Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any comments from those who had a chance to drive their gt (not gt-line) in snow conditions?

I imagine dedicated winter tires would make a world of difference, but what about stock set up?

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
434 Posts
Depending on snow accumulation, the all season can work. But with colder weather and heavy snow, winter tires is a must. I got 235-45-18 on my car and the 2 months of snow I drove it was great. No issues.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice to know the 17" wheels will fit the larger brakes on the gt. I had winter tires for the g37s, made the car totally driveable in the snow (rwd).

If I were to get the k5 g5, i'd probably go one winter without (work from home). See how it goes. Size wise, 215/225 would be better (and cheaper). Just need to be gingerly with the throttle and turning.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
First, let me say that I have zero experience driving in snow. lol

With that out of the way, I always thought that having skinnier tires would probably benefit snow driving as it'll allow you to dig into the snow to find traction on pavement?

... Or maybe I just watch too much rally driving. 😂

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That assertion is correct. You have more weight per unit area with a narrower tire than a wider one. Smooth inputs are needed for driving in the snow. That is no abrupt throttle, brake or turning.

Around here (chicago), the only real challenge of snow driving is when it's coming down or has accumulated. Beyond that, within a day or two roads are mostly cleared/salted.

Re going with narrower tires, one just has to make sure the load capacity is still met and rolling diameter remains the same. From the '21 owners manual.

Load index of 94. I'd probably go with a 225/50/17 or 225/55/17. Going with the former might be cheaper but will introduce a slight speedometer error (58mph actual at indicated 60 mph). Which is fine for winter driving. All/most of the tires in either size have load index of 98, so good in that area.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
434 Posts
Nice to know the 17" wheels will fit the larger brakes on the gt. I had winter tires for the g37s, made the car totally driveable in the snow (rwd).

If I were to get the k5 g5, i'd probably go one winter without (work from home). See how it goes. Size wise, 215/225 would be better (and cheaper). Just need to be gingerly with the throttle and turning.
My bad.... My winters are 18s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts