Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT line FWD
46 Posts
Only the higher end androids have Qi wireless, mine doesn't and I am not spending the money for a new one yet. I stick it the Qi port though. Makes a great holder. I have usb cable when it needs power.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My husband has an Android phone and I have an iPhone. My husband’s Android doesn’t charge when placed in the wireless charger but my iPhone does just fine.
Certain larger phones, like the iPhone 13 Pro Max, won’t charge properly, it might be the same with some Android devices. After setting the phone in the charger, slowly pull it upwards by about a centimeter or two. If, while you’re holding it, it shows the “charging” interface, then that’s possibly the case. Some have tried putting a small piece of styrofoam to lift the iPhone and it works to align the iPhone’s charging ring with the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My husband has an Android phone and I have an iPhone. My husband’s Android doesn’t charge when placed in the wireless charger but my iPhone does just fine.
The dealership kept telling me that my phone needs to be rightside-up. But depending on where the wireless charging is located on the back of the phone. It might need to be upside-down, where the charging port is pointing to the ceiling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Pixel 6 Pro charges sometimes, but not always. To get it to work at all, I have to put it in upside down.

Also drives me nuts that there is no wireless Android Auto in this car when my wife's 21' Sorento has it. Had to get a wireless dongle which strangely connects Android Auto through Apple CarPlay to the headunit? Weird, but it works pretty reliably.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My Pixel 6 Pro charges sometimes, but not always. To get it to work at all, I have to put it in upside down.

Also drives me nuts that there is no wireless Android Auto in this car when my wife's 21' Sorento has it. Had to get a wireless dongle which strangely connects Android Auto through Apple CarPlay to the headunit? Weird, but it works pretty reliably.
Gotta plug somethin vs just let it connect magically. you all need to just get over some of the if it aint easy to do do and I gotta do something simple like plug a cord in. In 30 years you youngsters who are so fixated in this will be surprised about how different things are then. 30 years ago, how would you have liked, no internet on your phone, and when getting on the internet you would have to use your landline phone to dial in to connect. BTW, would most of the time take 3 to 5 minutes to load a webpage,

I appologize for this rant, but have heard this complaint about having to plug in a cord alot lately and not just here.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,333 Posts
Gotta plug somethin vs just let it connect magically. you all need to just get over some of the if it aint easy to do do and I gotta do something simple like plug a cord in. In 30 years you youngsters who are so fixated in this will be surprised about how different things are then. 30 years ago, how would you have liked, no internet on your phone, and when getting on the internet you would have to use your landline phone to dial in to connect. BTW, would most of the time take 3 to 5 minutes to load a webpage,

I appologize for this rant, but have heard this complaint about having to plug in a cord alot lately and not just here.
I think it's just because of the inconsistency of how Kia has packaged things, and how useless the wireless charger becomes if you are already charging it via a cable when using it to also connect. I've also lived through the dial-up modem days and in no way would I ever want to go back to it so I always look forward to the progress of new tech all the time.

There are definitely things that could have been executed better so I totally get the annoyance of the whole wired connectivity for having a fully loaded model versus a model without the bigger screen but has the ability to wirelessly connect and, therefore, reduces clutter around the middle console area. I personally found it a very strange segmentation when researching the differences in packages and trims before purchasing my car so in the end, I opted to go with the smaller screen for the convenience of wireless AA/AC and prioritized that over features that are dependent on a subscription, like the onboard map navigation.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think it's just because of the inconsistency of how Kia has packaged things, and how useless the wireless charger becomes if you are already charging it via a cable when using it to also connect. I've also lived through the dial-up modem days and in no way would I ever want to go back to it so I always look forward to the progress of new tech all the time.

There are definitely things that could have been executed better so I totally get the annoyance of the whole wired connectivity for having a fully loaded model versus a model without the bigger screen but has the ability to wirelessly connect and, therefore, reduces clutter around the middle console area. I personally found it a very strange segmentation when researching the differences in packages and trims before purchasing my car so in the end, I opted to go with the smaller screen for the convenience of wireless AA/AC and prioritized that over features that are dependent on a subscription, like the onboard map navigation.
I'm confused. What are you talking about when you say the onboard navigation is dependent on a subscription? Not only does it NOT require any kind of subscription, but updates are free. You can even ignore the updates if you want, and you have GPS navigation for the life of the vehicle.

Oh, and you talk about small screen vs large screen ... my understanding is that the large screen is actually one of the hurdles to wireless AA. It somehow has something to do with Bluetooth licensing and/or some kind of additional processor abilities to fill that 10.25" screen.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,333 Posts
Oh, if you look at the subscription service, there are some features in the 10.25" screen that would require the Ultimate subscription package to utilize fully. That includes Voice Assist, Connected Routing, and Connected Weather. Updates you can always do manually (I think it's probably the only way for the K5) so OTA updates aren't that big of a deal.

The smaller screen doesn't have onboard navigation to use any of those so it's more basic in that sense.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts