Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on Reddit and can’t seem to find the actual source from Kia but it’s consistent with what others have been reporting.

From KIA USA:
Due to continued production delays and the unknown timing of when KUS will be able to fulfill submitted requests, all unfilled 22MY K5 GT requests have been deleted from our system and KUS will not accept further requests until it is known when stable production will resume. We believe that this will not occur until sometime next year.
Any currently allocated units will be prioritized for production this year.

The details of the deleted requests have been provided to your regions. Thank you for your understanding and patience during this current production issue.

Definitely makes me happy I grabbed a GT when I did, who knows when or even if they’ll start making them again.

·
Registered
'22 GT-Line AWD
71 Posts
I can’t find it anywhere on Kia’s site but here is a link to the Reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kia/comments/qau8gc
Thanks man. I reached out to my dealer since I'm one of those in the queue for a GT1. He said he hasn't heard anything about this yet but he'll get back to me Thursday when his general manager is in... I guess the GM can contact corporate and get the details if there's any truth to it.

He did tell me that something like this happened over the summer as well, but it only turned into a 30 day stoppage so they could catch up.

·
Registered
'22 GT-Line AWD
71 Posts
Might be able to pick up a Sonata N Line? Not sure if they are halting production of those as well. If you can get over the hideous front end that is....
Haha I can't, they're pretty ugly.

Maybe it's a blessing though... I might drop down to an AWD GT-Line and wait a few years for a proper aftermarket tuner. Then see if I can swap the drive train from a wrecked GT. I feel like an engine and transmission swap would be easier than trying to install an AWD system after the fact.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got the bad news from my dealer. I'm very sad now.

View attachment 2130
Thanks for updating us. I was skeptical it was true but I guess it is, it’s too bad that everyone who was waiting on one won’t get one now.

I wonder how many 22 GTs were produced? It has to be a pretty smaller number considering they only produced them for a few months this year.

·
Registered
'22 GT-Line AWD
71 Posts
Thanks for updating us. I was skeptical it was true but I guess it is, it’s too bad that everyone who was waiting on one won’t get one now.

I wonder how many 22 GTs were produced? It has to be a pretty smaller number considering they only produced them for a few months this year.
Yeah the number has to be in the low to mod triple digits. The last few days I've been checking out GT's nation wide and from all the sites I've been on, I've seen maybe 7 different ones. Two of them I inquired about are no longer or are bait and switch ads too, so that's fun. One dealer didn't know the difference between the GT trim and the GT1 package. Lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the number has to be in the low to mod triple digits. The last few days I've been checking out GT's nation wide and from all the sites I've been on, I've seen maybe 7 different ones. Two of them I inquired about are no longer or are bait and switch ads too, so that's fun. One dealer didn't know the difference between the GT trim and the GT1 package. Lol
I think I saw somewhere that they made 600 21 GTs so I’m guessing maybe half of that for 22s?

Oh man I feel your pain there. Calling around when I was looking for mine, a dealer that had two on their site actually didn’t have any and wanted me to come in and look at used Optimas because they were similar to a K5 GT lol. Another dealer had three on their site, when I called one was already sold and the other two were a month away from delivery.

When I finally found mine I had the girl on the phone confirm it was a GT like five times and I was still skeptical when I drove out to look at it. I was lucky I was able to get up there when I did because someone tried to buy it while I took it for a test drive.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
669 Posts
Haha I can't, they're pretty ugly.

Maybe it's a blessing though... I might drop down to an AWD GT-Line and wait a few years for a proper aftermarket tuner. Then see if I can swap the drive train from a wrecked GT. I feel like an engine and transmission swap would be easier than trying to install an AWD system after the fact.
That would cost you a stinger. Just go get a stinger instead.

·
Registered
'22 GT-Line AWD
71 Posts
Well I did end up looking at the Stinger but didn't care for the body style as much.

Found a black GT-Line + AWD Premium package for $30,740 about 40 miles away (they got it in yesterday and one lady was already looking at it when I'd inquired). My only beef with it minus the smaller engine and traditional transmission, is the lack of a premium sound system. The dealer set me up with $330/m lease option and at that price it should allow me to save up to be able to buy the rest of the car outright once the lease is up. As an added bonus they partner with a local company that does ceramic coating that they'll be throwing in for free and it's under warranty for the 3 years of the lease.

It's not exactly what I wanted, but I think I'll be happy with it overall. And in three years a lot can change. There may be a lot more aftermarket parts to really beef it up, or I might be able to pull the drive train out of a wrecked K5 GT or Stinger GT-Line and swap it. Or I might just decide to give it back and buy something nicer. We'll see. :)

I have a wedding to go to after work today so I'll be picking it up Saturday. Missouri is a weird state where you pay the taxes at the DMV, but with leasing it they can roll the taxes into the payments. Since I already had the tax money set aside, that will allow me to do some of the light vinyl cosmetic work and swap out the wheels I'd planned on doing down the road.

·
Registered
'22 GT-Line AWD
71 Posts
If you love it... Go for it. If you're settling... Look at other options. Don't settle.
I don't love it, but I like it a great deal. But that's okay, like most parents do with their kids, I'll push my hopes and dreams onto it and shape it into something I love over time. Haha.

But really, the performance side can wait (if I decide to do anything at all). I already have one car I can't stop throwing money at for aftermarket parts. This one is being bought as the daily driver so I should be thinking practically.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts