Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I gave Tire Rack a call looking for recommendations on 18 inch wheels for my GT for the winter. They said the car was too new and they couldn’t recommend anything so I’m on my own.

Looking over all the specs I believe the Rial Lucca wheels will fit as they are 18x8 with a +50mm offset and 5-114 pattern. I plan on pairing them with continental vikingcontact 7s in 225x50 18. Does anyone have any insight as to whether this combo will work?

Wheels
Tires

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
I think the tires will be on the small side for the wheel size width. Your tire side walls will be really stretched, and the rim lips will be exposed. Just to give you an idea, the GT-Line and EX has 7.5" width wheels with 235 wide tires.

Perhaps look into a narrower wheel as well. A tire with thicker sidewalls would probably be good, too, for when you hit an unseen rock or pothole underneath the snow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the tires will be on the small side for the wheel size width. Your tire side walls will be really stretched, and the rim lips will be exposed. Just to give you an idea, the GT-Line and EX has 7.5" width wheels with 235 wide tires.

Perhaps look into a narrower wheel as well. A tire with thicker sidewalls would probably be good, too, for when you hit an unseen rock or pothole underneath the snow.
Good point, maybe I’ll go with 235/45 on the 8 inch rim, theres only a few 7.5 inch rims to choose from plus we don’t get deep snow very often where I live so the 235 width will probably be better for me most of the time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can run 225/50/18 on a 18x8 wheel with most tires. I had this size on my G 37 without any issues. Just make sure what ever tires you pick have same or higher load index relative to stock.

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT Line Wolf Gray w/Red Leather
41 Posts
So today I gave Tire Rack a call looking for recommendations on 18 inch wheels for my GT for the winter. They said the car was too new and they couldn’t recommend anything so I’m on my own.

Looking over all the specs I believe the Rial Lucca wheels will fit as they are 18x8 with a +50mm offset and 5-114 pattern. I plan on pairing them with continental vikingcontact 7s in 225x50 18. Does anyone have any insight as to whether this combo will work?

Wheels
Tires
Greetings,
I purchased my new wheels and tires from CariD. You don’t have to stay with the 50 mm offset though. I went with a 40 and I have lowering springs on mine and have no issues. CariD also has super easy financing if needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone! I managed to get through to someone at Tire Rack that looked at all the specs and said my setup should work. I checked the Continental site and it lists 8 inch as the max acceptable wheel width for 225 tires so I should be good there too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone! I managed to get through to someone at Tire Rack that looked at all the specs and said my setup should work. I checked the Continental site and it lists 8 inch as the max acceptable wheel width for 225 tires so I should be good there too.
I'm curious which specific tire and size you're looking at. Most 225/45/18 tires show 7-8.5" as acceptable rim widths.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm curious which specific tire and size you're looking at. Most 225/45/18 tires show 7-8.5" as acceptable rim widths.
The Continental Vikingcontact 7 in 225/50R18. On the continental site the specs for that specific size list the approved rim width as 6-8 inches. It lists the 235/45R18 acceptable rim width as 7.5-9 inches. So I could go with either one but the 225 is closer to the stock tire size on the GT.

·
Registered
78 Posts
On tire rack, the 235/45/18 is $8 more per tire, so $32 more. Compared to 235/50/18, $15 more per tire (compared to 225).

Revs/mi
773 - 225/50/18
789 - 235/45/18
762 - 235/50/18

The 235/50 will give you a slightly taller sidewall, while 235/45 will give you a shorter sidewall. Both will result in slight speedo error.

If roads in your area are mostly broken up, I'd go with the taller sidewall option for more cushioning. You won't be railing corners with any winter tire anyway. I don't recall what the stock tires were on a k5 gt other than they were 245/40/19, so you'll probably want to look those up to see what the revs/mile or diameter is.

FWIW, stock tires on my stinger in 225/45/18 resulted in a speedo error of about 1-2 mph at 60+ miles an hour compared to a garmin gps. The car was reading too high. From researching this, such errors appear acceptable so long as the car reads higher than actual speed.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
434 Posts
The Continental Vikingcontact 7 in 225/50R18. On the continental site the specs for that specific size list the approved rim width as 6-8 inches. It lists the 235/45R18 acceptable rim width as 7.5-9 inches. So I could go with either one but the 225 is closer to the stock tire size on the GT.
Stock on the GT is 245 40 19 so 235 is closer to stock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
^^Can't just compare tire sizes. Two different tires by 2 different mfg's can have different diameters (revs/mi), even though both are the same "size".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On tire rack, the 235/45/18 is $8 more per tire, so $32 more. Compared to 235/50/18, $15 more per tire (compared to 225).

Revs/mi
773 - 225/50/18
789 - 235/45/18
762 - 235/50/18

The 235/50 will give you a slightly taller sidewall, while 235/45 will give you a shorter sidewall. Both will result in slight speedo error.

If roads in your area are mostly broken up, I'd go with the taller sidewall option for more cushioning. You won't be railing corners with any winter tire anyway. I don't recall what the stock tires were on a k5 gt other than they were 245/40/19, so you'll probably want to look those up to see what the revs/mile or diameter is.

FWIW, stock tires on my stinger in 225/45/18 resulted in a speedo error of about 1-2 mph at 60+ miles an hour compared to a garmin gps. The car was reading too high. From researching this, such errors appear acceptable so long as the car reads higher than actual speed.
I really appreciate your write up here! So the stock tires on the GT are 245/40R19 which have a circumference of 26.7 inches and sidewall of 3.9 inches and go 755 revs/mile.

225/50R18 are 26.9 inches, 4.4 inch sidewall and 751 revs/mile

235/45R18 are 26.3 inches, 4.2 inch sidewall and 766 revs/mile.

235/50R18 are 27.3 inches, 4.6 inch sidewall and 740 revs/mile.

I would get the most side wall without going too far over the stock circumference with the 225 option and the narrower tire should be better in the snow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^Can't just compare tire sizes. Two different tires by 2 different mfg's can have different diameters (revs/mi), even though both are the same "size".
Huh I was not aware of that. The stock Pirelli P Zeros are 778 revs/mile. The closest for the Continental tires are the 225/50R18 at 773 revs/mile.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Comparing just tire sizes is good for a rough estimate IMO. Being the engineering type, I prefer more exacting numbers :)

Also, that side wall measurement above needs to be doubled :) , there's a top and bottom sidewall that make up the diameter in addition to the wheel diameter ;).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts