Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else want to cut more holes in the grille? Just wondering i know its not a sports car and its not like it will give it more air to make it faster but I just feel the grille should have more holes cut out

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Honestly, with the heat output of the motor, you'd be better off with a functional vented hood rather than a wider air intake.

This car is perfect where it stays cold, as you never need to turn the heat on. Just leave the windows up with the A/C system off, you'll be sweating in no time.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
85 Posts
Assuming it's designed like everything else in modern cars, they're open in certain places and closed in others in order to give the system adequate air flow while also not allowing too much air in the engine bay or in certain areas.. Allowing air to go in to the wrong place could cause turbulence in the engine bay that would unsettle the front of the car, or too much air might add more air resistance and affect your fuel economy 🤷🏼‍♂️

When I had my civic, I data logged my intake air temp, coolant temp, system voltage and avg fuel economy with a scangauge2 because I added clear plastic behind the grill, cut to fit so it looked factory but blocked air into the engine bay. This was only during winter in Detroit, in order to facilitate the motor getting to operating temp faster, increasing my fuel efficiency and giving me faster heat from the climate system, as well as keeping the bay warmer as the car sits (meaning it doesn't get fully cold if I'm getting back in in 15min from the grocery). The scangauge2 was to make sure I don't force the system to run too hot, which would cause the cooling fans to kick on, resulting in a drop in fuel efficiency. I would often remove one side temporarily if it was going to be warmer that day

1 - 5 of 5 Posts