an "issue" but i noticed there is a serious delay with the AT when in normal mode with shifting between gears, to the point the car revs high as hell, the only fix Kia told me with this is to put it in sport mode and leave it in that for now on - One thing I noticed is when I take it out of AT and put it in techtronic, I can shift the car as needed. There is still a delay but it is a fraction of a second and once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to comfortably shift the car.

7) My girlfriend just noticed today that her button on her door doesn't work to unlock the car when pressed, but the fob works fine, I need to look into this to try to find a correction/resolution, has anyone else had this problem?

So here is the start of the thread lol if we have a valid resolution please comment below it as resolved along with the resolution. Has anyone else had any of these issues, and has anyone noticed any other problems?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, good idea, following, should be a pinned thread! -- John
Thanks, I emailed the admin but they haven't been see on the forum in 15 days. So hopefully it will get pinned. If not I suppose I could always just try to bump it every now and then.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the EX and I've not had any of these problems. Owned it since August, so a little over 7mos, with just under 4K miles. The wind noise seems to be a rather common complaint, but I've not noticed that either.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
597 Posts
I haven't noticed any wind noise on mine either. I do however hear some clicking coming from what I think sounds like a mount(doubtful) or normal dct characteristics. Shifts well with no sound at all. It's just at low speeds or when I'm coming to a stop I notice some very low click. No jerking or anything. Just seamless shifting.

·
Registered
2021 KIA K5
3 Posts
So I figured we could create this thread to list any type of known issues with the K5, and possible fixes/solutions.

I have a short list of bugs/issues that really got to me in the 6 months I've owned me GT-Line

1) Steering wheel rub, Steering wheel rubs when turning it. I thought nothing was going on with it, in fact the dealership realized it. Come to find out a bushing in the steering column was no good, so they replaced the entire column under warranty.

2) Glass issues, Windishield created a stress crack within 4 weeks of it. Kia tried to have me put it through insurance, but my insurance wouldn't cover it, and I wasn't going to pay for it. Kia insisted I paid for it even though there was no evidence of impact on the windshield and it clearly was a stress fracture which was created along my passenger side pillar and spread all the way across the windshield. This was a 2 month fight for me, but once I called corporate, sales ate the $1,100 price tag and replaced it as a warranty issue

3) Wind Noises, from what I hear anyone with a sunroof is hearing some pretty loud wind issues and there is no fix for it

4) Road Noise, I noticed more road noise than normal, kia has no suggestions to correct it aside from replacing my tires with a softer compounded rubber, no thanks lol

5) Paint issues, my fender has developed a rust spot right where it hits the headlight. No visible damage, the paint completely chipped off, currently the kia dealership went from "yeah we will definitely cover that" to "We need to wait to hear from corporate"...it's been a week. I'll update as I get more information.

6) Transmission issues, not really an "issue" but i noticed there is a serious delay with the AT when in normal mode with shifting between gears, to the point the car revs high as hell, the only fix Kia told me with this is to put it in sport mode and leave it in that for now on - One thing I noticed is when I take it out of AT and put it in techtronic, I can shift the car as needed. There is still a delay but it is a fraction of a second and once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to comfortably shift the car.

7) My girlfriend just noticed today that her button on her door doesn't work to unlock the car when pressed, but the fob works fine, I need to look into this to try to find a correction/resolution, has anyone else had this problem?

So here is the start of the thread lol if we have a valid resolution please comment below it as resolved along with the resolution. Has anyone else had any of these issues, and has anyone noticed any other problems?
I have another annoying issue ... a knocking or fake Turbo noise coming from the Engine ....

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have been having issues with my Cruise Control, Emergency Braking, and Head on assist (not sure of the names to be exact). It comes and goes mensing it'll disable and enable at random times. I even restarted the infotainment system but it didn't make a difference. Has anyone had an issue like this if so please give me some suggestions. I have also disconnected the battery and reconnected it no difference.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been having issues with my Cruise Control, Emergency Braking, and Head on assist (not sure of the names to be exact). It comes and goes mensing it'll disable and enable at random times. I even restarted the infotainment system but it didn't make a difference. Has anyone had an issue like this if so please give me some suggestions. I have also disconnected the battery and reconnected it no difference.
I haven't but I'd bring it to the dealership before your electrical and technology warranty expires

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I found the wind noise an issue but I generally find that it's the drivers window, it goes away when I crack the window very slightly. I need to call service to see if there isn't an adjustment on windows travel.

Yesterday when driving I had a weird issue in that I was accelerating, passing a car and the forward collision warning came on and changing something on the radio. The alert muted the audio but it didn't unmute for several miles until I was getting off the highway and crossed a white line entering the off ramp, then the audio came back normally. Super odd. I'm going to say it was just a perfect storm of coincidences.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my K5 on March 17th. On March 20th, I got a crack in the windshield. I replaced the windshield through my insurance on April 16th. Less than a month later, my windshield cracked again. WTF! This will make the second windshield that I have had to replace in 2 months of owning the car. I had my Hyundai for six years and never encountered this problem! There has to be some defect with these windshields. Are they prone to cracks? I want to trade it in now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, wondering if any one has had issues with steering wheel shaking when stopping? Brought my car in and have had it only 4 1/2 months, they said the rotors are all warped, the tires are all uneven, and the alignment is off because of it. They will resurface the rotor but not replace them. They should not of warped like that. Any suggestions? I have not heard yet what they may do with the tires, but they are all bad because of the warped rotors.
We have the loud wind type noise also, and the dealer had said the same thing, nothing they can do about it.
If any suggestions let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello, wondering if any one has had issues with steering wheel shaking when stopping? Brought my car in and have had it only 4 1/2 months, they said the rotors are all warped, the tires are all uneven, and the alignment is off because of it. They will resurface the rotor but not replace them. They should not of warped like that. Any suggestions? I have not heard yet what they may do with the tires, but they are all bad because of the warped rotors.
We have the loud wind type noise also, and the dealer had said the same thing, nothing they can do about it.
If any suggestions let me know. Thanks
Do you have vented rotors? If not you may want to replace them with those. I have driven my car pretty hard...including on a race track with no mods and my rotors are still fine. The only thing I could think of is defective rotors. I also never heard of tires being unbalanced due to rotors being warped but I suppose if you think about it, it's possible.

As for the wind noise, yes the car is known for more wind noise than expected and there is nothing that can be done with it. You get used to it though. I've had my car since August, and have noticed plenty of problems which is why I made this thread...and asked the admin to pin it lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I purchased my K5 on March 17th. On March 20th, I got a crack in the windshield. I replaced the windshield through my insurance on April 16th. Less than a month later, my windshield cracked again. WTF! This will make the second windshield that I have had to replace in 2 months of owning the car. I had my Hyundai for six years and never encountered this problem! There has to be some defect with these windshields. Are they prone to cracks? I want to trade it in now!
My windshield had a stress crack which I was able to have the dealership replace, with that being said only a few months later, my glass is all pitted. I don't think it's a dealership/kia issue I think its a quality issue with ALL windshields. They don't make them up to par anymore and use softer quality glass. My insurance doesn't cover glass, so if I have to pay im screwed because it's about $1,000 to replace the windshield...and I have 2 K5s 🙄

If the cracks oocur from the top, bottom or sides, you can fight with the dealership to replace it at cost. If you have no damage where the crack starts, you can say it's a stress fracture. I've posted photos of the crack I had on mine, if you search through my posts from the start, if yours is cracking like that it's a stress crack and a design flaw with the vehicle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I found the wind noise an issue but I generally find that it's the drivers window, it goes away when I crack the window very slightly. I need to call service to see if there isn't an adjustment on windows travel.

Yesterday when driving I had a weird issue in that I was accelerating, passing a car and the forward collision warning came on and changing something on the radio. The alert muted the audio but it didn't unmute for several miles until I was getting off the highway and crossed a white line entering the off ramp, then the audio came back normally. Super odd. I'm going to say it was just a perfect storm of coincidences.
I had this same issue where when an alert happens (either forward collision or lane departure) it lowers the volume on the radio and it gets "stuck" lowered. Easiest way to fix it is make an alert go off lol glide over or close to the line quick and it goes back to normal. Or there is a setting that you can select in the menu that doesn't lower radio sound when an alert goes off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have vented rotors? If not you may want to replace them with those. I have driven my car pretty hard...including on a race track with no mods and my rotors are still fine. The only thing I could think of is defective rotors. I also never heard of tires being unbalanced due to rotors being warped but I suppose if you think about it, it's possible.

As for the wind noise, yes the car is known for more wind noise than expected and there is nothing that can be done with it. You get used to it though. I've had my car since August, and have noticed plenty of problems which is why I made this thread...and asked the admin to pin it lol
Thank you for the reply, yes I agree on the rotors, I believe they are defective and I am arguing with them to switch them out for new ones. The tires were all worn and have bumps, this car has less than 7000 miles on it. So they are telling me I have to deal with the warranty on the tires now.
I will keep you posted.

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts