Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got back from a 2500-mile trip in the K5, and I was really impressed. I have to say I was almost equally impresed with the 3 Turbo Optimas I had a few years ago. That 2.0 turbo was great for passing and general highway maneuvers, ut the 2.5 trumps it. get that engine spinning, and when you breathe on the accelerator, the car just lunges forward and pulls and pulls. You don't need to push the gas pedal hard, just a light touch will gett he turbo spooled up and the engine rarin' to go.

And as a bonus, I got a consistent 34+ mpg, with some partial tanks going a good bit higher before being interrupted by the foothills of the Rockies.

I guess my only "complaint" would be the firm ride. The old Optima SXL's I had combined great power, excellent mileage and a compliant ride in one package. In Europe, GT means a car that will cover lots of miles at high speed and in great comfort. In America, GT means a sports car that can slide around racetracks and take off-ramps at high speed. LOL.

But the sometimes harsh ride isn't enough to make me give up the K5. It's still a great road car ... just stay away from bad roads.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The sometimes harsh ride is a product of the sports tuned suspension. Before my knee started causing me problems had been driving corvettes for 10+ years, plus 4 years earlier in life. You want a harsh hard ride go run in a corvette on the highways and roads we have here in the US. A smooth road you don't feel it, but the roads we have is almost always a rough ride. THe upgraded seats I had in the C7 negated that just a bit, but not completely.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first time you rip through a 45 mph curve at 85 plus you forget all about a few bumps.
Yeah, but you do those about 5% of the time, and the rest is a bit harsher at times on the old back. It's entirely workable, don't get me wrong, but there were times I wished for more of a silkier ride when just blowing down the highway. Those electronically-adjustable shocks would be great, but that's a lot of money.

No, I'm no sissy, and I've had some stiff-riding cars in my day. But I've also learned (mainly from BMW) that you can have a good ride AND handling if the suspension engineering is right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts