Kia K5 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you for the reply, yes I agree on the rotors, I believe they are defective and I am arguing with them to switch them out for new ones. The tires were all worn and have bumps, this car has less than 7000 miles on it. So they are telling me I have to deal with the warranty on the tires now.
I will keep you posted.

Thanks again!
SO...ironically enough...my rotors just shit the bed yesterday. Someone cut me off on the highway and I had to jack up on my brakes. So now I'm dealing with the dealership in regards to that. Keep me updated if you get anywhere with them being replaced. It'll cost me $130 to have them resurfaced, but I'm thinking of just replacing them because if they are thinner, they will warp again.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
118 Posts
Thank you for the reply, yes I agree on the rotors, I believe they are defective and I am arguing with them to switch them out for new ones. The tires were all worn and have bumps, this car has less than 7000 miles on it. So they are telling me I have to deal with the warranty on the tires now.
I will keep you posted.

Thanks again!
What trim do you have (LX, LXS, GT-Line, EX or GT)? Also, what is the manufacture date (on the drivers door jamb)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
SO...ironically enough...my rotors just shit the bed yesterday. Someone cut me off on the highway and I had to jack up on my brakes. So now I'm dealing with the dealership in regards to that. Keep me updated if you get anywhere with them being replaced. It'll cost me $130 to have them resurfaced, but I'm thinking of just replacing them because if they are thinner, they will warp again.
I told the dealer I would except nothing less than them replacing the rotors, the car has only 7,000 and they had to be defective. I had also call they Kia affairs and reported it and they were reaching out to the deal as well. I just heard back today from them and they did get the authorization to replace the rotors with new ones. The tires were ruined also and they are replacing the tires as well as doing alignment. I am still waiting to hear why this had happened. Just from using your brakes hard, I don't think should just ruin the rotors. I am wondering if they just are putting bad rotors on and that should be recalled.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
384 Posts
Yeah, it shouldn't do that, especially since the emergency braking system would probably brake harder or at least just as hard. If possible, try to see if they can give you some info on why your rotors would warp like that when they go to replace your rotor and tires. Maybe the info could also help out Cojax and others in the future.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I told the dealer I would except nothing less than them replacing the rotors, the car has only 7,000 and they had to be defective. I had also call they Kia affairs and reported it and they were reaching out to the deal as well. I just heard back today from them and they did get the authorization to replace the rotors with new ones. The tires were ruined also and they are replacing the tires as well as doing alignment. I am still waiting to hear why this had happened. Just from using your brakes hard, I don't think should just ruin the rotors. I am wondering if they just are putting bad rotors on and that should be recalled.
I will be reaching out to the dealership about that today. They are trying to charge me $150 to resurface my rotors and I am totally not paying it. Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just leased a 21 GT Line last week and noticed on higher fan speeds (4+), especially in recirculation mode, there’s a slight, annoying whistling coming from the vents. Probably not enough to classify it as an issue at the dealership but it’ll be annoying for a few years.

They’re all open and I’ve tried positioning them so there’s no resistance, but it’s full there. Anyone else hear the same thing? Wondering if it’s just the vent design.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just leased a 21 GT Line last week and noticed on higher fan speeds (4+), especially in recirculation mode, there’s a slight, annoying whistling coming from the vents. Probably not enough to classify it as an issue at the dealership but it’ll be annoying for a few years.

They’re all open and I’ve tried positioning them so there’s no resistance, but it’s full there. Anyone else hear the same thing? Wondering if it’s just the vent design.
I have yet to hear about this, I would contact the dealership though. I feel as if we are the test subjects for a new car so we have to notify the dealership of anything. My dealership absolutely hates me because I don't just "deal" with things....if I spend almost 30k on a car that damn thing better be pristine for at LEAST 2 years lol
I would definitely hit up the dealership about it though. I own a GT-Line, and my girlfriend is leasing an LXS and we have not heard any whistling.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
118 Posts
I haven't heard any whistling from the vents, but it hasn't been particularly hot around here yet so, I doubt the fan has kicked up to 4+ yet. I usually keep mine climate control on auto with max fan speed on medium.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
384 Posts
I've had mine cranked up pretty high a few times but I didn't hear any whistling sounds either.

I recommend cracking open the window and/or sunroof a bit as you have the A/C blowing when you first get in. That should help push the hot air out faster so you don't have to keep it on high for too long in the mean time until you can get it looked at.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
118 Posts
I had an issue on the Optima I traded in when I got the K5. It was a knocking sound coming from the roof. Air was escaping through the sunroof when the fan was up high. they replaced the seal on the sunroof, but it started doing it again. Turns out there is a vent in the trunk which had become warped and air was not venting out off the car correctly, so as fresh air was pumped into the car, there was nowhere for the air to go except through the sunroof. Once they fixed the vent, no more issue.

·
Registered
2021 GT-Line
14 Posts
So I figured we could create this thread to list any type of known issues with the K5, and possible fixes/solutions.

I have a short list of bugs/issues that really got to me in the 6 months I've owned me GT-Line

1) Steering wheel rub, Steering wheel rubs when turning it. I thought nothing was going on with it, in fact the dealership realized it. Come to find out a bushing in the steering column was no good, so they replaced the entire column under warranty.

2) Glass issues, Windishield created a stress crack within 4 weeks of it. Kia tried to have me put it through insurance, but my insurance wouldn't cover it, and I wasn't going to pay for it. Kia insisted I paid for it even though there was no evidence of impact on the windshield and it clearly was a stress fracture which was created along my passenger side pillar and spread all the way across the windshield. This was a 2 month fight for me, but once I called corporate, sales ate the $1,100 price tag and replaced it as a warranty issue

3) Wind Noises, from what I hear anyone with a sunroof is hearing some pretty loud wind issues and there is no fix for it

4) Road Noise, I noticed more road noise than normal, kia has no suggestions to correct it aside from replacing my tires with a softer compounded rubber, no thanks lol

5) Paint issues, my fender has developed a rust spot right where it hits the headlight. No visible damage, the paint completely chipped off, currently the kia dealership went from "yeah we will definitely cover that" to "We need to wait to hear from corporate"...it's been a week. I'll update as I get more information.

6) Transmission issues, not really an "issue" but i noticed there is a serious delay with the AT when in normal mode with shifting between gears, to the point the car revs high as hell, the only fix Kia told me with this is to put it in sport mode and leave it in that for now on - One thing I noticed is when I take it out of AT and put it in techtronic, I can shift the car as needed. There is still a delay but it is a fraction of a second and once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to comfortably shift the car.

7) My girlfriend just noticed today that her button on her door doesn't work to unlock the car when pressed, but the fob works fine, I need to look into this to try to find a correction/resolution, has anyone else had this problem?

So here is the start of the thread lol if we have a valid resolution please comment below it as resolved along with the resolution. Has anyone else had any of these issues, and has anyone noticed any other problems?
I have the steering wheel rubbing issue …

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I have the steering wheel rubbing issue …
Take it to the dealer. It's a bearing inside the steering column. If they question it, ask them to call Kia of Attleboro in Massachusetts and inquire about it. They have to replace the entire steering column. It took about 6 weeks for the part to come in, and a day to install it.

·
Registered
2021 GT-Line
14 Posts
Take it to the dealer. It's a bearing inside the steering column. If they question it, ask them to call Kia of Attleboro in Massachusetts and inquire about it. They have to replace the entire steering column. It took about 6 weeks for the part to come in, and a day to install it.
Ughhhhh...... thanks for the info though

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had mine cranked up pretty high a few times but I didn't hear any whistling sounds either.

I recommend cracking open the window and/or sunroof a bit as you have the A/C blowing when you first get in. That should help push the hot air out faster so you don't have to keep it on high for too long in the mean time until you can get it looked at.
That’s what I’ve been doing. Turning up the music too, irritating but if that’s all I need to worry about on a lease I could probably deal.

However, the floor vent on HI has a whistle that’s much worse than the AC, seems to die down a bit when I go to 82. But HI and Floor is pretty bad. Gotta find some time to bring it in, hopefully they hear it and don’t try to tell me it’s normal. Oh well. I’ll post back when I bring it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I found the wind noise an issue but I generally find that it's the drivers window, it goes away when I crack the window very slightly. I need to call service to see if there isn't an adjustment on windows travel.

Yesterday when driving I had a weird issue in that I was accelerating, passing a car and the forward collision warning came on and changing something on the radio. The alert muted the audio but it didn't unmute for several miles until I was getting off the highway and crossed a white line entering the off ramp, then the audio came back normally. Super odd. I'm going to say it was just a perfect storm of coincidences.
I, too, have had my front speakers just stop working after getting a crossing line sound notification. They came back on about 15 minutes later.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I, too, have had my front speakers just stop working after getting a crossing line sound notification. They came back on about 15 minutes later.
Yeah I think this is a sensor thing that can likely not be fixed. If you cross a line again or get close enough to set the sensor off, it does fix it I know that for a fact. I've had this happen in other vehicles as well though.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
384 Posts
I've also had that happen to me before. I think it lasted (even after engine off) until I got the beeping to go off again. I think it's something with the programming and how it's handling the commands in order. Like it's somehow missing the command to put the volume back to normal. It's either having the command stuck in limbo until it's called again or another command took priority over it right after it was called, and therefore overriding it.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts